PDA

View Full Version : Frustration sinks in with bench...

BFGUITAR
01-04-2008, 01:30 AM
Well I was going to go for a PR today but for some reason 205 felt light a tonne of bricks... I couldnt do it. Back at school I did 215 easy and almost did 225.

My bench just seems to be getting worse and worse every week. What do you guys suggest? A technique change? Wider grip (my grip currently is pretty close)?

I seem to fail off the chest. Once its up im good.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
01-04-2008, 06:12 AM
Well I was going to go for a PR today but for some reason 205 felt light a tonne of bricks... I couldnt do it. Back at school I did 215 easy and almost did 225.

My bench just seems to be getting worse and worse every week. What do you guys suggest? A technique change? Wider grip (my grip currently is pretty close)?

I seem to fail off the chest. Once its up im good.

What does your bp routine look like?

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL

GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

Mike G
01-04-2008, 08:20 AM
Deeder gave you some sound info in your gen chat thread. Did you notice this problem before coming home, or has it only been during your break? It sounds like it's just been a few weeks since you came home, so I would say it has to do with the equipment you are using. However, do like JT said, and post your routine, so we can give better advice.

bigmoney
01-04-2008, 08:31 AM
are you doing speed work? One thing to keep in mind that helped me is that the faster you take the bar down, the faster it comes up. So make sure youre taking it down at good speed even if a max lift.

smokinHawk
01-04-2008, 08:45 AM
1. sleep more.
2. do some paused benching in the 3, 2 and 1 range (i like to do them after my working sets)
3. also you could try feet in the air for a few work outs to make sure your using all chest for strengthening it, then switch back latter.

those should help attack your weak points.

BFGUITAR
01-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Im doing a westside style routine (I say style because I dont have bands/chains).

On DE upper day I do 50-60% of my one rep max, 3 reps, 8 sets. This is followed by some tricep work and back work.

On ME day I work up to a one rep max.
Barx15
95x 8
135x5
155x3
185x1
Max

Mike G
01-04-2008, 10:28 AM
What ME exercises are you doing? How often do you switch them up?

BFGUITAR
01-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Its only been a few months, Ive just being doing bench. How often should one switch it up?

deeder
01-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Its only been a few months, Ive just being doing bench. How often should one switch it up?

My understanding is that you should be switching ME exercises at least every 3 weeks.

BFGUITAR
01-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Hmm I will switch it up than.
I just felt I needed some serious time learning how to bench heavy weight (relatively) with proper technique.

Mike G
01-04-2008, 04:12 PM
I'm not going to rip you, but have you done any reading about Westside? This is a basic principle. You should switch your ME every three weeks, if not sooner. A lot of people go every week, but I think you would be good every three for now. Go to elitefts for some suggestions on ME work. This should solve your problem fairly quickly and really help you to start seeing some gains.

BFGUITAR
01-05-2008, 12:42 AM
I have but I didnt feel I was ready to be switching so often with such crappy technique. My gains have been ridiculously good until recently.

RedSpikeyThing
01-05-2008, 09:32 AM
I have but I didnt feel I was ready to be switching so often with such crappy technique. My gains have been ridiculously good until recently.

Work on your technique on DE day. I wouldn't have stopped if I was gaining either....but now that you have stopped, it's time to switch it up.

chris mason
01-05-2008, 11:05 AM
I would also suggest that you reduce the sets to 3-4 on your DE day. I think the Westside volume is a bit much for a lot of trainees. The priciples are superior, but a touch less volume for most.

Chris

vdizenzo
01-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Learn technique and make sure to train your lats a lot. Most younger benchers I find are very weak in the lat department. Lats have a lot to do with the bench.

Sensei
01-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Get some rest. Change it up. Work on your technique. Everyone's given you pretty good advice.

I think this might be relevant: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2007/12/learned-helplessness.html

BFGUITAR
01-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Learn technique and make sure to train your lats a lot. Most younger benchers I find are very weak in the lat department. Lats have a lot to do with the bench.

My back is the only thing going for me really. If anything learning to use my back is what gave me such great gains.

And sensei thanks for the input, I can always trust you.

krboyd7
01-06-2008, 02:22 PM
I found that using a wider grip, and also alternating my workouts with D.Bells helped my bench.

PriestCometh
01-08-2008, 12:50 PM
speed speed speed!

Also, I alternate me exercises every 2 weeks.

fpr
01-08-2008, 01:13 PM
I'm doing 5 sets of 10 reps @ 185lbs, this seems to be increasing my bench numbers. Maybe something similar will work for you.

Guido
01-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Deeder gave you some sound info in your gen chat thread. Did you notice this problem before coming home, or has it only been during your break? It sounds like it's just been a few weeks since you came home, so I would say it has to do with the equipment you are using. However, do like JT said, and post your routine, so we can give better advice.Quite possible. My bench max is about 25lbs less on the crappy narrower bench I have to use when my normal gym is closed. The equipment can make a huge difference if you're not used to it.

RedSpikeyThing
01-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Quite possible. My bench max is about 25lbs less on the crappy narrower bench I have to use when my normal gym is closed. The equipment can make a huge difference if you're not used to it.

Especially if you're using a bar with the rings in a different location. You could be lifting with a wider/narrower grip and not knowing.

North
01-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Quite possible. My bench max is about 25lbs less on the crappy narrower bench I have to use when my normal gym is closed. The equipment can make a huge difference if you're not used to it.

Hmmm. I should probably get a new bench. Mine is about as ****ty as they come. It's one of those "body by jake" ones. And before the comments, I didn't buy it, it was given to me! I swear!:outnumber:

Invain
01-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Are you using any leg drive?

I've hit plenty of nasty plateau's. Switch things up, take a week off if needed, but whatever you do, don't get discouraged. You'll break through this and numbers will start flyin again BF. Eat, eat, eat, and get plenty of rest.

whiteman90909
01-08-2008, 08:45 PM
My understanding is that you should be switching ME exercises at least every 3 weeks.

I don't know if I change too much, but I switch them every week. Bench, decline bench, bands, lockouts... use your imagination.