PDA

View Full Version : Post-workout question - is skim milk OK?

espn2829
12-25-2007, 12:35 PM
I have ordered some whey protein and was wondering if skim milk is ok to mix it in with after the workout. According to articles, avoiding fat is necessary for a better post-workout nutritional effect and skim milk does not have any fat.

I could always mix the whey with Gatorade or water but since the whey is vanilla flavored (ON Vanilla Ice Cream) it would not taste so good - or so I believe.

Also, is eating pasta after drinking the whey a good thing? Since eating carbohydrates after working out is beneficial, pasta seems like a good choice but I am worried it may have too much fat in it.

How about eating 2 baked potatoes after the workout? Since they contain no fat they may be a better alternative to pasta. Any other suggestions please?

Thank you.

BFGUITAR
12-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Skim milk is fine, ive done it before. Really, a preworkout shake is more important. Just make sure you eat SOMETHING after your workout, despite its composition.

MMEI
12-25-2007, 02:23 PM
Why don't you drink the whey and gatorade separately? Ideally.. you would have a quick absorbing sugar with a quick absorbing protein. Like dextrose and whey. Your setup is pretty good, though the lactose sugar may not be as ideal as glucose of dex.

samadhi_smiles
12-26-2007, 07:43 AM
ideally about 40g protein with about 40-60g of simple carbs (like maltodextrin, dextrose, maybe some fructose).

The ideal PWO shake is some orange or pineapple juice with 40g of whey protein and 30g of dextrose added. Sip it over the course of a half hour or so, then about 1 hour later eat a solid meal with carbs and protein.