PDA

View Full Version : Is regular peanut butter that bad?

OGROK
01-12-2008, 11:58 AM
I went out and bought some natural peanut butter and it tastes like ****. Is regular, hydrogenated peanut butter really as bad for you as it has been hyped up to be?

The Bran Man
01-12-2008, 12:02 PM
NO, use the search function.

PatheticJoe
01-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Hydrogenated peanut butter is one of the worse things to eat. The Skippy Natural that's Palm Oil based is an OK compromise but I recomend eating the full natural. I eat it every single day in a shake.

Bicster
01-12-2008, 01:06 PM
eat almond butter. peanut butter is worthless.

The Bran Man
01-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Hydrogenated peanut butter is one of the worse things to eat. The Skippy Natural that's Palm Oil based is an OK compromise but I recomend eating the full natural. I eat it every single day in a shake.

What is your theory behind this ?

The Bran Man
01-12-2008, 01:17 PM

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=96531&highlight=Peanut+Butter

Keith
01-12-2008, 01:21 PM
eat almond butter. peanut butter is worthless.

Where are you getting this from??

It's not as bad as people make it out to be. It's mostly hype.

The Bran Man
01-12-2008, 01:32 PM
j.i.f 4 Life me eats it with spoon out 4 pound jar:thumbup:

BFGUITAR
01-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Check if there is trans fat. If not, it's not bad for you really.

BBB
01-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Hydrogenated Oils ARE NOT FOOD. Period.

The Bran Man
01-12-2008, 01:47 PM

No Trans Fat.

And once Again http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=Peanut+Butter

This discussion has happend many o times

OGROK
01-12-2008, 02:13 PM

I don't think anyone is disputing whether or not hydrogenated oils are bad for you, but whether there is enough of it in processed peanut butter to be a concern. I heard there it contains less than half of 1% of hydrogenated oils, how bad could that be for you?

BBB
01-12-2008, 02:14 PM
Yes, it's the trans fat - which is produced as a result of the hydrogenation processes. There are simply better fats out there for you.

RhodeHouse
01-12-2008, 02:18 PM
You guys are unbelievable. Peanut butter is fine for you. It's been used for years with no problems. Where do some of you come up with this BS?

OGROK
01-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Yes, it's the trans fat - which is produced as a result of the hydrogenation processes. There are simply better fats out there for you.

I'm not sure I understand, the label on the back of the thing says zero grams, and google tells me it does have trans fat, but it is like 1/10th of a gram.

BFGUITAR
01-12-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm not sure I understand, the label on the back of the thing says zero grams, and google tells me it does have trans fat, but it is like 1/10th of a gram.

Thats fine.
Animal fat DOES have a tiny tiny amount of trans fat. The milk I sometimes buy has 0.1g transfat... and its not like they add it.

Our body can convert cis and trans isomers of fat. Too much of it is bad for you bu 0.1 grams is nothing.

PatheticJoe
01-12-2008, 02:47 PM

:withstupi:

For me the one without Hydrogenated oils is sitting right there next to the rest so its a no brainer to chose the healthier path. Less crap in my system the better I say but if anyone thinks its negligble then go for the processed stuff.

The Bran Man
01-12-2008, 03:37 PM
:withstupi:

For me the one without Hydrogenated oils is sitting right there next to the rest so its a no brainer to chose the healthier path. Less crap in my system the better I say but if anyone thinks its negligble then go for the processed stuff.

Bottom Line.... Your opinion sucks.:ninja:

Keith
01-12-2008, 03:41 PM
You guys are unbelievable. Peanut butter is fine for you. It's been used for years with no problems. Where do some of you come up with this BS?

Which is why I stated it's more hype than anything which a lot of people have fallen for. :thumbup:

BFGUITAR
01-12-2008, 03:47 PM
And hydrogenated oils are food... If I were to make sugar from scratch in a lab is it still not food?

TopCat
01-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Personally are there better options? Yes. Does it really matter? In most cases no. If you were eating a ton or attempting to really lean out are times when I think choosing Nat. Peanut butter would be more important. However I am one of those anal people that usually will do whatever I can to benefit my progress.

I personally have grown to love the taste of nat. peanut butter so I don't even bother with Jif etc.

PatheticJoe
01-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Bottom Line.... Your opinion sucks.:ninja:

Kind of odd criticizing a new guy for making a healthier choice on a weightlifting forum. I guess my expectations were a little high.:scratch:

Rusty
01-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Normal peanut butter is fine.

pbal17
01-12-2008, 06:16 PM
And hydrogenated oils are food... If I were to make sugar from scratch in a lab is it still not food?

Go look up what hydrogenation does to lipids. It changes the actual shape of the fat making it useless to the body. A little bit is fine, but avoid it

BFGUITAR
01-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Go look up what hydrogenation does to lipids. It changes the actual shape of the fat making it useless to the body. A little bit is fine, but avoid it

We have processes in our body to change the trans fat into cis fat so it doenst arm us.

And hydrogenated oil itself isnt bad, its the trans fat produced.

The Bran Man
01-12-2008, 06:27 PM

Kind of odd criticizing a new guy for making a healthier choice on a weightlifting forum. I guess my expectations were a little high.:scratch:

I am not criticizing, you didn't ask a question you made a statement. You should be asking questions as well as should I and the rest of the forum if they do not know. I was just reading about Peanut butter the other day and i love JIF "Non Natty" so i kinda took it to heart.

BBB
01-13-2008, 10:04 AM
From Mmmmm Fat! http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=284

"Hydrogenation was developed by Procter & Gamble in 1907 to create a solid fat (from cheap liquid cottonseed oil) that could be used as an inexpensive substitute for tallow in candle and soap making. When electricity became commercially available, candle sales dropped, so P&G started looking for new ways to market this crystallized cottonseed oil. It was dubbed “Crisco” and sold as a substitute for lard."

Does that sound like food to you? It doesn't sound like food to me. Can you eat it? Sure. In small amounts will it hurt you? Probably not. Personally, I think it's nasty.

BFGUITAR
01-13-2008, 10:20 AM
Well we would have used real animal fat for the same purpose...

John04Civic
01-17-2008, 01:51 PM
j.i.f 4 Life me eats it with spoon out 4 pound jar:thumbup:
I always have anyone buy that stuff for me when they see it in stores! I usually eat 3 PB sandwiches a day. Sometimes 6 on a workout day. JIF is the bomb