PDA

View Full Version : Probably Just Another Dreamer

PatheticJoe
01-12-2008, 02:23 PM
The Background

I’m a 33 yr old guy that is 6’1” and presently 152 lbs. I've tried weightlifting about 20 times in my life and I've never stayed with it more than a few weeks until February of 2005. Since then I’ve maintained some really long stretches but still haven’t broken through to the next level. In 07 I went on a serious bulk for me (3200 cals/day) and took myself from 165 up to 180 in 6 weeks but 90% of it was fat and I was busting out of everything I own so I decided to go on a diet in August of 07 to get myself into a better starting position. I weighed 177 at the start of the diet and by Christmas I had myself down to 145. So now I’m ready to bulk (started on 1/7/08) and I finally feel ready to use an online journal to help me break to the next level.

The Bulk Diet

Here is the diet I’m planning on using. The Fitday breakdown is 2400 cals with 40/35/25 split. I know this doesn’t seem like enough calories but trust me; I’m no hardgainer and I have very low muscle mass.

Breakfast = Shake w/ Nitrean, half a banana, cup of dry oatmeal, 2 tbsp of natty PB, & 12 oz skim milk.
Snack #1 = Powerbar
Lunch = Tuna Sandwich and Brown Rice
Snack #2 = Powerbar
Dinner = Salmon/Chicken/Pork w/ Brown Rice & Green Beans or Chicken w/ pasta and marinara, or occasional semi-healthy fast food.
Post workout = 0.5 serving of Opticen

I also take Creatine and an Omega Complex w/ CLA.

The Workout

My routine is a modified version of WBB1.1. Below are the changes.

Day 1, I moved the good mornings and calf raises in between the squats and lunges. Replaced standing calf raises w/ calf presses.
Day 2, Replaced standing shoulder presses w/ seated. Replaced Swiss Ball Cable Crunches w/ regular crunches and a weight, Machine Dips instead of Body.
Day 4, Replaced Step Ups w/ Leg Presses, replaced Walk Outs w/ Incline Sit-ups

I plan on rotating DBs and BBs often to mix things up a little more. I’m also doing Yoga twice a week and 30-45 minutes of cardio 2-3 times a week.

The Goals

Bench 200 max Current 155
Squat 3x8 @ 225 Current 135
Deadlift 3x8 @ 225 Current 115
Body Pull-ups 10 Current 0
Body Dips 15 Current 2
Run 2 miles Current 0.75

Summary

So I hope this time I can stick with things and keep my gym intensity high to push myself to the next level. Criticism and advice welcome.

PatheticJoe
01-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Here is a summary of the first week and some things I learned.

Monday
Squat – 95 lbs – 8,8,8,8,8,7 Increase weight next week
Lunges – 15 lb DBs – 8,8,6 Falling all over the place, move down in the work out next week
Good Mornings – 45 lbs – 8,8,8 Not feeling this right, need to research better form
Calf Raises – 135 lbs – 10,10,10,10,10,10 Increase weight next week
Cable Chops – 95 lbs – 8,8,8,8,8,8 Concentrate more on form
Planks - 3 x 45s Get a soft mat for elbows

Tuesday
Straight Pulls – 125 lbs – 8,8,8,8,8,8 Increase weight next week
Flat Bench – 95 lbs – 8,8,5 Dropped to 85 lbs 7,6,4 Triceps killing me, try elbows in more.
Shoulder Press – 20 lb DBs – 8,8,7,5,5,4 Too much back and chest, do seated from now on.
Dips (machine) – 80 lbs – 8,8,8,8,8,8 Increase weight next week, do one set w/ body.
Standing Curls – 45 lbs – 8,8,8,8,8,3
Crunches – ball was a mess, do regulars 9,8,8,7 add 10lb weight next week

Wednesday, Thought about doing cardio but decided I needed the rest.

Thursday
Deadlifts – 115 lbs – 8,8,8,8,8,8 Terrible form way too much back
Step-ups – 25 lb DBs– 8,8,6 Really hate these, replace with presses
Pull Through – 140 lbs – 8,8,8,8,8,8 Increase weight next week
Seated calfs – 50 lbs – 8,8,8,8,8,6 Do slower and stop weight
Walk-outs - Tried once and really hated, do incline sit-ups 8,8,8,8,6,4
Side Planks - Abs dead from sit-ups, do next week.

Friday
Chin-ups - 5,5,4,4,3,3
Dumbbell Rows – 30 lbs – 8,8,8,8,8,8 Increase weight next week
Push-ups - used lowest pin on squat rack 10,8,5,5,4,4
Scaption – 10 lb DBs – 8,8,8,8,8,8 Increase weight next week
Skull Crushers – 40 lbs – 8,8,6,6,6,5
Leg Raises - 8,8,7,7,7,5

Major lessons
1. Good Mornings really need help, researched on the forum and found I need to keep ass out and let toes come up a little. Might try in a Smith machine as well to help form.
2. Deadlift form is absolutely terrible, need to focus on coming back to a low squat position and using more legs. Maybe try sumo deads as several noted them to be more natural.

PatheticJoe
01-12-2008, 02:30 PM
So the First week diet went very well. Took till Wednesday to get the Nitrean and Opticen so my cals and protien were a little low early in the week. A bigger stomach would certainly help but I guess I'll just have to keep stuffing it in there till it grows as well.

redFury
01-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Nice work so far man... I think you'll be able to smash your goals in 3-5 months. Thats a ton of volume as well... very impressive for just getting back into it.

borracho
01-12-2008, 10:21 PM
good luck on your journy....stick with it and im sure you'll get there

PatheticJoe
01-13-2008, 12:49 PM
redFury and Borracho, Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to try very hard to stick with this.

Weekend Update

Well I did 30 minutes on the exercise bike both days and ran 0.35 miles on Saturday (calf ligament stiffened into steel) and did 0.5 miles today and felt good. My pace is about a 10 minute mile. I know I really suck at running but I'm determined to get this area more respectable.

As for the diet I came up a little short (250 cals) yesterday on calories but kept my protien high (1.3 g/lb). I'm on track today to do it all and really want to have the system primed for the big squat day tomorrow.

Rusty
01-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Stay consistant and you'll smash those goals!

PatheticJoe
01-14-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks for encouragement Rusty, I really think I'm gonna need it.

So the diet went perfect today, got all my cals and protien in. Chuggin down the Opticen now. As for the workout......what a mess. Here's the breakdown.

Squat – 115 lbs – 8,8,8,8,6,6 I good morning'd too many reps back stiffed up bad
Good Mornings (Smith) – 50 lbs – 8,8,8 Back killing Me!!!! Had to stop
Calf Presses – 155 lbs – 10,10,10,10,10,10 Increase weight next week
Lunges – 15 lb DBs – 8,8,8,6, Had to stop for my back
Cable Chops – 125 lbs – 8,8,8,8,8,8 These felt surprisingly good on the back, Increase weight next week.
Planks - 1min,45s,40s, Couldn't take anymore.

So basically I didn't concentrate on my form during the squats, my back tighten up really bad and it screwed up the rest of the workout. Next week I'm really going to concentrate on my form. On a good note I really enjoyed doing the Good Mornings in the Smith, really allowed my to stick my a$$ out and really felt the pull in the hamstrings.

P.S. My back still hurts

PatheticJoe
01-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Today was my first real diet challenge. I got dragged into a long meeting at work where they were serving company prepared food. It ended up being roast beef, mashed potatoes, a vegatable medley, and a fresh fruit medley. It also caused me to miss my morning snack. I worked it all out on fitday but my balance was off (too much fat from the roast beef), but I did hit my calorie target.

The workout was great tonight (although my back still hurts), I'm really impressed with the better bench results at 95 lbs and got more out of the seated shoulder presses than the standing version.

Straight Pulls – 140 lbs – 8,8,8,8,8,8 Increase weight next week
Flat Bench – 95 lbs – 8,8,8,5,5,4
Shoulder Press – 20 lb DBs – 8,8,8,7,6,6
Dips (machine) – 95 lbs – 8,8,8,8,8,8 Increase weight next week
Standing Curls – 45 lbs – 8,8,8,6,5,5
Incline Sit-ups – 18,9,4,done

Unfortunately my gym is closing for a few days while they redo the floor in the aerobics room so I will push my normal Thursday/Friday workouts to Friday/Saturday and then reset on Monday.

Runty
01-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Nice workouts. Keep upping the weight and your goals will be behind you in no time. That sucks they close the whole gym because of the aerobics room :scratch:

PatheticJoe
01-15-2008, 11:50 PM
Nice workouts. Keep upping the weight and your goals will be behind you in no time. That sucks they close the whole gym because of the aerobics room :scratch:

Thanks Runty. Yeah I think in the past I've not pressed myself enough to up the weight so its a focus this time. As for the gym, apparently the stuff on the aerobics floor creates a really bad/unhealthy smell as it cures so no people allowed in the whole gym, membership is free from the company so I can't complain too much.

Built
01-16-2008, 12:42 AM
I see you're dieting by percentages: 40/35/25

If I were you, I'd reconsider this approach.

Fuzzy
01-16-2008, 02:28 AM
Eat more whole foods man, I spend a considerable amount of my own money on good quality steak etc.

