PDA

View Full Version : Why always either "Cutting" or "Bulking"

EasyGino
03-13-2002, 01:46 PM
How come it seems every one here is either doing one or the other. Most people aren't able to upkeep either diets and remain healthy. I for one have started working out religiously, and maintain a balanced diet. And well, it seems i've found what works for me.

Isn't it true having seasonal diets, that are so extreme from one another, is hazardous to ones health? I say to everyone that isn't a veteran builder, find the medium in your life that will let you grow and lose unwanted fat, because it exsists, it may take longer then either of the other two diets, but you'll end up at ur ideal level adventually and probably be able to maintain it easier. And the medium, which you once called a diet, will become a lifestyle that you will find easily maintanable.

Im not sure why I wrote this, but I hope it will enlighten at least one person.

ElPietro
03-13-2002, 01:49 PM
The diet is still balanced...the calories are generally what changes. Both can be healthy...but you should have a goal...either you want to add muscle, or reduce fat...sure you could just maintain but then your progress would suffer.

David
03-13-2002, 03:17 PM
Dude, what do you mean? why always cutting or bulking?? why not???

Either people want to get big strong muscles.....or they want to be shredded for a competition or the summer! geez! its not that hard! :rolleyes:

and also, bulking does not mean getting fat....it means being about 10pounds over your competing bodyweight.....unless you are lee priest.....that little f*cker ballons up to like 300 POUNDS in the offseason!!! You guys know what I am talking about.

MRJ
03-13-2002, 03:27 PM
Greetings:

I think what Mr. Gino is stating is . . .

There could also be one additional phase that has been left out . . . that being MAINTAINING.

Once a person has reached a point where they are satisfied with their results or has no desire to do another bulking/cutting phase they may coast for awhile or forever.

I know many persons at the gym who are doing just that.

They come-in, do a basic work-out and maintain a healthy eating patern. Their only goal is to maintain their existing physical condition.

Personally I see nothing wrong with this methodology.

Jane
03-13-2002, 03:51 PM
It all depends on your goals. Personally I feel that I am going to want to cut and bulk for a while until I reach certain goals for my appearance. But my diet and exercise is by no means extreme, and I don't go into either phase expecting it to last a short time.

Shocker
03-13-2002, 05:11 PM
its because we wanna be big - duh

EasyGino
03-13-2002, 05:22 PM
Yeah everyone wants to get big... But i dont see a bulking diet working for everyone... I dunno, i guess i play on the "everyones different" moto.

MWB
03-13-2002, 06:07 PM
There are 3 things really, bulking, maintaining, and cutting.

Any amount of calories over your matenence level I would consider buliking. There are different degrees of bulking but any extra calories will put siome sort of size on you.

Matenece calories would cause little to no body change. Some beginners can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, but that ends pretty quickly, at least in my experience.

Any less than matenence would be cutting. You are doing one of those three whether you realize it or not.

BCC
03-13-2002, 07:10 PM
I'm with EasyGino on all of this...all this bulking cutting **** annoys me.

Orange357
03-13-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by TripleP
Dude, what do you mean? why always cutting or bulking?? why not???

Either people want to get big strong muscles.....or they want to be shredded for a competition or the summer! geez! its not that hard! :rolleyes:

and also, bulking does not mean getting fat....it means being about 10pounds over your competing bodyweight.....unless you are lee priest.....that little f*cker ballons up to like 300 POUNDS in the offseason!!! You guys know what I am talking about.

stop bolding your text to look smart!

ElPietro
03-13-2002, 07:31 PM
Well ppl talk about bulking and cutting here because wtf is there to say about maintaining?

If you are happy then you don't need any new information. You don't need to set goals for yourself because you are no longer interested in progressing...so naturally we talk about bulking and cutting.

IceRgrrl
03-13-2002, 07:37 PM
Good point, ElPietro...

Maybe it's just the words that are bugging some people...maybe if we talked about lowering body fat and building new muscle mass it would sound better... :D

A rose by any other name...

Sebi
03-13-2002, 08:07 PM
EasyGino-
I really don't know much about bulking and cutting. I've never calculated the calories I take every day. Even thogh many will laugh at me, I've found, that one can get bigger without adding bf%. I try to eat clean, and feed my body before I get hungry. That's all.

Budiak
03-13-2002, 09:48 PM
I bulk until I get too fat to look at myself, then I cut, then maintain for like a month or so, then do it all again.

I wish I could be like Sebi and be able to get bigger cleanly...but its just not the case.

rookiebldr
03-13-2002, 11:28 PM
Unfortunately, I haven't found the correct formula to gain muscle at the same time as losing fat. Until I find it, I'm doomed to cut and bulk. I'll keep looking on this site to find the answers.

Well, now it's time to cut. My BF% is too high.

Reinier
03-14-2002, 07:25 AM
if your gona progress you got to either lose bf or gain mass.
cant do both at once so you pick one.
no matter in what way your doing it your either bulking or cutting.
stfu.

gino
03-14-2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Sebi
Even thogh many will laugh at me, I've found, that one can get bigger without adding bf%.

Why would anyone laugh? That's what I'm doing right now.

Reindeer - stfumf

Reinier
03-14-2002, 11:25 AM
at no time did i say thats not possible.
so you stfu

millertime
03-14-2002, 11:31 AM
After this summer I don't plan to bulk any more. I want to stay at about 10% bf year round and just build up muscle slowly.

EasyGino
03-14-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Reinier
so you stfu

You said either way your cutting or bulking... so it sounds like u can't put on mass while cutting away the fat....

Im with Gino ironically, im building while cutting, its a slower process but it can be done

CBates
03-14-2002, 01:08 PM
I'm also doing the same as EasyGino and Gino, I'm slowly adding strength and muscle size and decreasing body fat. Not hard to do, just a slower process.

EasyGino
03-14-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by CBates
I'm also doing the same as EasyGino and Gino, I'm slowly adding strength and muscle size and decreasing body fat. Not hard to do, just a slower process.

yeah so many people are following the same path, but this doesn't fall under bulking, cutting or maintaining does it? so what is it?

Sebi
03-14-2002, 04:25 PM
Let's call it clean progress. ;)

gino
03-15-2002, 06:46 AM
if your gona progress you got to either lose bf or gain mass.
cant do both at once so you pick one.
no matter in what way your doing it your either bulking or cutting.
stfu.

so you stfu

No, you stfu

mf

YatesNightBlade
03-15-2002, 07:23 AM
heh

Accipiter
03-15-2002, 01:05 PM
I'm not bulking nor cutting, I just control what I eat, and make a steady, slow weight gain almost entirely muscle

Complete Muscle
03-17-2002, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by EasyGino
How come it seems every one here is either doing one or the other... Hormones respond to overfeeding... simple. And you ARE bulking if you're gaining weight, albeit moderately bulking. You may not be gaining much bodyfat but you are gaining some, I assure you. You have found a good balance after years of experience. For this I commend you.