PDA

View Full Version : My Maximum Mass Stack experience

Bernard Hsu
01-10-2008, 10:54 PM
I am a 19 year old lifter who has been lifting for 2 years. I played football in high school my senior year of high school (got my ass kicked everyday) and took up lifting seriously after a local SLP bench/deadlift competition in June 2007.

I started reading everything I could about training and nutrition, and I came upon AtLargeNutrition. I had tried some supplements when I started lifting with my friends. Some EAS whey protein, some generic fruit punch flavored creatine, GNC mass gainer, Xport whey isolate mix. I saw progress from these supplements, but there was something missing. I used these supplements at a time when I was losing weight (during football season in late 2006) and I had no idea why my weight kept dropping. Nothing could stop my weight loss. My lifts were being negatively affected. At this time, I had a 205 bench press for 2 reps, 225 squat for 3 reps, and a 315 deadlift for 1 rep, all at a whopping 151 pounds.

Fast forward to June 2007 at the bench/deadlift competition. I got a 255 shirted bench press and a 405 suited deadlift at 165 pounds, 18-19 year old division. In the gym, I had a raw 225 bench for 1, and a slow 365 deadlift for 1 raw. Needless to say, 2 people did worse than me in the bench: a seemingly untrained woman who competed only for the sake of her husband and a 5 year old boy who was there because his dad set a state record. From this point, I decided I needed just more protein in my diet to make my lifts go up. From this, I consumed about 92 grams of whey protein a day. In August 2007, after consuming all that whey protein for 2 months in a row, my lifts made minimal gains. My deadlift was still 365 for 1 and slow and my bench was 245 for 1 and I was at around 170 pounds.

So enough of the backstory. My first semester at college, I read an article about PWO, and its importance. It linked to AtLargeNutrition. I started to become interested in all of their products involved in gaining mass. Everything on the website, from the research statements on the product page to the customer testimonials only promised results. So I ordered a Maximum Mass Stack to see what all this was about. When I finished my first semester, I had a 265 raw bench for 1, 405 raw deadlift for 1, and 405 raw squat for 1 at 180 pounds. I had gained quite a bit of fat at school.

I had planned to make the winter break for school the time I would test out the Maximum Mass Stack. First, the information in the Maximum Mass Guide was very informational. I had no prior knowledge about nutrition to begin with, and it helped me plan out everything I needed for success. I had asked AtLargeNutrition if they could change the Opticen to a bottle of Nitrean. This might have been a bad move on my part, but like I said, I had no prior knowledge of nutrition before the Guide.

My diet during the break, everyday

Breakfast:
-3 cups rice
~0.5 pounds of some lean meat, it changed everyday from beef, chicken, pork, etc...
-1 cup 2% milk mixed with 1 scoop nitrean (i am slightly lactose intolerant)
-4 ets capsules
-4 cups chicken broth cooked with 3 eggs

Snack:
-1 cup rice
-about a cup of whatever meat i ate for breakfast

Lunch:
-2 cups rice
-about a cup of breakfast meat
OR
4 bacon, egg, cheese hotpockets

Pre-workout
-2 cups milk mixed with 2 scoops maximus.
-5g creatine

Post-workout
-2 cups milk mixed with 3 scoops maximus, plus 2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter

Dinner
-3 cups rice
-0.5 pounds breakfast meat
~3-4 tablespoons salted peanuts
-4 cups of chicken broth with 3 eggs

Before sleep
-1 cup milk with 1 scoop nitrean
-4 ets capsules

Needless to say, I spent most of my winter break eating. Some meals, such as dinner, lasted up to 2.5 hours of me sitting there eating food. There are some mistakes I made with this diet, such as taking 3 scoops maximus as PWO rather than 2 scoops opticen, and not dividing up the meals.

Training:
Monday ME bench
I rotated my lifts. I changed from Incline (245), Dumbbell Bench (115's), and Floor Press (265) each week and worked up to sets of 1. The 4th week was my test week.
Then I did my regular triceps stuff.. pushdown, dips, decline, incline dumbbell.

Tuesday DE squat
I did a 3 week wave for boxes,
Week 1: 245 for 12 sets of 2
Week 2: 260 for 12 sets of 2
Week 3: 275 for 10 sets of 2
On week 3, I was surprised that 275 popped up like a toy for all 20 reps.
Then I do my regular step ups, lunges, hip adduction, glute-ham raises

Thursday DE Bench
This was the first time I ever used bands. According to the manual, i had to have around 105 pounds of bar weight with mini bands on a standard bench set up. 8 sets of 3 for speed.
Then, regular triceps stuff.

Friday ME Squat/deadlift
week 1: max on deadlift. I got 435 and missed 455 right at the very top.
week 2: max seated good mornings. i am not very good at these. I didnt want to go past 185 for 3
week 3: max on rack pulls from just below knee. I got 545 just barely.
Then I did some glute ham raises, step ups, lunges, and also did dumbbell rows and wide grip pull ups for back work, and shrugs.

