PDA

View Full Version : The most humbling lift... the OH squat

BFGUITAR
01-07-2008, 03:31 PM
I tried doing them recently after my workout (I always do these things for fun and to keep my motivated). And man, as I'm descending with just the bar above my head I can feel my whole body just crumbling under the weight. I end up falling forward and unable to hold the bar over my head when so low. If you havent tried them, try it. Sure you can easily squat 300+ pounds but this is a whole different ball game.

Im just wondering what you guys do to practice this. Perhaps a wider grip to help keeping it above me?

Im very new to this type of squat so any help would be appreciated.

ryuage
01-07-2008, 03:39 PM
due to my shoulders inability to be flexible I practice with the bar only ... haha

RedSpikeyThing
01-07-2008, 03:55 PM
I've only done them a few times, but I prefer a snatch grip. They are very hard.

SDS
01-07-2008, 04:00 PM
I've recently started doing a single OH DB squat. I hold a 20lb DB over my head, and a 40lb DB to the side, and squat. 2 sets left hand up, 2 sets right hand up. 10 reps per set hits the core pretty good.

tomv
01-08-2008, 03:51 AM
The best warmup exercise by far IMO and yes very humbling. Because I trained as an OLY lifter for a little while my OH Squat grip is quite wide though I can't think of where on the bar I put them... I just know when I'm there lol. A Snatch grip basically.

Fuzzy
01-08-2008, 04:38 AM
Im collar to collar when i snatch, good ol' long arms (not really jerking is a bitch)

Though try clean grip overhead squats.... yikes!

Or even better, a psyco full snatch, basicaly a full snatch with a clean grip.

Max Thunder
01-08-2008, 07:24 AM
I used to do them and worked my way up to 185 for 10 reps, but then I hurt my left shoulder, not in a way than impaired any other exercise but it hurt to flex the arm too far.

I can't squat like olympic lifters; I always sit back rather than shooting the knees forward (which is also what the ignorants always do). When you sit back, you're less upright, thus to keep the bar in place, it requires a lot more shoulder flexibility.

It feels so good keeping your whole body 100% tight the whole time. You have to be totally concentrated, if you lose some tension during a split second, then the weight often comes forward... Wide grip, chalk, hook grip, and flex your triceps as much as you can not by pushing up but by trying to pull the bar apart.

Fuzzy
01-08-2008, 07:35 AM
^^

I also found flexing the lats HARD helped alot.

JHarris
01-08-2008, 08:02 AM
You know what's even more humbling? Behind the neck military presses in a full squat position. I know 115 lb girls who do twice as much as I can do. Give those a shot.

MPB
01-08-2008, 08:14 AM
You know what's even more humbling? Behind the neck military presses in a full squat position. I know 115 lb girls who do twice as much as I can do. Give those a shot.

I've seen Sensei doing those with kettlebells, it looked tough.

Guido
01-08-2008, 11:00 AM
You know what's even more humbling? Behind the neck military presses in a full squat position. I know 115 lb girls who do twice as much as I can do. Give those a shot.I believe you'd be referring to Sots Presses, and yes, they are very tough. Tougher than standard OH squats. For some reason I've only seen them adovocated by kettlebell trainers but they can be done with a barbell or DB's as well.

http://www.powerathletesmag.com/archives/one/sotspress.htm

vdizenzo
01-08-2008, 11:40 AM
I did them ONCE with 135 for 5 sets of 10. Yeah, I will never do those again.

Guido
01-08-2008, 01:59 PM
I did them ONCE with 135 for 5 sets of 10. Yeah, I will never do those again.Why not? Too hard? :hello:

Sensei
01-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Why not? Too hard? :hello:That's pretty much why no one does them... I only do them when I'm trying to show off (and that's about the only thing I can brag about these days...)

vdizenzo
01-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Why not? Too hard? :hello:

Honestly, they are very difficult. However, I find them somewhat dangerous. I have other ways of conditioning. If I am going to hurt myself nowadays, I am trying to keep it on the bench.