PDA

View Full Version : squat command

jtteg_x
01-10-2008, 03:42 AM
I'm training for a full meet this upcomming March and it will be my first time. So far, I have done single lift deadlift. The bench commands are quite easy to figure out but I noticed that the judges do not give a "squat" or "up" command to let you know that you've hit depth. Or maybe the videos im watching online are just low in volume and quality. I would like to compete a full APC and USPF show this year. can anyone tell me more about how the squat is judged and any tips for those who competed these 2 particular federations?

WillKuenzel
01-10-2008, 04:17 AM
It's your responsibility to hit depth. The judges do not call depth. They give you the "squat" command once you have unracked the weight and they deem you ready to start. Read the rules of your particular federation for what they're looking for in order to let you begin. You squat down and come up. After you've come up they'll give you the "rack" command, at which point you can make your first move forward to set the weight back.

As far as depth, that's your call.

drew
01-10-2008, 05:33 AM
Get a training partner that you trust to call your depth. This should be someone who knows what proper depth is and won't screw you over. His command should be a simple "UP!" as soon as you hit proper depth.

Chubrock
01-10-2008, 06:39 AM
It's your responsibility to hit depth. The judges do not call depth. They give you the "squat" command once you have unracked the weight and they deem you ready to start. Read the rules of your particular federation for what they're looking for in order to let you begin. You squat down and come up. After you've come up they'll give you the "rack" command, at which point you can make your first move forward to set the weight back.

As far as depth, that's your call.

Where you been at Whitey? I sent you a PM the other day.

Guido
01-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Practice, practice, practice squatting to proper depth and ti will become second nature. Don't squat in front of a mirror, either. You'll be too busy checking your depth in the mirror and not focusing on proper form and it will only mess you up in the meet when the mirror is not there. Doing box squats to just below parallel helps and then remove the box a few weeks before and have someone watch your depth to be sure.

Hatred
01-10-2008, 02:16 PM
All great advice here.