PDA

View Full Version : Lots of damn squat videos.

bjohnso
12-21-2007, 07:44 PM
My partner and I took some squat videos (mainly box squat) earlier tonight. Our main concern is if we are going parallel. Other form critiques are welcome, of course. I bolded the ones we want to have reviewed the most - obviously I don't expect you to watch all of these.

Me, 225*1

cGMPTccNW28

Partner, 225*4

FxlSXSKUlss

Me, 275*1

qSBBQx6QtO4

bjohnso
12-21-2007, 07:49 PM
Me, 285*1. 275 was decent form, I'm not sure about this one.

dI5Aaasa5Ms

Partner, 285*1

0_qQ-4vKIDQ

bjohnso
12-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Partner, 295*1

mj2IEpMN38A

Me, 300*1. I'm not sure about this one, you guys be the judge.

DT5AXPtqC4I

Partner, 315.

No6pmXAYdSs

bjohnso
12-21-2007, 09:43 PM
Me, parallel squat 225*5. Is this actually parallel?

a1DVkzxtc5k

Partner, 325*1

5SBWNwfr0_g

RickTheDestroyer
12-21-2007, 09:50 PM
Those look pretty good man. That box is a good inch or two below parallel, which is fine. I seldom do anything lower than exactly parallel on box squats these days. The free squats were good on depth- the third was the highest one and it was still probably a good inch or so under parallel.
The main thing with the box squats is that you need to be sitting back more- you're doing a better job of it than your partner, but you should both be sitting back further to really pull your hammies and hips into the movement. You almost want your shins to stay perpendicular to the ground.

deeder
12-21-2007, 09:53 PM
You are definitely hitting parallel on all your squats. You have really good form too! You might want to try to sit back some more on the box squats. If you can keep your legs perfectly perpendicular to the ground that's what you want.

Your buddy is a little high though. His knees go a lot more forward than yours.. Therefore he's still squatting as deep but technically not hitting parallel.

RickTheDestroyer
12-21-2007, 09:55 PM
Jinx!

deeder
12-21-2007, 09:56 PM
Jinx!

Lol! Did you watch all of them? I did :p So I think I win hahaha

RickTheDestroyer
12-21-2007, 10:03 PM
Nah I only watched one of the partner ones, but I watched like 4 of his. That'd be why I missed his buddy's lack of depth- although he might be just kissing parallel.

bjohnso
12-21-2007, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I try to sit back as far as I can without tipping over (and believe me, I have tipped over before, it wasn't pretty). I think it's because I take a rather narrow stance. I'll try widening my stance bit by bit, but it takes quite a bit to get loosened up for these - I'm really stiff. I am driving through my heels though.

My partner is aware that he is not going as deep as I am, but we wanted clarification - I've seen videos that I thought were parallel squats and people here said they were not, and vice versa. Hopefully he'll be posting on here soon.

This is definately one of my favorite exercises, it takes a lot of discipline and concentration. I've added about 50lbs in maybe 6-8 weeks (steep learning curve). I'll probably start working regular squats into my routine again.

Thanks again.

Slim Schaedle
12-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Is that gym in Cincinnati!?

bjohnso
12-21-2007, 10:39 PM
Yeah. Dumbells go up to 150 and they don't suck, back room with a power rack, trap bar, all that crap that UC doesn't have. I'll be jumping back and forth between that one and the UC rec winter quarter.

Slim Schaedle
12-21-2007, 10:40 PM
What's the name?

Besides Paramount on the west side, I didn't know there was any place like that.

Oh yeah, squats looks great too.

You are one of the only ones at UC that knows how to lift.

bjohnso
12-21-2007, 10:56 PM
What's the name?

Besides Paramount on the west side, I didn't know there was any place like that.

Oh yeah, squats looks great too.

You are one of the only ones at UC that knows how to lift.

Heh, thaks man. Now I need to learn how to cut. I didn't realize how heavy I was until I saw my own videos. The gym is called Bodymasters, it's in Mason. Its a very small gym, but we always get that back room to ourselves on leg days (no homo).

monstermax
01-06-2008, 03:49 PM
squats #1