PDA

View Full Version : Flax seed oil, or other EFA's



jell999
03-13-2002, 05:19 PM
What are your opinions on taking flax seed oil as a supplement?

Either during bulking, or cutting.

Tryska
03-13-2002, 05:45 PM
it gets a :thumbup: from me, man.

jell999
03-13-2002, 07:22 PM
Do you think there would be a best time of the day to take it, or would in my shake at night be fine?

ElPietro
03-13-2002, 07:26 PM
I was speaking to my physiotherapist and he was telling me about Udo Oil. Actually he was supposed to bring me a bottle today but forgot.

Basically, correct me if i'm wrong trysk, Flax oil is mainly omega 3s, but Udo is a mixture of flaxseed oil, sesame oil, rape seed i think, and mebbe a couple others, which give it a ratio of 2/2/1 of omega 3/6/9 which is more beneficial.

He was saying flax is good because most ppl aren't getting sufficient omega 3s but once you start using flax regularly it would be more beneficial to make sure you are covering all your EFAs which is where Udo comes in.

Just thought I'd add that in there...and yes at night is good, but it may slow the digestion of your shake down...

=w=
03-13-2002, 10:04 PM
It is true that you need all the EFA's (meaning 3/6/9) but the majority of people get sufficient 6/9 in their diet already and therefore only need to supliment w/ 3's.

hemants
03-14-2002, 06:55 AM
I put 2 -3 teaspoons in my whey/milk mixture before bed.

Addionally, I alternate it with a tbsp of peanut butter in the mornings in my morning shake. Some people like the taste enough to put on salads but I prefer Olive oil for that :)

P.S. I agree with =w=. If you are consuming other vegetable oils and nuts, you'll get enough Omega 6.

If the ONLY fat you are consuming is through oil supplementation then Udos oil or Hemp oil would be ideal as they the required ratio of Omega 3 and Omega 6.

jell999
03-18-2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by hemants
I put 2 -3 teaspoons in my whey/milk mixture before bed.


I was under the impression that 1 teaspoon/day is lots...
Is there a reason you are taking this much more?


Also, thanks for the extra info on Udo oil, LP.

=w=
03-18-2002, 05:44 PM
The general rcomendations for flax are 1 TBLS (not tsp) / 100lbs of body weight, though I have also seen it as 1tbls./75 lbs of bodyweight.

Blood&Iron
03-18-2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by =w=
It is true that you need all the EFA's (meaning 3/6/9) but the majority of people get sufficient 6/9 in their diet already and therefore only need to supliment w/ 3's.
Exactly. For this reason I think fish oil is, in general, a much better idea than flax.

=w=
03-18-2002, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron

Exactly. For this reason I think fish oil is, in general, a much better idea than flax.

B&I:

I have found cod liver oil to be the most economical form of fish oils but worry about vitamin A and D toxicity. Do you think I would run into a problem with 2 tsp a day? Each tsp contains 92% of the DV for Vit A and 115% of the DV for D. Also each tsp contains 5g fat and ~500mg of EPA and ~500mg DHA, do you think the 2 tsp would be sufficient for my n-3 intake? I am using a higher protein/carb and am limiting fats (to these 2 tsp of CLO, a couple tbls of NPB, and any incedental fat which may come from oats, or 96% lean ground beef) on my current diet since I have just begun a cycle of ONE this morning.

Blood&Iron
03-18-2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by =w=


B&I:

I have found cod liver oil to be the most economical form of fish oils but worry about vitamin A and D toxicity. Do you think I would run into a problem with 2 tsp a day? Each tsp contains 92% of the DV for Vit A and 115% of the DV for D. Also each tsp contains 5g fat and ~500mg of EPA and ~500mg DHA, do you think the 2 tsp would be sufficient for my n-3 intake? I am using a higher protein/carb and am limiting fats (to these 2 tsp of CLO, a couple tbls of NPB, and any incedental fat which may come from oats, or 96% lean ground beef) on my current diet since I have just begun a cycle of ONE this morning.
The RDA for vitamin A is 5,000IU. I've seen one abstract that said it becomes toxic at 25,000IU if taken for a prolonged period of time(I've also seen a figure of 50,000IU given for toxicity--although this seems like pushing it to me.)
The RDA for vitamin D is 400IU. But I belive it becomes toxic at about 20,000IU. So you're cool on both fronts unless you're taking a multi with large amounts of either or you get a lot in your diet. The DHA and EPA are basically sufficient(Maybe a little on the low side, though, depending on your weight) My only concern with cod liver oil would be high levels of methyl-mercury and possibly PCBs. That's why I tend to stick to molecularly distilled fish oil caps.

BTW, I'll be interested to hear about your experience with One.

=w=
03-18-2002, 09:06 PM
Thanks - Ill keep you posted - and I hope you will do the same (i noticed you were gonna make the jump from reading your journal).

the doc
03-18-2002, 09:28 PM
check out my thread on flax oil and efas
i'll bump it up