PDA

View Full Version : Some Obvious Lessons About Powerlifting Gear

Ben Moore
01-10-2008, 08:55 AM
Well, we moved the box down this week for squats. Couple of things that all of you that use gear probably know. But for me I have been raw up until a few weeks ago, so I guess this is to help those like me:

1. You can't just setup and go on a lower box while in gear. The groove is very important and movement forward or back in that groove may cause a missed lift.

2. Gear that fits well is a must. Take the time to talk with your supplier of choice and get thier input as to what size you need.

3. Have great training partners when learning a new piece of gear. This should go without saying, but they may save your life if in a bad situation.

As my videos showed, I hit 695 and 735 to a higher box (about 1-1.5" high), but after moving down to about 1" below I missed 700 based on number 1 and 2 above. It will go soon, but I wanted to try and help out the others out there thinking of making the switch. Train hard!

Hazerboy
01-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Sounds like some sound advice - especially from another kansas cityian!

Where do you train?

RhodeHouse
01-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Don't train on a box. You don't compete on a box, so there's no need to train that way.

Train exactly like you compete. Free Squatting and Squatting to a box are 2 completely different movements.

ZenMonkey
01-10-2008, 08:15 PM
^^ would you suggest a box for overall leg growth?

also, if this is the case, why is it suggested to break the concentric cycle by incorporating a box in your squats?

WILD BILL
01-10-2008, 10:36 PM
I dont know about not using a box, i used to never use one now i almost always use one. But my box is always lower than my parallel. But i see Mark n Scott use a box n they both squat over 1000lbs in comp so..... And my squat has gone way way up since using a box.

Ben Moore
01-10-2008, 11:00 PM
I agree to not train on a box when training for PL leading up to a comp. I train primarily for Strongman and to become stronger overall. We will definitely be rotating free squats when I get some briefs that fit.

Ben Moore
01-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Sounds like some sound advice - especially from another kansas cityian!

Where do you train?

I train at my house with a small group - what about you?