Test week:

After just 3 weeks, I did not know what to expect. I am currently 195 pounds

Bench: I thought about the 265 floor press and thought my bench might not have made much gain. I was wrong. I started doing 1's at 225. 225, 245, 265, 275, 295. When I popped up 295, I was unsure of whether to go to 315 or 305. My buddy encourage 315, and I got it. I couldnt believe it. I gained 15 pounds and my bench jumped from 265 to 315. Amazing

Squat: I was always scared of going past 400. My first 405 raw, i dont even believe I went low enough, but this was back during school. I started singles at 315. 315, 365, 405, 425, 455, 460. The 455 was slow and felt bad in the hole, so I decided 460 as the next jump. Came up easy. My squat gained 55 pounds.

Deadlift: I decided that since it was test week, my regular training schedule would be changed and I did deadlift today. It is known that deadlift does not increase with an increase in weight since it is a pulling exercise, not a push. And that is correct, my deadlift did not move much. I lost the 455 at the top, but it came off the ground much faster.

All in all, I gained weight from 180 pounds to 195 pounds, my bench rose a whopping 50 pounds, and my squat gained 55 pounds. This was all in a timespan of 3 weeks. There is no doubt that AtLargeNutrition is the only supplement provider there is.

deeder
01-10-2008, 11:07 PM
Mmmm.. Another random review praising ALN from someone nobody knows... Sure seems worthless to me...

Don't get me wrong.. I ordered the Maximum mass stack a little while ago and am taking all the supps and seeing some good gains but so far I can't honestly say that it's anything out of the ordinary. ETS is helping with soreness a bit but not like some people have reported. As for maximus and opticen, the taste is great and the thickening agent is awesome!

If this is a true story, I think the majority of your gains came from finally learning how to eat properly, gaining 15lbs and training properly. My guess is the supps didn't have THAT big of a role as you try to make it sound. Yes, they helped you get in the food that you needed to and ALN is responsible for setting you on the right path but I think you are attributing too much to the supps.

What happens when you order another Mass Stack and don't see the same kind of results? Does that mean they went bad? You grew immune?

chris mason
01-11-2008, 06:22 AM
Mmmm.. Another random review praising ALN from someone nobody knows... Sure seems worthless to me...

Don't get me wrong.. I ordered the Maximum mass stack a little while ago and am taking all the supps and seeing some good gains but so far I can't honestly say that it's anything out of the ordinary. ETS is helping with soreness a bit but not like some people have reported. As for maximus and opticen, the taste is great and the thickening agent is awesome!

If this is a true story, I think the majority of your gains came from finally learning how to eat properly, gaining 15lbs and training properly. My guess is the supps didn't have THAT big of a role as you try to make it sound. Yes, they helped you get in the food that you needed to and ALN is responsible for setting you on the right path but I think you are attributing too much to the supps.

What happens when you order another Mass Stack and don't see the same kind of results? Does that mean they went bad? You grew immune?

First, this guy is a real customer. He has ordered from us more than once. Your insinuation that it is not real and your general attitude about matters is starting to piss me off. I am on this site every day. I am the co-owner of the company. We do not lie or misrepresent. The isn't saying our products are the only reason he made progress but he is obviously excited about them and feel they helped him significantly. If he gets another stack I am sure he will not experience the same progress, but that should not surprise anyone. Heck, if our stack added 15 bs a pop there would be a lot of 400 lbs monsters out there.

By the way, here is an email exchange between this gentleman and myself:

"Chris, I just posed what I did on the wannabebig forums in the AtLargeNutrition website.

On Jan 10, 2008 10:55 PM, Bernard HSU <xxxxxxxx@gmail.com > wrote:

Chris, please do use my testimonial everywhere you can. If you would like me to, I will write a more in-depth testimonial outlining everything I did for my success. Your products are the best I have ever used, and I have referred my two training partners. When I return to school, I am sure to get more people who will want your products.

On Jan 10, 2008 8:38 AM, Chris Mason <chris@atlargenutrition.com> wrote:

Bernard, you are a good customer, we will not charge you the difference. Can we use your testimonial on our site or in ads?"

deeder
01-11-2008, 02:55 PM
My general attitude about matters? What's that supposed to mean?

All I'm saying is I've noticed an influx of brand spanking new members that come on here and post a nice long write up about how ALN products are the ultimate supplements. I'm all for good feedback but this guy isn't differentiating between the value of a proper exercise and nutrition plan and the added benefits of supplements.

chris mason
01-11-2008, 06:41 PM
My general attitude about matters? What's that supposed to mean?

All I'm saying is I've noticed an influx of brand spanking new members that come on here and post a nice long write up about how ALN products are the ultimate supplements. I'm all for good feedback but this guy isn't differentiating between the value of a proper exercise and nutrition plan and the added benefits of supplements.

You understand exactly what I said. You are questioning my integrity directly by your statements. If you think we are having people lie about what they think about our products, and that is what you are implying, then I have a problem with that.

Bernard Hsu
01-11-2008, 11:46 PM
I am sure that much of my gains are from what I ate, because i ate a similar but lesser version of the same diet when I started lifting, and I made some decent gains, but I had never imagined that adding some supplements would bring me the gains that I got this week.

Think what you want, but people I see everyday will want to know what happened and how.