PDA

View Full Version : Finally benched 225 tonight

berfles
12-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Took me a damn long enough time. Last time I tried maxing out I got to 215 and failed 220. In July I couldn't even do 195x1 and 7 months before that I had trouble repping 140lbs. I wanted to hit 225 by Christmas and I did that so I guess I'm pretty happy. Now I did:

Barx20
135x6
205x1
215x1
225x1
230x0

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/th_DSCN6962.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/?action=view&current=DSCN6962.flv)

I got like .7 of a rep at 230 but I just stalled out, thanks to my dumb ass triceps again. The weight seems to fly off my chest and it just sticks there. I'm going to start floor presses this week to see if I can help that out. I can post a video of the botched attempt if anyone wants.

I know I could get 230 but today was a bad day because I couldn't eat due to getting a blood test so I didn't have my usual food.

Maybe my weakest lift is finally starting to go somewhere. I added about 15lbs to it in two months but that doesn't seem like a whole lot to me but then I realized I haven't really put any real weight on since then either.

j_man_honda
12-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Good job bro. 2plates on each side feels great the first time

bjohnso
12-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Nailed that bro, 2 plates per side feels awesome the first time you do it, doesn't it?

berfles
12-21-2007, 08:49 PM
If I had 4 45s it would :p I need to pick some up.

If I could get my triceps up to snuff I think I'd blow my number out the window in no time.

Indifference
12-21-2007, 09:19 PM
grats on the 2pps! Also grats on having good music taste.

RickTheDestroyer
12-21-2007, 09:53 PM
I bet you've got 250 if you can tuck your elbows some... which you oughtta do anyway for the sake of your shoulder health. Otherwise looks real good bro. Congrats!

berfles
12-21-2007, 09:57 PM
I bet you've got 250 if you can tuck your elbows some... which you oughtta do anyway for the sake of your shoulder health. Otherwise looks real good bro. Congrats!

For some reason tucking/flaring confuses me. I always thought elbows should be flared, but maybe they're TOO flared.

If my triceps didn't hold me back I think benching would be a much higher number for me. It's only the middle portion, off the chest and lockout seem fine to me.

RickTheDestroyer
12-21-2007, 10:01 PM
I stay tucked throughout, but word on the street is that it's apparently best to start tucked and then flare them on the way up. Keeping them flared like that at the bottom is bodybuilder-perpetuated bull**** that ruins shoulders and pulls a lot of the stress off your tris and onto your delts/chest.

berfles
12-21-2007, 10:06 PM
I don't even notice myself flaring, it's going to take a lot of videos to see the difference for me. Maybe I'll go look at other bench examples.

CleverName
12-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Awesome! Welcome to the two plate club! You'll be repping it 5x5 before you know it. :D

berfles
12-21-2007, 10:51 PM
This look any better? I tried keeping my elbows closer to my body. It's only the bar though.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/th_DSCN6964.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/?action=view&current=DSCN6964.flv)

I think I flare them so much because I like the stretch I feel in my pecs, keeping them close like this doesn't stretch them at all.

Awesome! Welcome to the two plate club! You'll be repping it 5x5 before you know it.

Thanks, I hope so :) I should be repping 200 next week, currently at 195 for my 5x5 and only needed one more rep to complete the 25 total.

RickTheDestroyer
12-21-2007, 11:15 PM
The first few looked really good- they all looked better, but you gradually started drifting up a little as the set progressed. Even in the other video you weren't flaring that bad, but it was enough that I thought I should say something. You'll probably feel a little more stretch when you put weight on the bar... otherwise maybe do some dumbbell bench once in awhile if you need the stretch.

berfles
12-21-2007, 11:25 PM
I'll try not flaring as much this week. I wonder how my current numbers will be affected though since not flaring involves the triceps more and they're my weak point. I guess I may have to take a plate or two off.

WBBIRL
12-21-2007, 11:33 PM
Congrats on 2 plates man, every time you can add another 45 to the stack it gets you pumped for sure.

My tri's are actually my strong point but I'd be happier if they weren't =/ I can lockout a good 100 pounds more then I can get off my chest. At least I was locking out 400+ when my bench max was 315

I guess either way a weakness will hurt your max efforts. Good work man!!!

Maj. Office Gut
12-22-2007, 12:35 AM
Great job! benching 2 plates is the first time I ever felt like I was moving decent weight compared to the average human. You will be benching 3 plates before you know it =)

RickTheDestroyer
12-22-2007, 08:52 AM
I'll try not flaring as much this week. I wonder how my current numbers will be affected though since not flaring involves the triceps more and they're my weak point. I guess I may have to take a plate or two off.
Honestly- they might be your weak point because it's harder to pull them into the movement with your elbows out. I'm not sure they're weak, they might just be at a mechanical disadvantage.

berfles
12-22-2007, 09:29 AM
Honestly- they might be your weak point because it's harder to pull them into the movement with your elbows out. I'm not sure they're weak, they might just be at a mechanical disadvantage.

I thought once the weight was off your chest a distance your tris took over regardless or elbows, just a little less maybe if they were flared?

I have no idea. One would think benching would be the easiest lift to do, but I seem to have more issues with this form than my squats and deadlifts :scratch:

I'll probably try a bunch of stuff on Monday to see what less flare feels like.

hulkinout
12-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Congrats, Berfles! Better start buying those bigger shirts soon! You'll be hulking out of your current ones in no time.

zen
12-22-2007, 10:32 AM

I think that going to tucked elbows could set his bench back for a little while, but I agree that he should do it. Sometimes you need to take a step back to take 2 steps forward.

Also, berfles, I noticed in the video where you experimented with tucked elbows, that you were trying to bring the bar down in a straight line, and you were causing your arms to waver to compensate. It's okay, when you tuck the elbows, for the bar to curve down and touch at a lower point on your chest.