PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused...

WILLGETNICE
01-10-2008, 10:00 AM
My pre-workout meal consists of 2 1/2 servings of oatmeal with cinnamon, a piece of 100% whole grain wheat bread with peanut butter, and either egg whites with a whole egg or two, or a protein shake. I also take my multi-vitamin with this meal along with fish oil and flax seed oil. My question comes from something I read on the John Stone Fitness forum but I can't find the link. Someone wrote that consuming any fats with a high carb meal spikes your insulin levels. The only insulin spike I try to get during the day comes from my post-workout meal, which I posted a little while ago, or from some CytoGainer if I'm heading straight to work from the gym.

By taking my fish oil and flax seed oil pre-workout, am I spiking my insulin levels? And if I am, is it bad I'm doing so pre-workout and then again post-workout? Thanks.

BFGUITAR
01-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Who ever said you get an insulin spike from specifically eating fats+carbs is either dumb or not telling the truth.

Fat slows absorption of all food down, it actually REDUCES your insulin spikes.

phatmike
01-10-2008, 01:05 PM
Who ever said you get an insulin spike from specifically eating fats+carbs is either dumb or not telling the truth.

Fat slows absorption of all food down, it actually REDUCES your insulin spikes.

This is the truth. Beyond that, I think you are worrying too much about the small things. Keep your calories in check (they are king at the end of the day), make good, solid food choices (which from your examples look fine) and you will be good to go.

Brad263
01-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Why both flax seed and fish oil. I always thought they pretty much were the same thing so you can do one or the other. But I heard fish oil is easier used by your body.

Unreal
01-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Read Built's article on fats/fish oil/flax. Flax isn't needed if your doing fish and fish is better because of conversions needed for flax.

Brad263
01-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Read Built's article on fats/fish oil/flax. Flax isn't needed if your doing fish and fish is better because of conversions needed for flax.

Thats pretty much what I said just a little better wording.