PatheticJoe
01-16-2008, 10:02 PM
I see you're dieting by percentages: 40/35/25

If I were you, I'd reconsider this approach.

Built, Thanks for checking in on me, I feel like my journal is somehow been validated now, weird huh. :bow: I'm a little surprised you'd recommend something else for a newbie like me. I based the diet on this At Large article (http://www.atlargenutrition.com/gainingmass.php). I could change but until I demonstrate some real dedication and consistency I want to keep it simple. Hopefully a lot more advanced diets and lifting programs are in my future.

Eat more whole foods man, I spend a considerable amount of my own money on good quality steak etc.

I assume that's a knock on the 2 powerbars a day. Unfortunately my job doesn't allow for much more. Hopefully when I'm bigger and taking on more calories I can squeeze more in.

PatheticJoe
01-16-2008, 10:06 PM
Today was a planned rest day. Got all my cals and protien in. Had homemade tacos with wheat tortillas for dinner so my fat was a little high but nothing too bad. There is talk my gym might be open tomorrow, I really hope so, I want to try out sumo deads soon.

Mad Martigan
01-16-2008, 11:40 PM
Joe, let me tell you a couple of things that helped me with squats. When I first started doing exercises like squats and deadlifts, I decided that form was the key to not hurting myself(as that can be easy with these movements). That may be obvious, but it bears pointing out. It seems like you've already got this concept, so I'll tell you how I developed my form. I used repetition not only to make myself more comfortable with the movements themselves, but also to develop an arched back deep, coordinated movement. I did legs on Fridays, so I did some squat work along with every other workout. Kind of like a halfass 5x5 program. On Mondays I would do 5 sets of five reps with a very light weight. I concentrated on deciding where I felt the bar was most comfortable on my back and what stance felt the most natural. I also concentrated on how my torso and legs moved together. I did the same thing on Wednesdays. You need to get a feel for going through the motions with comfortable, stable positioning. The depth of the squat wasn't there for me right away, but it developed with some practice. Go ahead and do your regular squat workout on your leg day, and continue using the best form you can muster. As you continue, it will feel more natural and your squats will get deeper and you will feel more power in your muscles as they get more accustomed to correct positioning, form, and working in concert. 25 reps with some light weight is enough time for you to start making adjustments, testing them, and readjusting without worrying about wasting a leg workout or falling on your face under a real working set.

Built
01-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Joe, I'm kinda surprised ALN still advocates a percentage based approach. Most of us here have moved beyond this type of dieting. There's really no rationale for it - the body can't do math. Rather than "percentages" think "Lean body mass-based dosings". Feed the muscle what it needs.

The most basic food rules are as follow:

Set your calories. Of these, make sure to consume at least 1g protein per pound LBM, at least half a gram of fat per pound LBM, and at least 25g fibre. The rest of your calories can come from anything you feel comfortable eating.

Oh, and get in 10g fish oil daily.

That's it. Pretty damned simple.

Re squats - try fronts. My back squat never did as much for my quads as fronts do. Really teaches you form, too.

Keep up the good fight, k? :)

PatheticJoe
01-18-2008, 07:28 PM
Joe, let me tell you a couple of things that helped me with squats. When I first started doing exercises like squats and deadlifts, I decided that form was the key to not hurting myself(as that can be easy with these movements). That may be obvious, but it bears pointing out. It seems like you've already got this concept, so I'll tell you how I developed my form. I used repetition not only to make myself more comfortable with the movements themselves, but also to develop an arched back deep, coordinated movement. I did legs on Fridays, so I did some squat work along with every other workout. Kind of like a halfass 5x5 program. On Mondays I would do 5 sets of five reps with a very light weight. I concentrated on deciding where I felt the bar was most comfortable on my back and what stance felt the most natural. I also concentrated on how my torso and legs moved together. I did the same thing on Wednesdays. You need to get a feel for going through the motions with comfortable, stable positioning. The depth of the squat wasn't there for me right away, but it developed with some practice. Go ahead and do your regular squat workout on your leg day, and continue using the best form you can muster. As you continue, it will feel more natural and your squats will get deeper and you will feel more power in your muscles as they get more accustomed to correct positioning, form, and working in concert. 25 reps with some light weight is enough time for you to start making adjustments, testing them, and readjusting without worrying about wasting a leg workout or falling on your face under a real working set.

That's great advice thanks. It never occured to me to work on form with a light weight on non squat days. I'll try it next week.

Joe, I'm kinda surprised ALN still advocates a percentage based approach. Most of us here have moved beyond this type of dieting. There's really no rationale for it - the body can't do math. Rather than "percentages" think "Lean body mass-based dosings". Feed the muscle what it needs.

The most basic food rules are as follow:

Set your calories. Of these, make sure to consume at least 1g protein per pound LBM, at least half a gram of fat per pound LBM, and at least 25g fibre. The rest of your calories can come from anything you feel comfortable eating.

Oh, and get in 10g fish oil daily.

That's it. Pretty damned simple.

Re squats - try fronts. My back squat never did as much for my quads as fronts do. Really teaches you form, too.

Keep up the good fight, k? :)

Really appreciate the advice. Because I'm bulking I'm meeting your simple criteria but would definately have to change if I was cutting. When you first posed the suggestion to use a different diet i guess I assumed you meant setting my meals up by macro (i.e P+F meals only) which would be a pain for me.
Although today wasn't a squat day I tried the front squats but I couldn't get my wrists to bend that way and when I tried the crossed arms hold the bar felt really unstable so I think I'll work on my back squat form and come back to front squats when I'm more flexible, hopefully my yoga will get me there.

PatheticJoe
01-18-2008, 07:40 PM
Well the gym was closed yesterday but I had a good diet day with all my goals met.

For today the diet is going great, only one more meal. I weighed myself "empty" this morning and came in at 154 lbs. This is great since my last bulked I fattened up way too fast. Seems like this time more muscle is going on. The workout was also good. Because I'm having troubles with deadlifts and squats I've decided to do these last on their respective days to keep from messing up the rest of the routine. Here are the numbers.

Leg Presses – 185 lb – 8,8,8,8,8,8 Increase weight next week
Pull Through – 155 lbs – 8,8,8,8,8,8 Increase weight next week
Seated calfs – 50 lbs – 8,8,8,8,8,8 Increase weight next week
Crunches - 10 lb - 20,16,10,8,8,7
Side Planks - 30s,30s,27s,23s,16s,16s
Sumo Deadlifts – 115 lbs – 8,8,6,6,5,5 Felt great, back just a little sore, but nothing like before.

Really loved the sumo form over the standard so this will be a permanent change.

PatheticJoe
01-20-2008, 12:11 AM
So I slept in really late today and wasn't able to get all my cals and macros in but it felt really good to sleep in. The workout was awesome today. My triceps are really exploding and the gains in the chin-ups is very sweet. Here are the numbers.

Chin-ups 8,6,5,5,4,3
Dumbbell Rows – 35 lbs – 8,8,8,7,7,6 Increase weight next week
Push-ups - 13,8,7,6,6,4
Scaption – 15 lb DBs – 8,6,5,5,5,5 These felt weird with the higher weight?
Skull Crushers – 40 lbs – 8,8,8,8,8,8 Super Easy!!! Increase weight next week
Leg Raises 8,8,8,8,7,6 Straigthen out legs next week

So tomorrows a rest day. I'll be cheating on the diet to do pizza with the football games. Really hope San Diego pulls off a miracle and Green Bay ends Eli's luck streak.

Built
01-20-2008, 12:26 AM
Hey, you're really on this! This is great that you're so enthusiastic about what you've taken on!

Regarding diet, the only reason I like the P+F, P+C thing is comfort. It doesn't matter to everyone, basically hit your macros using foods you like and in combinations you find comfortable and you're golden. The rest of the details you'll tweak as you find your way and as your body and goals change.

Good call on not gaining too fast. You'll have to gain SOME fat, of course, but you don't need to - or want to - gain a ton of fat. Not only is it a bitch to cut later on, it interferes with partioning beyond a certain point.

Carry on...

PatheticJoe
01-20-2008, 12:34 AM
Hey, you're really on this! This is great that you're so enthusiastic about what you've taken on!

Regarding diet, the only reason I like the P+F, P+C thing is comfort. It doesn't matter to everyone, basically hit your macros using foods you like and in combinations you find comfortable and you're golden. The rest of the details you'll tweak as you find your way and as your body and goals change.

Good call on not gaining too fast. You'll have to gain SOME fat, of course, but you don't need to - or want to - gain a ton of fat. Not only is it a bitch to cut later on, it interferes with partioning beyond a certain point.

Carry on...

Can't tell you how much I appreciate the encouragement. I know if I stick with this good things will happen.

Built
01-20-2008, 12:41 AM
Yes it will. It did for me - I was a fat 38-year old when I started, and I can't imagine living any other way now. I feel younger now than I did in my twenties.

RedSpikeyThing
01-20-2008, 08:52 AM
good effort Joe, glad to see you sticking with it. Keep doing what you're doing (and listening to built ;)) and you'll hit your goals in no time.

bjohnso
01-20-2008, 09:09 AM
Welcome to WBB! Sooner or later you'll have to change your user name, because you won't be pathetic.

Why are you using the smith machine for good mornings?

