PDA

View Full Version : how to breathe while running?

homeboy7600
12-23-2007, 07:35 PM
Last time i was running my friend happened to mention that i breathe the wrong way when i run. Is there a right or wrong way to breathe while running?

Notorious
12-23-2007, 08:55 PM
As far as I know, in through the nose and out through the mouth. I don't think timing matters so much, but I could be wrong.

BrettC
12-23-2007, 11:08 PM
Timing matters to some people, but yeah in the nose out the mouth. Just practice that and adjust the timing if need be. I didn't find out until 8th grade there was an actual technique to breathing while running

Wheels Magee
01-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Well, I had always wondered this, until that is I went to a Track camp done by Jim Ryun (of the sub-4 HS Mile) and Jack Daniels (of VO2 Max fame, not the whiskey) and they taught me how to find my perfect breathing ratio. Here is how to find yours:

Start out at a pretty comfortable tempo pace, I did around 6:10's but any pace is fine. Then, for a 200 meter, breath at a 4:1 ratio, through the mouth for both, inhale for three strides, then out for one. Then take a two hundred where you breath as you normally would for another 200, then begin breathing at a 3:1 ratio. Do this for a 2.5:1, 2:1, 1.5:1, and 1:1 ratio until you find the one that you feel gives you the most oxygen with the least effort. You can do this or you could go to your local sports training pro and get a 1,000 dollar body comp test.

Most elite distance runners will train base edurance at around a 3-2.5 range, and will race at a 2:1, but will drop to 1.5:1 for the last 600 to 400 of their race. Feel free to ask any questions you have, and tell me how it goes, will ya?

SLiVeRMaN
02-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Mouthbreathers have the best times, your nose limits the volume.
and breathe til your lungs are FULL!

k_nine110
02-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Well, I had always wondered this, until that is I went to a Track camp done by Jim Ryun (of the sub-4 HS Mile) and Jack Daniels (of VO2 Max fame, not the whiskey) and they taught me how to find my perfect breathing ratio. Here is how to find yours:

Start out at a pretty comfortable tempo pace, I did around 6:10's but any pace is fine. Then, for a 200 meter, breath at a 4:1 ratio, through the mouth for both, inhale for three strides, then out for one. Then take a two hundred where you breath as you normally would for another 200, then begin breathing at a 3:1 ratio. Do this for a 2.5:1, 2:1, 1.5:1, and 1:1 ratio until you find the one that you feel gives you the most oxygen with the least effort. You can do this or you could go to your local sports training pro and get a 1,000 dollar body comp test.

Most elite distance runners will train base edurance at around a 3-2.5 range, and will race at a 2:1, but will drop to 1.5:1 for the last 600 to 400 of their race. Feel free to ask any questions you have, and tell me how it goes, will ya?

Thanks for that info, I will def pass it on. I have been running for 15 years (military) and just found a rhythm that I was comfortable with. This makes it easier so that I can make the necessary adjustments.

Ramstein85
04-15-2008, 01:16 PM
two breaths through the nose two exhalations through the mouth. works for me

manowar669
04-22-2008, 12:06 PM
If sidestitch is a problem for you, try starting your exhale when your left foot hits the ground. It has something to do with where the liver attaches to the underside of your diaphragm. It helped my girlfriend.
I exhale for 3 paces, and inhale for 3 paces. It's 2 and 2 uphill or if I'm really fatigued.

thewicked
04-22-2008, 07:06 PM
as fat as i am..i just try to be able to breath in general...but i'm told it's in the nose and out the mouth.

BigCorey75
04-23-2008, 01:41 AM
ahhhh, in and out???

just like at rest i suppose?

ryuage
04-23-2008, 11:46 AM
i was always taught in-nose out-mouth but always just been a mouth breather... especially since I can't really breathe in and out of my nose anyway.

Patz
04-24-2008, 08:15 AM
I'm usually on a 2 steps on the in, and 2 steps on the out pace. I breathe through my mouth. I tried through the nose, but I was never getting enough oxygen. I was also running outside, on a trail lined with lots of smelly foliage, and that might have had something to do with it. I gave up on the nose, though.

the.powerhouse
05-19-2008, 08:29 AM
how u supposed to fill your lungs up by breathing through ur nose, lol

BigDanny817
05-30-2008, 02:12 AM
I've heard from a couple sources that your supposed to breathe through your stomach...

razorcut
06-27-2008, 04:47 PM
I'm a mouth breather when running. No set ratio.....just breath when I need to.

One thing I've found that helps (sounds odd, but works): I load up my lips with mentholatum prior to a longer run and it *seems* to help ward off the cotton-mouth sensation.

Willie
07-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Of course, keep in mind if you're sprinting really hard (intervals as opposed to running distance), you're going to go into oxygen debt eventually (read: really, really soon) and it doesn't really matter how you breathe; you won't be able to take up enough oxygen to support the effort.

But, that's where the benefits are!
:thumbup: