PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol

JamesQuarles
01-10-2008, 07:30 AM
Does drinking alcohol really effect strength? I don't know if I beleive it in all cases. Give me your opinion please.

WillKuenzel
01-10-2008, 07:33 AM
I've found that when I've been drinking I think I can lift more than I really can. I'd say if anything, it helps because I have more confidence to lift more than if I hadn't been drinking.

Isaac Wilkins
01-10-2008, 07:42 AM
One of the best sessions I've had lately was fueled by a four-pack of Guinness. It gives you strength!

Of course, it did make some of the overhead squats I was doing a bit more exciting, but we'll not get into that...

:D

What are you actually asking as a question? Does chronic drinking affect strength, or does training while under the influence affect it?

Chronic alcoholism probably won't have any benefit, but strength is less dependent on alcohol than body composition would be.

Da Wasian
01-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Shouldnt drink.
If your trying to stay healthy.

BigCorey75
01-12-2008, 11:34 PM
yeah we drank all the time in college and i got strong as a beast, carried some excess bodyfat but was still strong as a mofo

Detard
01-12-2008, 11:46 PM
ME Bench is sometimes put on saturdays.... when i'm usually hungover.

deeder
01-13-2008, 12:31 AM
Guys i am pretty drunk right now.. definitely got one eye closed just so I can see this.. Getting drunk makes you stronger bitches.

Or atleast that's what I'll claim cmoe monday when I have to do 16's again...

Rusty
01-13-2008, 06:53 AM
Maybe I should start drinking.......... :alcoholic:

Detard
01-13-2008, 08:53 AM
ME Bench is sometimes put on saturdays.... when i'm usually hungover.

So I was pretty drunk when I typed that... I rarely do ME Bench on saturdays. Dont know why i typed that.

Guys i am pretty drunk right now.. definitely got one eye closed just so I can see this.. Getting drunk makes you stronger bitches.

Or atleast that's what I'll claim cmoe monday when I have to do 16's again...

I'll be the first to second that.

Fuzzy
01-13-2008, 09:04 AM
I tried clean and jerking a 110 pound weight kit at a party whilst drunk.

Bad bad bad idea.

manofsteel99
01-13-2008, 10:36 AM
i think that it affects certain people and not others, i have read that drinking releases catabolic (muscle eating) hormones... i know that it affects me.. i actually feel MUCH better since not drinking, though i rarely drank anyway

RhodeHouse
01-13-2008, 09:54 PM
You guys can't really be serious? Alcohol does nothing good for you, at all. If you really think it does, you are just plain dumb. And, as I've found, there's no pill to cure stupid.

deeder
01-13-2008, 11:13 PM
You guys can't really be serious? Alcohol does nothing good for you, at all. If you really think it does, you are just plain dumb. And, as I've found, there's no pill to cure stupid.

I can't speak for others but I can tell you right now that I was kidding... I was very drunk when I wrote that and new I'd be hurting the next day... Drinking always affects my recovery and my next workout generally suffers because of it.

I guess it's a good thing I don't drink very often.

dxiw
01-14-2008, 08:17 AM
Aside from the anecdotal evidence in this thread, I'd like to present some scientific facts (mind you, I do enjoy beer and am not anti-alcohol):

The good:
1. 1-2 glasses of wine CAN help your heart and cholesterol levels. There are documented placebo controlled studies on this.

The bad:
1. Alcohol consumption (especially in binge quantities) decreases free testosterone significantly, and can inhibit production of GnRH, which is return can lead to testes shrinkage and lower testosterone levels over long term use.
2. A direct link between heavy alcohol consumption and liver cancer as well as scarring of the liver (cirrhosis) has been shown. I think we all know how important the liver is in bodybuilding.
3. In sensitive individuals, alcohol can raise blood pressure and cause alcoholic cardiomyopathy, a condition where the heart rhythms and ejection fraction change due to alcohol being present in the system. This can be deadly.
4. Alcohol has proven detrimental effects on both short and long term memory, some of which is irreversible.

Moral of the story: Enjoy a beer or wine or shot, or maybe a couple, but never more if you can about having a nice body...

Priest
01-14-2008, 10:57 AM
I think its bad because it slows your reaction time.

MihalikPJ
01-14-2008, 09:32 PM
I'm no expert but I have heard that Alcohol consumption can reduce protein synthesis (up to 20% if I remember correctly). I think slim schaedle has done some research on this you might want to ask him.

Sorry i cant post the links to some studies I found...

Moderation is the key here I don't mind having a beer every once in a while its nice to take off the edge sometimes, however going out and getting trashed every weekend probably is not a good approach to living a healthy life (just my two cents I know a lot of people disagree with me).

Sleepy Guy
01-14-2008, 11:25 PM
I have found it works both ways, some good some bad. But drinking and working out is a bad mix.

Invain
01-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Even if it doesn't directly effect your strength, how the hell could you possibly go lift after knocking down a few beers? I tried it one time and threw up half way through my workout.

WillKuenzel
01-15-2008, 07:05 PM
You guys can't really be serious? Alcohol does nothing good for you, at all. If you really think it does, you are just plain dumb. And, as I've found, there's no pill to cure stupid.Of all the people not to get the fact that we were kidding? I do realize that there are a lot of stupid people on this board, but really, c'mon.

garjagan
01-17-2008, 03:24 AM
Of all the people not to get the fact that we were kidding? I do realize that there are a lot of stupid people on this board, but really, c'mon.

In all fairness, there have been studies which showed small amounts of ethanol can reduce plaque in arteries and protect against blood clot formation. I think it would be fair to say small amounts of alchohol could possiblily be benificial to someone who lifts weights and needs to keep the heart in good shape.

but that is 1 drink a day at the very most - literally.

Detard
01-17-2008, 06:28 AM
Even if it doesn't directly effect your strength, how the hell could you possibly go lift after knocking down a few beers? I tried it one time and threw up half way through my workout.

I set a squat PR when I was hungover at 10am. No lie

Guido
01-17-2008, 08:26 AM
Interestingly, three of the strongest people I know are probably among the biggest drinkers. Probably just coincidence but interesting nonetheless. I myself only drink maybe once or twice a week at most and almost never more than 2 beers in one night.

BFGUITAR
01-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Interestingly, three of the strongest people I know are probably among the biggest drinkers. Probably just coincidence but interesting nonetheless. I myself only drink maybe once or twice a week at most and almost never more than 2 beers in one night.

Well, how much more do you think they could lift if they layed off the drinking? I know it's a bad question as there's no way to prove the would be any stronger/weaker.

Ive hit a few PRs the morning after a night of drinking. But no matter what, it CAN'T benefit in any way. It many not affect you much but it does affect you to some degree.

Foggy06
01-17-2008, 12:47 PM
I set a squat PR when I was hungover at 10am. No lie

Respect....for getting up at 10am hungover!

chris taylor
01-18-2008, 09:32 AM
I was a over the top drunk from 1996 to 2001 in those yrs my lifting suffered tremendously, I took endless ammounts of anabolics but to no avail they just kept me where I was, never got stronger and most of the time I hated my life and everyone in it. I worked as a bouncer just to help me get into more fights, and most bars let you drink free.I grew from a lean and strong 242 to a fat and out of shape 308 which I stayed cause I couldnt loose weight (even after I stopped drinking) who eventually had a heart attack and almost died in 2006.. All In all I dont think drinking can help your strength unless it makes you think your strong but your really weak since you need the buzz to keep you feeling normal...

CT

deeder
01-18-2008, 12:49 PM
I was a over the top drunk from 1996 to 2001 in those yrs my lifting suffered tremendously, I took endless ammounts of anabolics but to no avail they just kept me where I was, never got stronger and most of the time I hated my life and everyone in it. I worked as a bouncer just to help me get into more fights, and most bars let you drink free.I grew from a lean and strong 242 to a fat and out of shape 308 which I stayed cause I couldnt loose weight (even after I stopped drinking) who eventually had a heart attack and almost died in 2006.. All In all I dont think drinking can help your strength unless it makes you think your strong but your really weak since you need the buzz to keep you feeling normal...

CT

Damn man.. That's quite a story. Congrats on turning your life around!