PatheticJoe
01-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Yes it will. It did for me - I was a fat 38-year old when I started, and I can't imagine living any other way now. I feel younger now than I did in my twenties.

That's a great testimony to the power of weightlifting and proper dieting. I hope I can say the same because my twenties were pretty sad.

good effort Joe, glad to see you sticking with it. Keep doing what you're doing (and listening to built ;)) and you'll hit your goals in no time.

Thanks, I feel the goals are a lot closer now that things are really growing.

Welcome to WBB! Sooner or later you'll have to change your user name, because you won't be pathetic.

Why are you using the smith machine for good mornings?

Maybe changing my username and definately the journal title will be graduation gifts when I reach my goals. As for the GM'gs I just can't keep the bar from rolling down my back when I lean over far in the exercise and the smith totally eliminates this issue allowing me to focous on leaning back on my heels and getting a good stretch. I will try going back to free weights once I'm bigger, maybe I need more back muscle to rest the bar on?

bjohnso
01-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Are you resting your bar on your rear deltoids? Upper back and ab tightness are critical for me on that exercise. Pull your shoulder blades back like you are trying to touch them together.

PatheticJoe
01-20-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm placing it in the same spot I would on a high bar back squat, not sure of the muscle names. I'll try it free weight again with your suggestions but it seems as long as the smith is producing a good pull in the hamstrings I should be ok.

Built
01-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Are you bending over, or are you leaning your ass back? Pay attention to the path the bar travels. It should travel in a vertical line, as if you're attached to the Smith, but you're not. You lean your ass waaaaay back, look up, arch in your back, and pivot at the hip. Knees are straight but NOT locked, there needs to be some play and they'll bend a bit, which is correct.

bjohnso
01-20-2008, 05:59 PM
Are you bending over, or are you leaning your ass back? Pay attention to the path the bar travels. It should travel in a vertical line, as if you're attached to the Smith, but you're not. You lean your ass waaaaay back, look up, arch in your back, and pivot at the hip. Knees are straight but NOT locked, there needs to be some play and they'll bend a bit, which is correct.

Do all this, plus the bar should be in a low-bar squat position. Rear delts are the muscles on the back of your shoulder, if you are lean and do a rear-double bicep pose (and have a double mirror, haha) you should be able to see them. The bar has a nasty tendency to roll down your neck when you do GMs in a high bar squat position, it feels great.

WILD BILL
01-20-2008, 06:10 PM
Whats up bro? Im from sac as well. Where do u lift at? Are u training more for looks n size or stronger like powerlifting?

PatheticJoe
01-20-2008, 09:18 PM
Whats up bro? Im from sac as well. Where do u lift at? Are u training more for looks n size or stronger like powerlifting?

Thanks for checking in, I work at Aerojet and use the company gym since its free. I'm going for strength, looks, and health in that order. Basically, I'm really tired of trying to help someone move furniture for example and being a total wimp about it. Of course, catching a girls eye just from size would be nice to but I'm not sure I can get myself that big at this age. Go Kings!

PatheticJoe
01-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Built and Bjohnso, Thanks for the GM'g advice. I feel I'm doing them really well now in the smith. The first few attempts at free weights were horrible but with the smith I can really stick my a$$ out and rock back on my heels to get a good stretch. As I said earlier I'll try them again with a low bar position with free weight but I think I'm fine allowing this one exercise to be in the smith. At least I'm not a total machine junky.

Built
01-20-2008, 10:53 PM
Indeed, but do 'em right if you're going to do 'em. Get off the Smith as soon as you can suck it up and take the plunge, k?

You'll be fine. Really. I'm an old woman and I can do them. If I can, you can. <feel the shame, feel the shame...>

;)

PatheticJoe
01-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Built and Bjohnso, well I did it. No more smith. I still had the bar up a little higher than I think you were describing but it felt good and got a great stretch in the hammies. The weird part was the tops of my butt muscles were really sore, :scratch: I guess I'm working things I never have before.

PatheticJoe
01-21-2008, 10:27 PM
So yesterday sucked, both of my teams lost, the pizza didn't taste very good, and to top it off it gave me diarrhea. I guess I'll think twice about cheating again.

Today's been a great diet day. The gym was a little rough, because of the closure I lost a day of rest between the cycle and I felt it. The good mornings went really well (no more smith). Even though I dropped the weight to work form I still GM'g a few reps in my squats but overall form was much better. Here are the numbers.

Lunges – 20 lb DBs – 8,8,8,8,6,6
Good Mornings – 65 lbs – 8,8,8,8,8,8 Up 10lbs next week
Calf Raises – 205 lbs – 8,8,8,8,8,7 Increase weight next week
Cable Chops – 140 lbs – 8,8,8,8,8,8 Need to research form on this.
Planks 3 x 45s 1m, 1m, 30s,
Squat – 95 lbs – 8,8,8,8,8,8 Increase weight next week

Built
01-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Funny thing about junk food - it tastes good, but it invariably makes ME feel sick, too.

Good job on ditching Smith. Meatheads everywhere salute you. ;)

PatheticJoe
01-22-2008, 11:39 PM
Well apparently free weight GM'gs are better because my hamstings have been killing me today. Diet was flawless today. Workout felt good but I was disappointed with the bench results. Here are the numbers.

Straight Pulls – 155 lbs – 8,8,8,7,8,6 Increase weight next week
Flat Bench – 95 lbs – 8,8,8,6,5,4
Shoulder Press – 20 lb DBs – 8,8,8,8,8,8 Increase weight next week
Dips (machine) – 110 lbs – 4 (body),8,8,8,8,8 Increase weight next week
Standing Curls – 25 lbs DBs – 8,8,3 dropped to 20 lb DBs, 7,6,4
Sit-ups – 15,15,12,11

Rest Day Tomorrow. :)

bjohnso
01-23-2008, 07:35 AM
I salute you, sir.

Built
01-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Magical hamstring stretch: Sit backward on an incline bench that's long enough for your heel to still be ON the bench. One leg up the bench. Pull gently on the bench with your back arched and your knee slightly bent to stretch hammie. Repeat for other leg.

PatheticJoe
01-24-2008, 10:15 PM
I salute you, sir.

Thanks!

Magical hamstring stretch: Sit backward on an incline bench that's long enough for your heel to still be ON the bench. One leg up the bench. Pull gently on the bench with your back arched and your knee slightly bent to stretch hammie. Repeat for other leg.

I didn't read this soon enough, I went to yoga today and things are feeling good. I'll try this next week though.

PatheticJoe
01-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Yesterday and today were both flawless diet days. Tonight was a major struggle in the gym though. I had NO motivation. I think this 3rd week of high volume is really statrting to get to me. Thank God I only have 1 more. I ended up skipping the side planks (I really hate these) and almost the deadlifts but I finally convinced myself to work on form and ended up muscleing out 6 more reps then last week. Nice gain for almost quitting on them. Here are the numbers.

Leg Presses – 205 lbs– 8,8,8,8,8,8 Increase weight next week
Pull Through – 170 lbs – 8,8,8,8,8,8 Increase weight next week
Seated calfs – 70 lbs – 8,8,8,6,5,4
Crunches - 10 lbs - 20,12,9,7,7,6
Side Planks - skipped :bash:
Deadlifts – 115 lbs – 8,8,8,8,7,5 Increase weight next week

PatheticJoe
01-25-2008, 11:45 PM
Another solid diet day. Workout felt good. I learned today that DB skull crushers are a lot harder than BB ones. Glad I mixed things up and tried them. Here are the numbers

Chin-ups 8,8,5,4,4,3
Dumbbell Rows – 40 lbs – 8,8,7,7,7,6
Push-ups - 15,8,6,5,5,4
Scaption – 15 lb DBs – 8,6,6,5,6,5
Skull Crushers – 20 lbs DBs– 8,8,7,6,6,5
Leg Raises 7,6,6,7,6,5

PatheticJoe
01-27-2008, 10:15 PM
So it was nice to get 2 days of rest. Saturday was a terrible diet day, I ended up meeting my macro goals but only because of a Twice Grilled Burrito from El Pollo Loco. Today was much better but I still came up about 200 calories short. I weighed myself this morning and I'm still at 154 lbs. I definately feel and look bigger though so I'm not too bothered. I'll try an add 200 calories to the daily diet this week and see if that helps.

Built
01-27-2008, 10:20 PM
I take a yoga class once a week, too. Helps this old fossil survive the power cage! ;)

Increase your fats. It's the easiest way to get the cals up. You like peanut butter? Smear a couple tablespoons on apple chunks. There's an easy couple hundred calories right there.

PatheticJoe
01-27-2008, 10:30 PM
I'm going through a jar of PB a week already, I think I'll add some nuts to easily get the cals up. As for the Yoga its been great, although I'm not sure how well strength and flexibility mix, I think I'm recovering faster and feel I'm doing some long term good for the body.

Built
01-27-2008, 10:39 PM
Strength fights mobility. Mobility enhances strength training.

Olive oil is an easy source of calories, too. Toss a shot into your shakes. Butter your veggies. Drink only full-fat milk.

PatheticJoe
01-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Good call on the milk, as much as I hate skim I should have thought of this first.

Built
01-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Chocolate syrup won't kill you in that full-fat milk either...

PatheticJoe
01-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Chocolate anything seems like a slippery slope to me, if I'm still 154 next week it'll be olive oil, nuts or I'll really step up and finally find room for that full serving of Opticen.

Built
01-27-2008, 11:19 PM
Why? Hell, I eat chocolate while I'm cutting! I just don't eat mountains of the stuff - but that's only because of the calories.

Nothing wrong with enjoying your food.

Southern Beast
01-27-2008, 11:46 PM
I think you're doing great, Joe. (I refuse to call you Pathetic; you're doing good so far, just keep it up!).

You're at the right place for encouragement and tips. Like I said, just stick with it. Your body will thank you in many ways. :thumbup:

killxswitch
01-28-2008, 07:32 AM
Keep up the good work Joe. It'll be interesting to see where both of us are in 6 months. We both just started recently and are of similar height, but we're on opposite ends of the spectrum (I outweigh you by 80 lbs of fatness, heh).

PatheticJoe
01-28-2008, 10:59 PM
Built, I was joking with the Chocalate thing, although I could see moderation being a small issue. Just want to say again how much I appreciate your frequent drop ins, really helping me stay dedicated.

Southern Beast, Thanks for the encouragement, the more support the more I want to see those goals.........soon.

killxswitch, that fat should come off you easy, especially if your reading a lot on this forum. As great as I'm feeling after only 3.5 weeks I can't wait to see me in 6 months, really should be good if I stay dedicated.

PatheticJoe
01-28-2008, 11:06 PM
Very soild diet day and I've started increasing the cals so I should see some weight gain this week. Had major gas today so something is already changing but not for the good. It was a great night in the gym, I had a lot of intensity and the GM'gs and squats were really solid. I left with zero back pain. Here are the numbers.

Lunges – 20 lb DBs – 8,8,8,8,8,8 Increase weight and focus on form
Good Mornings – 75 lbs – 8,8,8,8,8,8 Increase weight next week
Calf Raises – 215 lbs – 8,8,8,8,8,8 Increase weight A LOT next week
Cable Chops – 155 lbs – 8,8,7,6,6,6
Planks 6 x 1m 50s,45s,45s,35s,35s,30s
Squat – 115 lbs – 8,8,8,8,7,7 Increase weight next week

Southern Beast
01-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Good job, Joe! Keep it up. That's great there was no back pain.

Built
01-29-2008, 12:06 AM
Tummies often act up with excess calories, especially if you've increased your milk consumption suddenly.

PatheticJoe
01-29-2008, 10:14 PM
Tummies often act up with excess calories, especially if you've increased your milk consumption suddenly.

That sucks but good to know, it was still bad today. Hopefully it'll settle down by the weekend.

Southern Beast, Thanks for the encouragement, I think getting the form right on the squats and deadlifts is as good as getting the weight up, and much better for my back.

PatheticJoe
01-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Solid diet day and I felt really good in the gym. Shoulder presses felt particularly good. Here are the numbers.

Straight Pulls – 155 lbs – 8,8,8,8,8,8 Increase weight next week
Flat Bench – 100 lbs – 8,8,8,6,6,4
Shoulder Press – 25 lb DBs – 8,8,7,6,5,9 (guy talked my ear off before the last set.)
Dips (machine) – 120 lbs – 2 (body),8,8,8,8,8,7
Standing Curls – 20 lb DBs– 8,8,8,7,6,6
Situps - 15,15,11,9,8,8

PatheticJoe
01-31-2008, 11:20 PM
Yesterday and today were soild diet days. Gym was good tonight although my back gave out on the 5th set of deads. I increased the weight 10 lbs from last week and it was shockingly heavy. I guess I'm not growing as fast as I thought. Here are the numbers.

Leg Presses – 225 lbs– 8,8,8,8,6,6
Pull Through – 185 lbs – 8,8,8,8,8,8 Increase weight next week
Seated calfs – 70 lbs – 8,8,8,7,6,6 Do slower and stop weight
Crunches 20,14,12,11,12,10
Deadlifts – 125 lbs – 8,8,6,6,3 Back gave out bad, felt really heavy.

Mad Martigan
02-01-2008, 12:40 AM
Yesterday and today were soild diet days. Gym was good tonight although my back gave out on the 5th set of deads. I increased the weight 10 lbs from last week and it was shockingly heavy.

That doesn't surprise me with that kind of volume, man. Don't worry about it.

killxswitch
02-01-2008, 06:00 AM
Keep up the hard work Joe. Looks like everything's on its way up weight-wise. I wouldn't want to do that many deads, myself. Be careful with that back, man.

RedSpikeyThing
02-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Good work Joe! Adding 10 lbs to a 115 lb deadlift is almost 10%. That's a BIG increase.

PatheticJoe
02-01-2008, 10:36 PM
Mad Martigan, killxswitch, RedSpikeyThing, Thanks for checking in and the positive words. I look and feel stronger but I just need to keep telling myself to be consistent and it'll happen in time not overnight.

PatheticJoe
02-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Great diet day today and felt really good all day. Workout was solid, chin-ups are looking good, I've added 9 reps in 4 weeks :nod: . This was the last day of phase 1 for WBB1.1. Next week is less volume and higher weight so form will be even more critical. Here are the numbers.

Chin-ups 8,7,7,4,4,3
Dumbbell Rows – 40 lbs – 8,8,8,8,6,6
Push-ups - 12,10,8,7,5,5
Scaption – 15 lb DBs – 8,8,6,6,5,5
Skull Crushers – 20 lb DBs – 8,8,7,6,6,5
Leg Raises 8,8,7,7,6,7

Mad Martigan
02-02-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm glad your diet is working for you. It's Mardi Gras here and mine has gone to crap.

PatheticJoe
02-02-2008, 01:52 PM
I miss Mardi Gras, lived in Biloxi MS for 10 years and it was so nice to get a school holiday and party. Get back on the diet soon, its the key.

bjohnso
02-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Good stuff in here Joe. You have tons of volume! I was going to advise against that, but I see that you are addressing it. Keep on keepin' on.

PatheticJoe
02-03-2008, 12:32 PM
bjohnso, Thanks and I can't tell you how glad I am to be moving out of that heavy volume phase.

PatheticJoe
02-03-2008, 12:46 PM
So I weighed myself this morning and came in at 156 lbs so I'm finally putting on some weight. Looks like 2800 cals is the sweet spot for me and I'll maintain this for the next few weeks.

Tomorrow starts the new routine. Instead of 6x8 with 1 minute rests I'll be doing 4x8 with 2 minute rests at about 10-15% higher weight. Based on the last 4 weeks I'm making a few more tweaks to keep the enjoyment factor high. Static ab work is gone; I was really hating this and not feeling a thing from it, plus a lot of this is done in my yoga class. The leg presses (which were a replacement for step-ups) are being replaced with hack squats, one less machine and a better compound movement.

Built
02-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Hey, that's great! Nice when you start working out the bugs in your programme.

Glad to see you continuing to move away from the machines.

For abs, maybe try weighted crunches on a bosu ball - that's what I do. 3 sets of 8-12 reps twice a week, keep adding weight. I suggest using a dumbbell on it's end, because once you get to a 45-lb plate the thing is too damned big, and besides it's hard to stack them on your chest.

Crunch to halfway up, pause, lower slowly all the way down. Explode back up to half way, plant your face on the ceiling, lower slowly...

Remember whom to hate when it hurts to laugh the next day...

PatheticJoe
02-03-2008, 04:50 PM
I still have 4 ab exercises in the routine, I just got rid of the static ones. Assuming a bosu ball and a pilates ball are the same thing I tried this with cable ball crunches in week 1 and I just couldn't do it right. Maybe they're easier with a dumbbell. BTW, I was in Vitamin Shoppe today and saw a thermogenic called Built. Below is a link. Hope your getting royalties.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=K3-1001

Built
02-04-2008, 12:11 AM
Hey, that's AWESOME!

Who knew I contain Kosher Gelatin!
Bosu ball is that thing that looks like a Swiss ball cut in half. It lies flat on the floor so it's more stable than the Swiss ball.

Lots of ways to work abs - that one's my fave. Doesn't hurt my back and I get a full ROM.

PatheticJoe
02-04-2008, 10:05 PM
I had to look up the bosu ball but now I see, that does look very effective for abs but alas my gym does not have one. I might get one for the home down the road.

PatheticJoe
02-04-2008, 10:09 PM
First night of phase 2 went OK. I didn't expect the 2 minute rest to be that significant but it was so most of my weights were too low. The front of my leg right under my knee was flaring up during GM'gs, kinda weird place but I guess its just another under worked something or another. Here are the numbers.

Lunges – 25 lb DBs – 8,8,8,8
Good Mornings – 85 lbs – 8,8,8,8
Calf Raises – 135 lbs – 8,8,8,8
Cable Chops – 170 lbs – 8,8,8,8
Squat – 135 lbs – 8,8,5,6

RedSpikeyThing
02-04-2008, 10:51 PM
good work man! Glad to see you're figuring out what works for you and what doesn't already. Keep at it!

PatheticJoe
02-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks RedSpikeyThing, keeping the enjoyment factor high is really going to help me stay with this.

PatheticJoe
02-05-2008, 10:35 PM
Solid diet day today and I felt great in the gym. I got a really good pump in my arms and was flexing in the mirror because they looked so much bigger, it was cool and very motivating. Switched to dumbbells for the bench and really felt them in my hands and wrists so I definately need to work that area. I was totally thrilled with the 5 body dips, that's 1/3 of my goal already! Here are the numbers.

Straight Pulls – 170 lbs – 8,8,7,7 Increase weight
Flat Bench – 40 lb DBs – 8,8,8,7 Increase weight
Shoulder Press – 30 lb DBs – 8,8,6,6
Dips (machine) – 130 lbs – 5 (body) 8,8,8 Increase weight
Standing Curls – 25 lb DBs – 8,8,7,7
Situps – 22,16,14,13

Built
02-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Roll a handtowel around your sweatshirt and tuck it under the small of your back - ALMOST sitting on it.

Hook your feet under something, and do the crunches that way. They work even better - I just can't do 'em that way anymore 'cause my back is gimpy.

PatheticJoe
02-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Built, How big around should the towel be when its rolled up? I'll try these next week.

PatheticJoe
02-07-2008, 10:32 PM
So yesterday was a rest day but very solid on the diet. Today was a poor diet day. I got caught up in a failure investigation at work and so it was fast food on the way home. It took every ounce of will power to go to the gym but I made it. Had a bad headache though so the crunches got shortened, blood rushing to my head was killing me. Deadlifts felt really easy at 135 although 125 was a struggle last week, I think its the bigger plates helping but I'm not sure. Here are the numbers.

Hack Squats – 95 lbs – 8,8,8,8 Increase weight next week
Pull Through – 215 lbs – 8,8,8,8 Increase weight next week
Seated calfs – 80 lbs – 8,7,6,6
Crunches - 10 lbs - 21,14 done
Deadlifts – 135 lbs - 8,8,8,8 Increase weight next week

PatheticJoe
02-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Wow, I really slaked off with this journal. So I lifted Friday night and it was a solid diet day. Chin-ups were strong but the push-ups are looking a bit feeble. I tried 20 lbs with the scaptions but couldn't do 4 reps so I'll go to 10 rep sets at 15 next week. Here are the numbers.

Chin-ups -8,8,8,4
Dumbbell Rows – 50 lbs – 8,8,7,7
Push-ups - 12,10,7,6
Scaption – 15 lb DBs – 8,8,8,8
Skull Crushers – 25 lb DBs – 8,6,5,5
Leg Raises - 9,8,8,7

Worked on the truck over the weekend so the diet suffered but not too bad. I weighed myself Sunday and came in at 159 which is to high for a one week gain so I'll chop a few calories out this week.

Today was a solid diet day but the workout wasn't good. From the second I did my first rep my back felt weird and after GM'gs it was killing me and I couldn't do squats. I'll try and make up the squats tomorrow if my back can take it. Here are the numbers.

Lunges – 35 lb DBs – 8,8,8,7
Good Mornings – 95 lbs – 8,8,8,8
Calf Raises – 145 lbs – 8,8,8,8
Cable Chops – 185 lbs – 8,7,7,6
Squat – 135 lbs – 3, back screaming

PatheticJoe
02-13-2008, 09:18 PM
Yesterday was a solid diet day with a solid workout. My back felt much better. Dips and curls were feeling really strong. Here are the numbers.

Squats (make up from yesterday) - 135 lbs - 8,8,6,6
Straight Pulls – 170 lbs – 8,8,8,8 Increase next week
Flat Bench – 45 lb DBs – 8,8,5,4
Shoulder Press – 30 lb DBs – 8,8,8,8
Dips (machine) – 145 lbs – 5 (body),8,8,8 Increase next week
Standing Curls – 25 lb DBs – 8,8,7,7

Diet today is all messed up. I have to fast for 12 hours for a blood sugar test in the morning so I'll miss all my targets today. Shouldn't hurt too much though.

Southern Beast
02-13-2008, 09:33 PM
Don't slack off in your journal or your routine, Joe! We're still here to encourage you, and I think you're doing a damn fine job.

PatheticJoe
02-14-2008, 10:54 PM
^ Thanks dude, just got into my truck a little too much. Feeling much stronger and looking bigger so its goin great.

PatheticJoe
02-14-2008, 11:00 PM
The diet was a mess today. I got stuck going out to lunch and then got dragged into a long meeting so I missed my snack and lunch was not the greatest for protien and fat. Workout was good though. Hack squats were a little bit of challenge form wise but the deads felt really good and I can't believe how high the weight is already. I should smash 225 in another month or so at this rate. Here are the numbers.

Hack Squats – 105 lbs – 8,8,6,6
Pull Through – 230 lbs – 8,8,8,8 Increase next week
Seated calfs – 85 lbs – 8,7,6,6
Crunches - 10 lbs - 22,14,12,11
Deadlifts – 145 lbs - 8,8,8,8 Increase next week

bjohnso
02-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Strong stuff in here, you're making some good progress. Props for doing the hack squats, I can never figure those things out.

Why would fasting for 12 hours make you miss your targets? I'm assuming you mean calories/protein/fats. Just stuff your face afterwards to make up for it.

PatheticJoe
02-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks bjohnso, the hack squats are awkward but I'm enjoying them more than the step ups and leg presses so I think I'll stick with them. As for the fasting I didn't want to gorge myself as it might mess up the result. I did eat a much bigger meal the next day to partially atone for the gap but the previous days calories and macros were still short.

PatheticJoe
02-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Fridays workout was strong. The push-ups are finally starting to show some noticable improvement. I did make a nice record for myself, the dumbbell rows at 55 lbs was the heaviest dumbbell I've ever done an exercise with. I know its still nothing in this forum but it was a cool moment for me. Here are the numbers.

Chin-ups - 8,8,7,5
Dumbbell Rows – 55 lbs – 6,5,5,4
Push-ups - 14,10,8,8
Scaption – 15 lb DBs – 10,8,7,6
Skull Crushers – 25 lb DBs – 8,7,6,6
Leg Raises - 10,9,7,7

Saturday was a good diet day and today is going good so far. I weighed in at 160 lbs even this morning which works out great. Looks like 2700 cals is the new target.

PatheticJoe
02-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Perfect diet day today but was gassy the whole day. Workout was strong, back was good through the workout but really stiffened up on the way home, feels ok now though. Here are the numbers.

Lunges – 40 lb DBs – 8,8,7,7 Grip was failing
Good Mornings – 105 lbs – 8,8,8,8
Calf Raises – 155 lbs – 8,8,10,11
Cable Chops – 185 lbs – 8,8,7,7
Squat – 135 lbs – 8,8,8,8

I'll increase all the weights except lunges next week.

PatheticJoe
02-19-2008, 11:14 PM
Another perfect diet day and it was an awesome night in the gym. I can't believe I did 4x8 at 115 for bench and will actually need to increase the weight next week. The shoulder presses and dips also felt really stong. Here are the numbers.

Straight Pulls – 185 lbs – 8,7,6,6
Flat Bench – 115 lbs – 8,8,8,8 Increase next week
Shoulder Press – 105 lbs – 4, dropped to 95 7,8,8 (Grip width was critical)
Dips (machine) – 160 lbs – 7 (body) 6,6,6
Standing Curls – 55 lbs – 8,8,8,6 Increase next week
Situps – 26,16,11,10

PatheticJoe
02-21-2008, 11:39 PM
Yesterday was a bit of a mess diet wise. I got up 2 hours early for a work meeting and was so tired when I got home I ate something quick and was asleep by 8pm so I came up about 600 cals short.

Today was a perfect diet day. Workout was strong, I'm totally blown away by how fast my deadlift is increasing. Tonight the grip started becoming a problem so I expect that will get worse when I up the weight next week. Here are the numbers.

Hack Squats – 105 lbs – 8,8,8,8 Increase next week
Pull Through – 245 lbs – 8,8,8,8 Increase next week
Seated calfs – 90 lbs – 8,7,6,6
Crunches - 10 lbs - 17,14,11,11
Deadlifts – 155 lbs - 8,8,8,8 Increase next week

killxswitch
02-22-2008, 07:06 AM
Keep working hard Joe, making good progress.

Built
02-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Built, How big around should the towel be when its rolled up? I'll try these next week.

Fiddle with it. I use a small bath towel folded in half lengthwise. Roll your sweatshirt into a log, place it across the middle of the folded towel, roll it up a bit but leave a "tail" of towel to sit on, to anchor it under your tush.

Hmm... Perhaps not so clear. Think "jelly roll"...

bjohnso
02-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Steady progress in here. Steady progress is the best kind.

PatheticJoe
02-22-2008, 10:45 PM
Fiddle with it. I use a small bath towel folded in half lengthwise. Roll your sweatshirt into a log, place it across the middle of the folded towel, roll it up a bit but leave a "tail" of towel to sit on, to anchor it under your tush.

Hmm... Perhaps not so clear. Think "jelly roll"...

That part about the sweatshirt and the tail, not so clear. I think I'll stick with the "fiddle with it" suggestion and find the right size for me. I hope these are as good as you say, there is now a lot of anticapation behind them.

PatheticJoe
02-22-2008, 10:47 PM
killxswitch and bjohnso, thanks for keeping up with me and the great encouragement, I'm lovin the steady progress.

PatheticJoe
02-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Solid diet day today, gym was ok. The local chatterbox showed up for some strange reason and kept tryin to talk my ear off. I went to full ROM on the chin-ups for the first time and they felt really strong. I did get carried away with the skull crusher weight but I adjusted it and it worked. Here are the numbers.

Chin-ups - 8,8,6,5
Barbell Rows – 95 lbs – 8,8,6,6
Push-ups - 15,11,8,7
Scaption – 15 lb DBs – 10,9,7,6
Skull Crushers – 60 lb – 8,5, Dropped to 55 8,6
Leg Raises - 12,10,10,8

Built
02-24-2008, 12:55 PM
You just need a support to keep your spine arched so you get a full ROM. I use a bosu, some folks use a swiss ball but I find them too tippy when I have a weight on my chest. You may wish to tuck your feet under a support or even a heavy dumbbell.

PatheticJoe
02-25-2008, 10:17 PM
I tried a few here in the house and I think I've got the size down. I'll try then for real on Thursday.

PatheticJoe
02-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Weekend was solid in the diet department. I tried making my own protien bars but that didn't go so well.

Today was also solid for the diet but what a miserable night at the gym. I felt fine all day and was feeling good when I got to the gym but when I started my first set of lunges my legs were super stiff and hurting. I stretched for a few minutes and tried again but no luck. I then dropped the weight and still bad so I moved on to GM'gs. These were even worse, I got about a third of the way and my glutes were killing me. I dropped the weight and still no go. I did the rest of the workout and by the time I got to squats I was able to repeat last weeks weight. I thought about going back to the lunges and GM'gs after the good squats but just didn't have the motivation to. Hopefully this is just a 1 night aberration and not a trend. Here are the numbers.

Lunges – 40 lb DBs – 4, down to 30 lbs, 7, 4 done
Good Mornings – 110 lbs – 2, down to 95, 3 done
Calf Raises – 155 lbs – 13,12,9,10
Cable Chops – 200 lbs – 8,8,7,6
Squat – 135 lbs – 8,8,8,8

PatheticJoe
02-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Solid diet day today and a much better night in the gym. Bench at 125 felt really heavy but I really worked it hard, I actually got the bar stuck on my chest on the last rep. Unfortunately I worked it so hard I fried my triceps which killed my shoulder presses and dips but everything else was really good. Next week I'll stick the straight pulls in between bench and shoulders and stick curls in between shoulders and dips. Here are the numbers.

Straight Pulls – 185 lbs – 8,8,8,8 Increase next week
Flat Bench – 125 lbs – 8,8,5,4
Shoulder Press – 105 lbs – 7,5,4,3
Dips (machine) – 160 lbs – I could not do a single dip :cry:
Standing Curls – 60 lbs – 8,8,6,5
Situps – 21,14,14,11

bjohnso
02-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Benching and shoulder press look good, man.

What is a "straight pull?"

PatheticJoe
02-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks man, Here is a link for straight pulls.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/LatissimusDorsi/CBStraightArmPulldown.html

bjohnso
02-27-2008, 08:16 PM
Ah, it's a lat exercise. I've tried those before.

PatheticJoe
02-28-2008, 10:44 PM
So yesterday and today were solid diet days. I'm really impressed with how well I'm sticking with the diet and I've had very few fast food cravings. Tonight was great in the gym. I love the progression of my deads and I'm really starting to fall in love with em, just feels good yanking a heavy weight off the floor. Only concern tonight was a bit of knee pain during hack squats, need to watch my form as the weight goes up. Here are the numbers.

Hack Squats - 115 lbs - 8,8,8,8 Increase weight
Pull Through - 260 lbs - 8,8,8,8 Increase weight
Seated calfs - 90 lbs - 7,7,6,5
Crunches (w/ roll under back) - 12,9,10,8
Deadlifts - 165 lbs - 8,8,8,7

Built, I used the roll during crunches and man what a difference. I'll definately keep those in my routine although I'm not sure they are best thing to be doing before deadlifts.

Southern Beast
02-29-2008, 09:07 AM
As always, good work, Joe!

PatheticJoe
03-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Thanks man, really lovin the progress.

PatheticJoe
03-03-2008, 11:08 PM
Ok, so its been a crazy last few days so the journal is a little behind.

Friday was a solid diet day and a good workout. I did screw up the scaptions however, I accidently grabed 20s instead of 15s. Here are the numbers.

Chin-ups - 8,6,5,4
Barbell Rows - 95 lbs - 8,8,8,8 Increase weight
Push-ups - 16,13,9,7
Scaption - 15 lb DBs - 8,5 (realizied I had 20s) 8,8
Skull Crushers - 55 lbs - 8,8,6,5
Leg Raises - 12,10,9,9

Saturday and Sunday were terrible diet days because of all the crap going on. I weighed in at 161 lbs Sunday, a little low but not bad, definately still gaining.

Today was solid in the diet and the workout was strong. Lunges and GM'gs were good which is a nice recovery from last week's debacle. Squats at 145 felt good but I still GM'g a few reps at the end, something about bad form when nearing muscle failure that needs more focous. Here are the numbers.

Lunges - 40 lb DBs - 8,8,6,6
GM'gs - 110 lbs - 8,8,8,6 Increase Weight
Calf Raises - 165 lbs - 10,9,10,8 Increase weight
Cable chops - 200 lbs - 8,6,6,5
Squats - 145 lbs - 8,8,8,6 Increase weight

PatheticJoe
03-05-2008, 12:18 AM
Good diet day, although I missed my morning snack. Felt really strong in the gym and my triceps really responded well to the reorganizied routine. My right wrist was killing me after the bench presses but went away after 10 minutes or so.

Flat Bench - 125 lbs - 8,7,6,5
Straight Pulls - 200 lbs - 8,8,7,7
Shoulder Presses - 105 - 8,8,6,5
Curls - 60 lbs - 8,8,6,5
Dips - 160 lbs - 6 (body) 8,8,7
Situps - 28,18,13,10

PatheticJoe
03-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Yesterday was a rest day and was solid in the diet but today is a total disaster. A new chick was doing yoga and she was doing more advanced moves. I wasn't focused on one called "the crow" and I tweaked my right shoulder really bad. By the time I left work it was intense. I took some tylenol and put some bengay on it and its OK now but still hurts. As much as it kills me given the great progress so far I'll be taking the next week and 3 days off. I hope this is enough time to let it heal. I'll drop my diet down to a 2000 cal maintenance level while I rest. Totally sucks but its my own fault for not being focused. :bang:

PatheticJoe
03-12-2008, 07:48 PM
So the shoulder is feeling great for all the day to day stuff, I haven't put any real weight on it yet. I'll go back to the gym tomorrow night and resume doing legs as planned for a Thursday. The diet since my last post hasn't been that bad but I've had a few slip ups. I think my weight has stayed fairly level but I'll check on Sunday. I've been crawling the walls since I've been out so I can't wait to be lifting again.

PatheticJoe
03-13-2008, 11:52 PM
Today was a bit hectic so I missed the morning snack and then had grap a burrito on the way home instead of cooking but I still got close to my macro goals. Felt great to be back in the gym. My callouses and grip were a little trouble on the deads but everything else felt good and strong.I never felt a thing in the shoulder so I should be good for my upper body day tomorrow. Here are the numbers.

Hack Squats - 115 - 8,8,8,8
Pull Through - 260 - 8,8,8,8
Seated Calfs - 90 - 7,7,6,5
Crunches - 10 - 19,14,12,11
Deadlifts - 165 - 8,8,8,8

PatheticJoe
03-13-2008, 11:56 PM
BTW, I lost track of my phase transitions. I was supposed to begin phase 3 last week but didn't realize it. I'll do phase 2 all next week and then shift to phase 3 the following week.

PatheticJoe
03-14-2008, 11:47 PM
Diet today was alright, I ate more candy than I have since Christmas but hit all my other goals. Workout was solid. One of the fireman came back to the gym for the first time in months and had the squat rack tied up so I did chin-ups last, as a result they were much harder and I didn't pull off as many sets. Shoulder was absolutely great, didn't feel a thing. Here are the numbers.

Barbell Rows - 105 lbs - 8,8,8,8
Push-ups - 14,11,10,7
Scaption - 15 lbs - 10,8,7,6
Skull Crushers - 55 lbs - 8,6,6,5
Leg Raises - 10,8,7,5
Chin-ups - 8,5,4,3

PatheticJoe
03-17-2008, 12:33 AM
Weekend diet was a little lackluster but I think I hit the calorie goals but the macros were pretty bad. I weighed in at 163 lbs and so I might have gained a bit of fat during the shoulder resting but not much.

PatheticJoe
03-17-2008, 11:49 PM
Very solid diet day today but the gym was a struggle. My knees were bothering me the whole time and the heavier GM'gs really killed my lower back. It caught up with me on squats. I think next week I'll swap the squats and lunges so if the GM'gs mess up my back it won't affect my squats. Here are the numbers.

