PDA

View Full Version : Floor press check

berfles
01-03-2008, 03:36 PM
First time doing floor press on Monday, just making sure they're alright or if I should let the weight rest when my arms touch the floor a bit longer. The last two reps blew ass. I had no idea how much weight to start off with, so I did something weird but ended up settling on 195 and figured I'd do a 5x5 with them for a few weeks. I think this was my last set because I did something like:

205x5
200x5
195x5
195x5
195x5

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/th_DSCN6987.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/?action=view&current=DSCN6987.flv)

So judging by that I would think I could hit 195x5 for all 5 sets, but I'm not sure.

berfles
01-06-2008, 06:08 PM
just making sure they're alright or if I should let the weight rest when my arms touch the floor a bit longer.

Anyone have any comments on this? Other than the last two reps how did they look?

Killa Kurt
01-06-2008, 06:32 PM
I just made sure that the weight was at a complete stop when my arms hit the floor. You thinking about powerlifting, I'm just wondering why you're doing floor presses. Your grip looks tight, not that that's a problem I'm a better presser with a tighter grip also.

berfles
01-06-2008, 06:49 PM
I just made sure that the weight was at a complete stop when my arms hit the floor. You thinking about powerlifting, I'm just wondering why you're doing floor presses. Your grip looks tight, not that that's a problem I'm a better presser with a tighter grip also.

I'm just trying to get my bench numbers up and strengthen my triceps more because I always bench strong off the chest, but then I slow down big time around where floor presses start out at.

I also tried not flaring my elbows as much as I do with flat bench because some people told me I stuck them out too far.

Killa Kurt
01-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Yeah you don't want to flare your elbows, keep them tucked in. Work your shoulders, lats, and triceps heavy and your bench will go up, you should save floor presses for a little while IMO.

Con
01-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Yeah you don't want to flare your elbows, keep them tucked in. Work your shoulders, lats, and triceps heavy and your bench will go up, you should save floor presses for a little while IMO.

I think Kurt may be right with this. Not sure why you would really need floor presses, rather than benching...a lot.

Only advantage I could see would be not having to worry about failure.

leak
01-06-2008, 08:04 PM
nice

berfles
01-06-2008, 08:13 PM
I was talking about trying to get rid of my sticking point here, and since I don't have boards right now I was thinking of doing pin presses, but someone here told me I should just do floor presses instead for a couple weeks. It's nothing permanent, just to see if I can help the sticking point a little.

Killa Kurt
01-07-2008, 03:35 PM
I was talking about trying to get rid of my sticking point here, and since I don't have boards right now I was thinking of doing pin presses, but someone here told me I should just do floor presses instead for a couple weeks. It's nothing permanent, just to see if I can help the sticking point a little.

I'mt not sure how experienced you are, but if you aren't too experienced I think you should continue benching and I think you'll work through your sticking point with regular bench pressing. Along with heavy lat/shoulder/tri work. I'd say those are most important.

Mike G
01-07-2008, 04:00 PM
I'mt not sure how experienced you are, but if you aren't too experienced I think you should continue benching and I think you'll work through your sticking point with regular bench pressing. Along with heavy lat/shoulder/tri work. I'd say those are most important.

I agree with this, but I don't think floor presses as an accessory will hurt anything. I don't think floor presses should replace your regular bench work though, maybe that wasn't clear in the other thread.

Form looks good, I like to let the weight sit a touch longer, but that's not a big deal, especially if you aren't powerlifting.

berfles
01-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Oh. Detard recommended I replace flat bench for a couple weeks, so I did that last week. Maybe I'll just do a few sets of floor presses at the end of my workout instead of replacing flat bench altogether.

Or maybe I should research about the use of bands or something. I feel as if I already do a lot of triceps work and the sticking point is still there. I do weighed dips, lying extensions, the usual benching and maybe another exercise but it's slipping my mind right now.

Killa Kurt
01-07-2008, 04:18 PM
What do you do for shoulders? That's not a lot of tricep work.

Mike G
01-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Oh. Detard recommended I replace flat bench for a couple weeks, so I did that last week. Maybe I'll just do a few sets of floor presses at the end of my workout instead of replacing flat bench altogether.

Or maybe I should research about the use of bands or something. I feel as if I already do a lot of triceps work and the sticking point is still there. I do weighed dips, lying extensions, the usual benching and maybe another exercise but it's slipping my mind right now.

Tape a failed bench. You might think it's your tri's that are holding your bench back and that might not be the case. With a taped failure, you will be able to see exactly where you fail and what might be holding you back.

You might just have a weak bench still, even if the weight comes off your chest some. I read an article by Tate along those lines and I think it applies to a lot of people newer to lifting. You don't necessarily have a weak point, rather a weak lift. You can add floor presses to the end of your workout if you like and they might help.

berfles
01-07-2008, 04:45 PM
What do you do for shoulders? That's not a lot of tricep work.

For shoulders I usually do OH presses, front and side lateral raises and Arnolds.

Tape a failed bench. You might think it's your tri's that are holding your bench back and that might not be the case. With a taped failure, you will be able to see exactly where you fail and what might be holding you back.

You might just have a weak bench still, even if the weight comes off your chest some. I read an article by Tate along those lines and I think it applies to a lot of people newer to lifting. You don't necessarily have a weak point, rather a weak lift. You can add floor presses to the end of your workout if you like and they might help.

I actually did tape a failed attempt, I stopped about halfway up I think. I'll have to dig it up and check it out.

EDIT: I don't have time to upload the clip right now, but here is a picture of the video where I stall out, just before I put the weigh on the spotters.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/DSCN7013.jpg

Mike G
01-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Seeing that, I would add some floor presses. Keeping your elbows tucked might help, but I never seem to keep mine close, so I don't have a lot of experience with that. Still though, I think if you keep benching heavy, things will work themselves out soon enough and you'll see a nice jump in weight.

berfles
01-08-2008, 09:37 AM
I tried adding a couple sets in last night but I was too tanked to do much because I had too much weight on. By the time I figured out the right amount I was WAY too tanked.

I also did all 5 sets of benching with my elbows less flared, and I think that's why I was so tired. I got the least amount of reps of all time, probably because I'm so used to having my elbows out so far. I'm sure once I get used to having them closer it'll be better.

I'm been doing the 5x5 for about 10 weeks now (before that I just did other routines), and I've put 15lbs on the weight I use to rep. I still always get slow around halfway though, but I'll keep experimenting to see what feels best.

Killa Kurt
01-08-2008, 06:11 PM
If you want to become a presser, my personal suggestion would be to cut out the front and side laterals and do some more pressing.

berfles
01-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Pressing for shoulders or just pressing in general? I'm not sure what other presses I can do for shoulders other than dumbbell variations but that might be redundant.