PDA

View Full Version : How much protien is too much protien?

Maj. Office Gut
12-22-2007, 01:22 AM
I know this may be a stupid nub question.. I generally read you need 1-1.5 g of protien a day if you are lifting heavy. My question is how much is too much or is there such a thing? I am about 198-205lbs depending on the time of day and I have been hitting close to 350-375gs a day. Usually 120-150 from shakes and the rest is lean meats. The more protien I eat the more solid I seem to look and feel. I just don't want to over do it...if thereis such a thing.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Newb still learning..:withstupi:

Fuzzy
12-22-2007, 07:29 AM
Well, eat protein till you stop feeling solid and lean.

whiteman90909
12-22-2007, 09:50 AM
If your pee turns black, its too much.

VikingWarlord
12-22-2007, 10:42 AM
When you eat so much you vomit, that's probably too much.

Itsnotaboutme
12-23-2007, 10:20 AM
You know there is to much protein and you can get protein poisening from it. It was in a muscle and fitness article. I'll see if I can find it and get back to you.

mc wb
12-24-2007, 06:55 AM
I know this may be a stupid nub question.. I generally read you need 1-1.5 g of protien a day if you are lifting heavy. My question is how much is too much or is there such a thing? I am about 198-205lbs depending on the time of day and I have been hitting close to 350-375gs a day. Usually 120-150 from shakes and the rest is lean meats. The more protien I eat the more solid I seem to look and feel. I just don't want to over do it...if thereis such a thing.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Newb still learning..:withstupi:

Well, remember that the measure is usually based on kg of body weight, not pounds. A high ratio of protein to carbs (40/30/30) is usual for fat loss, but these aren't ratios anyone would want to perpetuate. Athletes are usually advised to look at 25/50/25 ratios

A couple notes:
1) protein can't get stored: excess goes to fat
2) there are some views (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900)that suggest od'ing on protein is stressful for your kidneys, so make sure you're staying hydrated.
3) how much protein one "needs" is a question of considerable discussion. A couple articles you may find interesting are the Protein Debate (http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/proprejudice.htm) and a reply (http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/protein_debate.htm) to this position paper.

A fast summary: 1.4-1.5g per KILOGRAM is a good ratio for weight loss according to recent studies - that's UPPING the usual protein intake because of the benefits of that higher ratio for a limited time for fat loss. So it's likely to be LESS when not into fat loss.

That said: consensus with most coaches doing research in this space seems to be that 2g/1kg is great for folks training. That's slightly LESS than a gram/pound. So at your weight (91kg the conversion is 2.2lbs to 1kg), that's 182g. That's quite a bit less than what you're ingesting.

Why not try that amount and see how you feel, assuming that you're in anotherwise good ratio of protein/carbs/fats

Hope that helps,
season's best to you

mc

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
12-24-2007, 06:53 PM
^^

You're bound to get more than that amount of protein when eating a high calorie diet for the purpose of gaining weight.

Why are you not talking about calories? That's the main thing that will determine the outcome of weight loss/gain. Not ratios. Ratios are rather outdated and since ratios can vary so significantly based upon one's diet that we generally tend to follow the newer per pound rule. 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass and .5 grams of fat per pound of lean body mass... with the rest coming from either protein, carbs, or fat to meet caloric needs. These are guidelines. They are not a "match this number or die" thing.

If a 200 pound guy is trying to gain weight and his metabolism requires him to eat 7,500 calories a day in order to gain weight, he's going to be eating a lot more than 200 grams or so of protein. Protein intake studies have shown that protein is only harmful on the kidneys in individuals with preexisting kidney problems. People with healthy kidneys don't have much to worry about, but it's a good idea to stay hydrated. We should be drinking a lot of water as athletes anyway. Aiming for 128 ounces of fluid a day is a good goal.

Maj. Office Gut
12-24-2007, 07:25 PM
Sorry for the freakin book in advance..

Since I lost about 75% of what I wanted to lose in total (265 down to 205) I upped my cals from about 1500 to about 2200-2500. I also upped my protien from 200-250g max to 350+ and my carbs from about 75g to usually an avg of 150ish or so.

About 3 weeks I was sick for about 8 days and had to quit training. It was frustrating because I had just started my "bulk". (That is a very very scary word to ex big ol fatasses like me VERY SCARY) But even though I was fat I still had little muscle mass having just started hitting the gym this year after years of oompa loompa life. So I am very serious about building up muscle and everything I am reading says to do this properly I need to bulk.. because well.. there is not much to "cut" other than fat. Which I think i have done a great job at. While sick I leaned out to 198-200 down from about 206-208and lost a good amount of mass most noticieably in my shoulders, quads and arms. My 36W pants fit about the same. So my waistline stayed very close to the same size.

I have been eating big(ger) and working hard for about 2 weeks since then. I have gained a lot of weight. I think a lot of it is water from the creatine I started using again..protien I started loading up on again, "normal" amount of carbs from my skimpy 75gs or so. I shot back up to 210 pretty damn fast. I just want to make sure I am doing this right. Being a newb and an ex fatty it can all get kind of confusing.. especially with so many diff opinions and misinformation floating around.

I am noticing gains in all the places I lost while sick.. which is good. I want to continue to grow in the right areas while being as lean as possible. People have suggested fat burners, ripped fuel, hydroxycut etc to help.. But I am on Lisinopril for high blood pressure and I do not think that would be wise. It is getting much better but still not where it needs to be. At my weight I think I should be eating 3000+ calories a day at least to support the muscle growth. But after eating so small for so long it is hard even stuffing 2200-2500 "clean" cals in my mouth. I am doing WBB 1.1 with my youngest brother and it is beating our ass. I take a 40g protien shake, creatine, and eat another 70+gs of protien usually via fish directly after my workouts.

I appreciate all your help, suggestions, what I have learned here has really changed my life,, as cheesy as it sounds.

My progress thread for anyone interested: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=104660