Lunges - 40 lb DBs - 8,8,7,5
GM'gs - 115 lbs - 8,8,8,8
Calf Raises - 185 lbs - 10,9,8,8
Cable chops - 200 lbs - 8,7,7,6
Squats - 150 lbs - 8,7,2 (back gave out)

PatheticJoe
03-18-2008, 11:38 PM
Another solid diet day. Workout was Ok but things were not as good as I hoped. Bench press dropped 4 reps and curls dropped 2 reps, so not great. My wrists were in a lot of pain after benching and finally gave out during dips. Here are the numbers.

Flat Bench - 125 lbs - 8,8,5,3
Straight Pulls - 200 lbs - 8,8,7,6
Shoulder Press - 105 lbs - 8,7,6,4
Curls - 60 lbs - 8,6,6,5
Dips - 160 lbs - 5 (body), 3 (wrists gave out)
Situps - 19,13,10,9

PatheticJoe
03-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Ok so the end of the week when to hell on me. Had some personal things come up that totally screwed up my lifting. The diet held up pretty good Wednesday thru Friday and is going good today. I missed lifting both Thursday and Friday evenings but I went in this morning and did them both. I supersetted the exercises so I wouldn't be in the gym for 2 hours.

It was weird being in the gym this early and it was pretty cold inside so the early stuff sucked but the late exercises were really good. I was really happy with the seated calfs, skull crushers and deadlifts. The chin-ups especially and barbell rows were awful though. Here are the numbers.

Hack Squats - 125 lbs - 8,8,8,8
Chin-ups - 7,3,2,0
Pull throughs - 275 lbs - 8,8,8,8
Barbell Rows - 115 lbs - 6,5,4,4
Seated Calfs - 90 lbs - 8,8,8,6
Push-ups - 14,11,8,8
Crunches - 10 lbs - 21,16,14,13
Scaptions - 15 lb DBs - 10,8,7,6
Deadlifts - 175 lbs - 8,8,8,6
Skull Crushers - 55 lbs - 8,8,8,8

PatheticJoe
03-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Ok so Monday starts phase 3 of my modified WBB 1.1 routine. Instead of doing most exercises at 4x8 at 2 minute rests I'll drop to 3x8 at 2.5 minute rests. I'll do this for 4 weeks then hit the last phase which will be 3x5 at 3 minute rests. Then Rinse and Repeat.

PatheticJoe
03-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Both Sunday and today were very solid diet days. Workout tonight felt good. I finally switched lunges for leg curls to save my knees. Lower back was problematic early but held up through the routine. Here are the numbers.

Squats - 155 lbs - 8,8,8
Leg Curls - 115 lbs - 8,8,8
Calf Raises - 205 lbs - 8,7,7
Cable Chops - 215 - 8,7,6
GM'gs - 115 lbs - 8,8,8

bjohnso
03-25-2008, 04:32 PM
Everything looks good in here. Don't worry about losing strength in the short-term, it's the long term that matters. Are the lunges bothering your knees?

PatheticJoe
03-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Yeah the lunges were really bothering the knees. It became really problematic as the weight increased and I was having a hard time keeping my balance as well. When I cycle back to the volume stage I'll go back to them though.

bjohnso
03-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Are you driving through your heels with those?

PatheticJoe
03-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Yes.

PatheticJoe
03-25-2008, 11:13 PM
Solid diet day today and an awesome night in the gym. I did, for the first time in my life, 3 legimate sets of body weight dips and what's even better is they felt really solid. Bench press was also very strong tonight and next week I'm movin up to the big 135. I've always hated how I couldn't do reps at that weight but I see that minor goal falling very soon. Here are the numbers.

Flat Bench - 130 lbs - 8,7,6
Straight Pulls - 215 lbs - 8,8,7
Shoulder Press - 115 lbs - 8,6,4
Curls - 30 lb DBs - 8,6,6
Dips - 6,6,5
Situps - 24,15,12

Rest day tomorrow. :alcoholic:

PatheticJoe
03-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Not sure why but just wasn't motivated update this the last few days even though the diet and lifting are going good so here is the run down for the last few days.

Wednesday
Rest Day with strong diet.

Thursday
Diet was a little messed up due to some errands but still good. Workout was nice. Deadlifts are really moving up, I can smell 200 from here. Here are the numbers.

Hack Squats - 135 lbs - 8,8,8
Pull Throughs - 290 lbs - 8,8,7
Seated calfs - 95 lbs - 6,5,4
Crunches - 10 lbs - 22,16,14
Deadlifts - 185 lbs - 7,6,6

Friday
Very soild diet day and the gym felt good. Chinups seem to be stagnating but everything else is improving. Skull crushers felt really good. Here are the numbers.

Chin-ups - 8,7,5
Rows - 55 lb DBs - 8,7,6
Push-ups - 15,10,8
Scaptions - 20 lb DBs - 5,4,4
Skull Crushers - 30 lb DBs - 6,5,5

Saturday and Sunday
Solid diet and rested really well. Weighed in at 165 lbs so still gaining, and nice and slow like I want.

PatheticJoe
03-31-2008, 10:31 PM
Very solid diet day and workout was strong. I GM'gd a number of squat reps and my back was killing me. I need to find what I need to focous on to stop doing that since it's getting worse as the weight goes up. Had a crazy moment while doing calf raises (I do them in the squat rack with an olympic bar on my back). I was leaning in a little more than normal trying to squeeze out an extra rep and the whole rack started sliding, I dropped the weight onto the rack bars and stumbled forward, it really sucked. Here are the numbers.

Squats - 165 lbs - 8,8,5
Leg curls - 130 lbs - 8,8,8
Calf Raises - 215 - 7,7,7
Cable Chops - 215 lbs - 8,7,7
GM'gs - 125 lbs - 8,8,8

PatheticJoe
04-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Solid diet day and an awesome night in the gym. I finally did bench press sets at 135 lbs and it felt good. I really felt it in my shoulders so I'll need to watch that. Dips, Curls, and shoulder presses all felt strong. My triceps felt like they were going to pop out of my arms when I left. Really, really happy with the progress. Here are the numbers.

Bench Press - 135 lbs - 8,5,4
Straight Pulls - 230 lbs - 8,8,7
Shoulder Presses - 115 lbs - 7,6,4
Curls - 30 lb DBs - 8,7,7
Dips - 8,6,4
Situps - 23,16,13

PatheticJoe
04-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Yesterday was a good diet and rest day. Today was also solid for the diet and was a strong night in the gym. I'm totally thrilled with the deadlift progress, I should hit 225 by the end of April at this pace. Hack squats also felt really good and heavy. Here are the numbers.

Hack Squats - 145 lbs - 8,8,6
Pull Throughs - 305 lbs - 8,8,8
Seated Calfs - 95 lbs - 7,7,6
Crunches - 10 lbs - 24,18,14
Deadlifts - 195 lbs - 8,7,6

PatheticJoe
04-04-2008, 10:24 PM
I'm not sure why but I just felt really big today. Chest, tri's, and back all just felt big. Really had me siked up all day. Anyways, the diet was good and the gym was strong. I was really pleased with the chin-ups that had been stagnating the last couple weeks. Here are the numbers.

Chin-ups - 8,8,6
Rows - 60 lb DB - 7,5,5
Push-ups - 16,12,9
Scaptions - 20 lb DBs - 6,5,4
Skull Crushers - 30 lb DBs - 7,6,5

I'll be headed out of town this weekend to see family so the diet will likely fall apart but I'll try to keep it some what under control.

PatheticJoe
04-07-2008, 10:37 PM
So the weekend was really fun but a total mess in the diet department. I haven't weighed myself so I'm not sure of the effect but hopefully 2 days won't do much. Today was good for the diet although lunch was messed up by a meeting. The gym was strong and had a nice bonus. Tonight was the first time I've worn shorts and looked at my legs in the mirror and wow what a difference. Both front muscles are much bigger and a clear defined separation exists between them and my calfs also are more defined. I'm definately changing. Here are the numbers.

Squats - 175 lbs - 8,6,5
Leg Curls - 145 lbs - 8,8,8
Calf Raises - 225 lbs - 8,8,3 (rack slid out on last set, move to smith next week)
Cable Chops - 230 lbs - 8,7,5
GM'gs - 135 lbs - 8,6,6

PatheticJoe
04-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Today was ok for the diet, ended up doing fast food for dinner so it could've been a lot better. Strong night in the gym. I love that I've already added 3 reps to my 135 lb bench press and body dips. 35 lb curls were a struggle, it'd be nice if someone made a thing to easily clip on 2.5 lbs to a DB but oh well. Here are the numbers.

Bench - 135 lbs - 8,7,5
Straight Pulls - 245 lbs - 8,7,6
Shoulder Press - 115 lbs - 8,6,5
Curls - 35 lb DBs - 6,4,3
Dips - 8,7,6
Situps (one decline notch up from previous) - 14,11,10

Rest day tomorrow. :clown:

PatheticJoe
04-10-2008, 10:58 PM
Very solid diet day and good night at the gym. I'm loving the deadlift progress and man did 205 feel heavy. I actually thought it was going to pull the skin off my hands at one point. Tonight was the first night with my new Chuck Taylors and I like them although they look funny in shorts. I was starting to feel the running shoes give under the weight so I had to change. Here are the numbers.

