PDA

View Full Version : 3 Day Westside Split

ZenMonkey
12-23-2007, 01:20 PM
Squat ME/bench DE/SLDL/BO Row/Shrugs

DL ME/OHPress/ Pullup/ Calfraise/ Curl

Bench ME/Squat DE/Row/Lunges/CGBP/DecCrunches/

So this is my current routine. I would like to make it into a 3day westside routine. (with rugby practice on tue/thu my time is limited for 4 lifting sessions. ) So I will also be doing various cardio on Tue, Thu, and Sun.

My focus in this order is Squat, DL, and Bench. I do not care at the moment about my total... just squat and dl power. I am thinking about cycling the benching with DLing every week? or should i periodize it over a longer period and switch the bench with DL so I get my main focus on legs. I am kinda top heavy and lack some of the explosive strength I need for rugby in my legs.

This makes sense in my head but may be unclear to any audience so ask if you want better details. Any imporvements are welcome. I am new to power lifting and am excited about my routine I set up. I would also like to incorporate some OLY lifts too, I am comfortable with Clean and Press so that will be the extent of it .... i think,

thanks

-edit: i found some stuff on the search but was curious if i could get some feedback on my split. It looks like there is a different type of cycling suggested on the elitefts site. I may also have too many accessory lifts too.

RhodeHouse
12-23-2007, 02:00 PM
This is how I would set it up.

DAY 1
ME Squat
Good Mornings
Lower Back
Abs

DAY 2
Bench
Military Press
Rows
Lats
Triceps/Lockout

DAY 3
ME DL
Quads
Upper Back
Abs

*I would Do ME Squat 1 week and work up to about 70-80% on DL. The next week I would do ME DL and work up to 70-80% on Squat. You could also do rep work (3-5 reps) when you're not doing ME work.

Mike G
12-23-2007, 02:29 PM
This is a three day I have followed
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/three_days.htm

I really like what Rhodes laid out though and that looks better for your goals during rugby season. I actually think I am going to follow it.

samadhi_smiles
12-23-2007, 02:42 PM
How do you 'do quads'? Is that squats or leg press or what?

Darracq
12-23-2007, 02:51 PM
How do you 'do quads'? Is that squats or leg press or what?

yes, you could do front squats,zeekers,or what ever if your low back is not shot.

ZenMonkey
12-23-2007, 04:25 PM
This is how I would set it up.

DAY 1
ME Squat
Good Mornings
Lower Back
Abs

DAY 2
Bench
Military Press
Rows
Lats
Triceps/Lockout

DAY 3
ME DL
Quads
Upper Back
Abs

*I would Do ME Squat 1 week and work up to about 70-80% on DL. The next week I would do ME DL and work up to 70-80% on Squat. You could also do rep work (3-5 reps) when you're not doing ME work.

so just throw DE on either and easy day for the body part or on the middle day?

RhodeHouse
12-23-2007, 05:50 PM
so just throw DE on either and easy day for the body part or on the middle day?

If I did ME Squat on Monday, I'd work up to a 3-5RM on DL on Friday. Or visa versa.

As far as quad work - leg press, power squat, olympic squats. I don't think front squats are worthwhile for PLing. Zerchers help the DL, but to me, aren't worth the forearm beating,

ZenMonkey
12-26-2007, 08:47 AM
thanks