PDA

View Full Version : Cannabis in Canadian and American culture

BFGUITAR
01-08-2008, 12:22 AM
As a Canadian, I have grown up with just about 80-90% of my friends who have at least tried pot once. I know a bunch of people who also deal. They are just normal everyday people who go to school and enjoy a toke.

I have some American friends in Florida who tell me that during a deal the dealer is usually packing some sort of weapon. Seems kind of nuts for small time dealers to be packing. I dont know if this is true, which is why im asking people. What exactly is pot like in the US?

People here get caught with a joint extremely often and usually dont get in any trouble... or maybe a fine. A pot head friend of mine says that you generally wouldnt get jail time under an ounce. It really depends on the cop and the situation.

And does all US weed look like oregano?

tomv
01-08-2008, 03:55 AM
In Australia it's fairly widespread if you know where to look and as far as pot goes I've never heard of a dealer carrying a weapon.

jdeity
01-08-2008, 09:07 AM
handguns are far more prevalent here than in canada, so there's a higher likelihood a dealer will have a weapon. Not that canada doesn't want more weapons, typically guns and harder drugs go up, pot and ecstasy come down (us/ca border).

Dealers that carry guns for small things are the kind of people who would carry a gun w/o dealing, to be cool. It's not a very common thing I've ever seen and my situations here in the US during hs/uni were similar to what you mentioned.

And we have the whole gamut of bud, from the crappiest stuff to the best. Good bud is readily available everywhere and, since probably 15, was the 'norm' - can't say a ton of people smoke bad (oregano-esque) pot that I've ever met.

deeder
01-08-2008, 10:57 AM
As a Canadian, I have grown up with just about 80-90% of my friends who have at least tried pot once. I know a bunch of people who also deal. They are just normal everyday people who go to school and enjoy a toke.

I have some American friends in Florida who tell me that during a deal the dealer is usually packing some sort of weapon. Seems kind of nuts for small time dealers to be packing. I dont know if this is true, which is why im asking people. What exactly is pot like in the US?

People here get caught with a joint extremely often and usually dont get in any trouble... or maybe a fine. A pot head friend of mine says that you generally wouldnt get jail time under an ounce. It really depends on the cop and the situation.

And does all US weed look like oregano?

I'm pretty sure anything under a half ounce is just a ticket now (and confiscation obviously).

I've had a cop walk up to my car while we were hot boxing it and we had to roll down the window for him... All the smoke blew right in his face and he just told us we shouldn't park there and let us go...

There's a head shop in town that has a sign that says "show your badge and get a 20% discount" and apparently they get cops in there about once a week taking them up on it...

It's pretty damn relaxed where I live when it comes to weed... You won't get busted unless you're carrying a bunch or are acting like an ******* to the cops.

method115
01-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Yea in Texas they just recently changed the law so its not as harsh you can still go to jail though its simply the cops choice under an ounce.

The only dealers I've known to carry guns are the ones selling more then marijuana.

arnoldsclone
01-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Yea in Texas they just recently changed the law so its not as harsh you can still go to jail though its simply the cops choice under an ounce.

The only dealers I've known to carry guns are the ones selling more then marijuana.

i agree, i've never had a piece flaunted towards me when dealing with pot.....................i used to pack heat though...

jdeity
01-08-2008, 12:09 PM

Marijuana ticket law only catching on in Austin area (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/123107dnmetmarijuana.28cfa42.html)

Detard
01-08-2008, 02:22 PM
In my area just about everyone smokes weed. Usually the younger kids are the ones getting busted. Surprisingly, in comparison of drinking tickets/drug tickets, drinking tickets out weigh the drug tickets.

Alot of people around here carry a knife at the least. Most dealers have guns.