PDA

View Full Version : Question about the C and J

BFGUITAR
01-09-2008, 05:55 PM
I was wondering what the benefit of going into a snatch type position over the conventional jerk where one leg goes forwards and the other backwards is. Ive seen it done in some videos and wanted to know the benefit of it. It seems that most of the heaviest lifter don't do this anymore... but than again I havent watched too many videos.

JHarris
01-10-2008, 07:47 AM
I was wondering what the benefit of going into a snatch type position over the conventional jerk where one leg goes forwards and the other backwards is. Ive seen it done in some videos and wanted to know the benefit of it. It seems that most of the heaviest lifter don't do this anymore... but than again I havent watched too many videos.

What you are talking about is a squat jerk. China is making these really popular these days, but the issue is that you have to be spot on with bar placement to hit these.. if it is at all forward or backward, you will likely miss the jerk. You can get deeper in a squat than a split, though. The squat jerk also requires more flexibility.

The upside to splitting is that you have a better chance at saving a slightly bad lift. People tend to be a bit tired from the clean, so you are more likely to have a bad jerk.

Fuzzy
01-12-2008, 07:21 AM
Well, two variations on it, the squat jerk and the power jerk.

The power jerk is caught in a higher position, some lifters use it exclusively.

Much easer for teaching snappy lockouts then the split jerk, once people can locklout they can worry about split jerk foot positioning.

Squat jerks are just that, pushdrive, then drop into a full atg squat, flexibilibty and core strength have to be beyond insane to do this.

I have done it with 80kg, and it is incredibly challenging.

BFGUITAR
01-12-2008, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the info!