PDA

View Full Version : wrestling workout

Dan152
12-25-2007, 09:03 AM
alright my coach makes us do a ****ty workout.(mandatory) he got it off a website. hes a great wrestling coach, but terrible weight lifting coach.
this is the workout.
2 sets of each lift 2x a week, but he doesnt tell us how many reps to do of each lift. if any1 could help i would appreciate it.
Squat
Arnold press
lateral raise
skullcrusher/french press
bench
calf raises
barbel rows
bicep curls

thanks.

1mmort4l
12-25-2007, 07:09 PM
Wow!
This guy is going to show you guys how to squat too?
What sort of website did he get that from?
Thats one of the worste i've seen..
Oh well, what can you do? He is your coach.

Dan152
12-25-2007, 09:10 PM
lol. i agree. but its neccesary for us to do.

Mike G
01-04-2008, 10:42 AM
alright my coach makes us do a ****ty workout.(mandatory) he got it off a website. hes a great wrestling coach, but terrible weight lifting coach.
this is the workout.
2 sets of each lift 2x a week, but he doesnt tell us how many reps to do of each lift. if any1 could help i would appreciate it.
Squat
Arnold press
lateral raise
skullcrusher/french press
bench
calf raises
barbel rows
bicep curls

thanks.

It's really not that bad of a workout, especially for in season. I'm guessing you're in high school, so I think it's great your coach even has you lifting during the season. If your practices are as hard as most wrestling practices, then you don't want to spend a lot of time in the gym and you probably won't have the energy for it. During the season, your goal should be to keep the strength you started the season with and any extra is just that. This is especially true for wrestling, where you don't typically have a lot of room to spare weight wise. I suggest keeping the reps low on the compounds, 3-5 and making sure they are heavy. I wouldn't go failure each time, but close enough that another rep would be very hard, if possible at all. On the isolation stuff, go a little lighter and keep things closer to eight reps.

I'm curious why you think this is such an awful workout? There might be some issues with exercise selection, but I had my football team follow a similar routine in season a few years ago and every kid that worked hard atleast maintained their strength and most got a little stronger.

McVein
01-04-2008, 11:26 AM
I dont know why there are so many isolation exercises included? I would assume a workout for wrestling would try to increase strength and GPP while keeping weight gain to a minimum, unless youre trying to mive up a class.
Tell your coach to have a look at Crossfit.com, a lot of professional and ammateur fighters either follow the routine or use a similar style of training.

Mike G
01-04-2008, 04:23 PM
I dont know why there are so many isolation exercises included? I would assume a workout for wrestling would try to increase strength and GPP while keeping weight gain to a minimum, unless youre trying to mive up a class.
Tell your coach to have a look at Crossfit.com, a lot of professional and ammateur fighters either follow the routine or use a similar style of training.

GPP is going to come from practicing each day, not from lifting. If this was off season, then I would agree with you, but right now they are in the season. Like I said, I don't like some of the exercises (iso work not really necessary), but this isn't some horrible workout that won't get results. Crossfit would be better and I do agree with that, but Crossfit on top of regular practice would be overkill for a lot of high school kids, even those that are in good shape.

Blackhawk08
01-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Also have him look at the BFS routine, its fairly common and it works for most people to make gains or keep what you have.

I personaly like it. Its Bigger, Faster, Stronger if you dont know.

McVein
01-04-2008, 09:17 PM
GPP is going to come from practicing each day, not from lifting. If this was off season, then I would agree with you, but right now they are in the season. Like I said, I don't like some of the exercises (iso work not really necessary), but this isn't some horrible workout that won't get results. Crossfit would be better and I do agree with that, but Crossfit on top of regular practice would be overkill for a lot of high school kids, even those that are in good shape.

Cool, youre right there, I dont know when off season and on seaon is given that I dont live in the US, i think that a few compound lifts like, Oh press, chinup, squat and deadlift would be much better resistance training for someone who needs their whole body to work as a unit, big biceps wont help your firemans carry.

Mike G
01-05-2008, 06:58 AM
Cool, youre right there, I dont know when off season and on seaon is given that I dont live in the US, i think that a few compound lifts like, Oh press, chinup, squat and deadlift would be much better resistance training for someone who needs their whole body to work as a unit, big biceps wont help your firemans carry.

I don't disagree with that one bit.

KingJustin
01-05-2008, 12:07 PM
I think Deadlifts are hands down the most important exercise for a wrestler. It's too bad he doesn't have you doing them.

I also think it would definitely be advantageous to do something more CrossFit style (i.e. heavy lifts on a few major exercises, and otherwise high intensity lifting), but the conditioning is going to come through with the practices I guess--it just won't be to quite the same degree.

And some kind of plyometrics for in-season would be nice, too. Maybe you do some of those in practice, but I doubt he has you set it up correctly.

shootermcgavin7
01-06-2008, 07:35 AM
I would replace rows with deadlifts....but other than that, (as others have mentioned) it isn't a horrible in-season workout.

The time to get bigger is from March-October.

Blackhawk08
01-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Id do powercleans too.

cpc5304
01-06-2008, 08:23 PM
I'm sorry, but any wrestling workout that doesn't involve a good amount of forearm workouts is pretty close to unacceptable. The workouts that I reccomend for the kids that I coach, especially in season, involve a good amount of (I can't think of the name right now, mental block) jumping up onto a box, and forearms. The former are a good one to have a team do because all you really need is a sturdy surface of appropriate height, and it helps develop some explosion in your legs- good for takedowns.

I have never in my life seen a wrestling workout that was completely devoid of forearm work.

shootermcgavin7
01-06-2008, 09:34 PM
I'm sorry, but any wrestling workout that doesn't involve a good amount of forearm workouts is pretty close to unacceptable

Is this a joke?

McVein
01-06-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm sorry, but any wrestling workout that doesn't involve a good amount of forearm workouts is pretty close to unacceptable. The workouts that I reccomend for the kids that I coach, especially in season, involve a good amount of (I can't think of the name right now, mental block) jumping up onto a box, and forearms. The former are a good one to have a team do because all you really need is a sturdy surface of appropriate height, and it helps develop some explosion in your legs- good for takedowns.

I have never in my life seen a wrestling workout that was completely devoid of forearm work.

Thats why I would destroy any of the wrestlers you train.

Mike G
01-07-2008, 10:14 AM

Box Jumps? The workout isn't devoid of forearm work, they are worked indirectly. They should also be worked very hard during your practice. I'm interested what you have your kids do for a workout that is so good. Please post it up.

cpc5304
01-07-2008, 04:41 PM
I coach junior high kids, so one thing we have to do is avoid heavy weight training in order to keep the parents happy. As a result, we do a lot of gorilla hangs and things of that nature. Box jumps develop good boost, good for developing an explosive shot without subjecting middle schoolers to squats, which draws a lot of flack from the parents, who are "hands on" in the comminuty in which I coach.

We do a lot to develop forearms because at the junior high level, a good grip can sometimes make up for inferior riding skills.

McVein
01-07-2008, 06:18 PM
so youre argument only stands in regards to junior high kids, I dont know how old that is but i'd have a stab in the dark that the OP is older than that.

Mike G
01-08-2008, 06:37 AM
We do a lot to develop forearms because at the junior high level, a good grip can sometimes make up for inferior riding skills.

So what's your routine? I understand you go a lot of forearm work, what exactly besides hangs? Also, it must suck coaching with parents who are that hands on. The parents where I coach are vocal, but they allow us to train the kids (football) and teach the kids how to lift, even at the junior high level.

Dan152
01-13-2008, 04:18 PM
thanks guys. my coach ended up having us do a different workout 2x a week be sure to check out my journal. thanks. BTW for forearm should i carry a hand gripper with me and squeeze them often?

Dan152
01-13-2008, 04:20 PM
the link is in my sig