Hack Squats - 155 lbs - 8,8,8
Pull Through - 310 lbs - 8,8,7
Seated Calfs - 100 lbs - 7,6,6
Crunches - 20 lbs - 14,11,10
Deadlifts - 205 lbs - 8,6,6

PatheticJoe
04-11-2008, 11:28 PM
So apparently I injured myself last night because my back was in pain this morning and a weird kinda pain. It got better as the day went on and felt the best after the gym tonight but I can still feel it. Hopefully it goes away soon. Diet was good today and the gym was solid. I'm not happy that I went back a rep on chin-ups and didn't gain at all on push-ups but everything else picked up nicely. Here are the numbers.

Chin-ups - 8,8,5
Rows - 60 lb DBs - 8,7,6
Push-ups - 16,12,9
Scaptions - 20 lb DBs - 7,6,5
Skull Crushers - 30 lb DBs - 8,8,5

Built
04-12-2008, 12:20 AM
Owies! Injuries suck! This one sounds like it's not too bad. Please be careful with it until it settles down.

What do you weigh these days, Joe?

PatheticJoe
04-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Built, thanks for dropping in. I can still feel that thing in my back but its all but 90% gone and with 2 rest days before Mondays lift I should be fine. Still not sure what it was though. I weighed in at 166 lbs this morning so I'm still gaining and nice and slow like I want. Other than the huge gut I look really good so things are goin great.

Built
04-12-2008, 10:51 AM
You're up 14 lbs since January! That's fantastic!

Strength's going up, a non-serious back injury be damned - you're doing great!

Feels good, don't it?

PatheticJoe
04-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Feels good, don't it?

Absolutely. The funny thing is it's been kinda easy once I got the diet right and the lifting is consistent and dedicated.

Built
04-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Absolutely. The funny thing is it's been kinda easy once I got the diet right and the lifting is consistent and dedicated.

You just explained my success in keeping my weight down these last ooooh, seven years or so. Lift right, eat right - and weirdly enough - it works!

PatheticJoe
04-15-2008, 11:55 PM
Well I was a little lazy last night so I didn't update the Journal.

Monday

Very solid diet, I'm doing homemade MRP bars and they're working out well. Workout was good but man did 185 lb squats feel heavy, based on the reps I might've gone to high but it'll be a nice transition into the strength phase next week. Here are the numbers.

Squats - 185 lbs - 7,5,3
Leg Curls - 155 lbs - 8,8,7
Calf Raises (smith) - 275 lbs - 8,8,7
Cable Chops - 8,6,5
GM'gs - 140 lbs - 8,6,5

The bad part about Monday was I finally turned on the blender without a lid, what a mess.

Tuesday

Good diet day and OK workout. I got a little carried away with the shoulder presses and I only picked up 1 or 2 reps on most things so I was a little disappointed. Here are the numbers.

Bench - 135 lbs - 8,7,6
Straight Pulls - 260 lbs - 8,7,5
Shoulder Press - 125 lbs - 3, dropped back to 115, 7,5
Curls - 35 lb DBs - 7,5,4
Dips - 8,7,6
Situps - 16,12,9

PatheticJoe
04-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Well yesterday was a good rest day, diet was strong. Today was good for the diet and gym but completely sucked otherwise. I had a massive allergy thing break out this morning and all day I felt like my head was going to explode. I took a Claritin in the morning and after work but nothing, finally I took some Tylenol allegy stuff and it cleared up in about 40 minutes. Anyways, because of the back injury last week I took it easy on the deads but everything else picked up and felt good. Here are the numbers.

Hack Squats - 165 lbs - 8,7,6
Pull Throughs - 340 lbs - 8,7,7
Seated Calfs - 105 lbs - 8,6,6
Crunches - 20 lbs - 16,12,11
Deadlifts - 205 lbs - 8,8,6

PatheticJoe
04-21-2008, 11:01 PM
What an awful last 3 days. That allegry thing I thought was gone exploded Friday and I sent all day Friday and Saturday with the most incredible sinus pressure I've ever had. It finally started to break late Sunday afternoon and by today I was back to semi normal although I'm still a little clogged up. I would estimate I averaged about 1500 cals between the 3 days so I really fell short and I obviously missed my Friday workout. All in all it just really sucked. The good news though, this week starts the strength phase. 3x5s with 3 minute rests.

PatheticJoe
04-21-2008, 11:09 PM
So I got the diet back on track somewhat. For some odd reason I forgot my afternoon snack and didn't realize it till after supper but everything else was spot on. Workout was strong and man was 195 lb squats heavy. I really felt them in my hips and butt for some reason. My stance was about an inch wider so that may have contributed. Best part was I didn't GM'g a single rep so my back felt really good. Here are the numbers.

Squats - 195 lbs - 5,4,4
Leg Curls - 170 lbs - 5,5,5
Calf Raises - 295 lbs - 5,5,5
Bentover Crunches - 15 (185 lbs), 10 (230 lbs), 9 (260 lbs)
GM'gs - 150 lbs - 5,5,4

PatheticJoe
04-22-2008, 11:38 PM
So I weighed in at 166 lbs this morning so I think the allergy crap cost ~0.5 lb or so but not much. Diet today was very solid and the workout was great although a little later than usual. Bench was definately the highlight, 15 reps at a weight just 10 lbs below my previous 1 RM. Straight pulls felt weird at the really high weight, I'm beginning to think not all exercises do well at high weight & low reps. I used my new dip belt for the first time, felt odd but worked good. Here are the numbers.

Bench - 145 lbs - 5,5,5
Straight Pulls - 275 lbs - 5,4,4
Shoulder Press - 125 lbs - 5,5,4
Curls - 35 lb DBs - 5,5,5
Dips - 10 lb w/ belt - 5,5,5
Situps - Lv 3 - 12,9,8

PatheticJoe
04-24-2008, 10:49 PM
Good rest day yesterday, very solid diet all day.

Today was also very solid for the diet and was a good night in the gym. I finally deadlifted 225 and got 14 reps out, it felt awesome. Like squats on Monday I felt the exercise mostly in my hips and butt so it seems this is a weak area for me. I did feel that back thing flare up during hack squats but it didn't last, hopefully it won't flare up overnight. Everything else was good and solid. Here are the numbers.

Hack Squats - 185 lbs - 5,5,5
Pull Throughs - 400 lbs - 4,4,4
Seated Calfs - 115 lbs - 5,5,4
Crunches - 25 lbs - 13,10,9
Deadlifts - 225 lbs - 5,5,4

PatheticJoe
04-28-2008, 10:20 PM
For some reason I forgot to update this for Friday.

Friday

Very solid diet day and good workout. Felt good to be adding weight to the chin-ups. I got carried away with the weight on the skull crushers though. Push-ups seem to be stagnating, I might need to focus on an extra rep or 2. Here are the numbers.

Chin-ups - 5 lbs - 5,5,5
Rows - 65 lb DBs - 5,5,5
Push-ups - 16,11,9
Scaptions - 20 lb DBs - 5,5,5
Skull Crushers - 35 lb DBs - 4,3,2.5 (I could only get one arm up on the last rep)

Weekend

Well I did 18 miles on the bike on Saturday and 25 miles on Sunday. Felt good with the extra leg strength I've added but the hills were killing my cardio. Diet kinda sucked, with all the riding I ate a lot of junk food to boost the calories.

Today

Very solid diet and OK workout. I actually forgot my lifting journal so I couldn't remember all the weights so I missed a few. The standing calf weight was a little much on the back so I don't think I'll be raising it. Here are the numbers.

Squats - 195 lbs - 5,5,4
Leg Curls - 160 lbs - 5,5,5
Standing Calfs - 315 lbs - 4,5,4
Pulldown Crunches - 15 (185) 8,7 (260)
GM'gs - 145 lbs - 5,5,5

PatheticJoe
04-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Good diet day and solid workout. Blows me away that I did 14 reps at a weight I'd previously only benched once. Dips felt really good and I made a nice pickup on situps. Here are the numbers.

Bench - 150 lbs - 5,5,4
Straight Pulls - 275 lbs - 5,5,5
Shoulder Press - 125 lbs - 5,5,4
Dips - 15 lbs - 5,5,4
Situps - 19,11,11

PatheticJoe
05-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Good rest day yesterday although a little short on the diet.

Today was solid for the diet but sucked in the gym. I had a bad headache and it was super hot in the gym so it started off bad. Then I really felt that spinal crushing pain during hack squats pretty bad and by set 3 I couldn't take it anymore. I think I'll back off the weight and shoot for higher reps until things get stronger in my spine. Then after all that by the time I got to deadlifts I was totally spent and really struggled with the weight. So basically it all sucked. Here are the numbers.

Hack Squats - 195 lbs - 4,4,1
Pull Throughs - 400 lbs - 5,4,3
Seated Calfs - 120 lbs - 3,3,2
Crunches - 25 lbs - 14,11,9
Deadlifts - 225 lbs - 5,3,2

PatheticJoe
05-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Not sure why but I keep forgetting to update this thing on Friday nights.

Friday

Solid diet day and good workout although I talked a lot more than usual so my rest times were erratic. Chin-ups really felt good and everything else was OK but gains are definately slowing. Here are the numbers.

Chin-ups - 10 lbs - 5,5,5
Rows - 65 lb DBs - 5,5,5
Push-ups - 15,12,10
Scaptions - 20 lb DBs - 5,5,4
Skull Crushers - 30 lb DBs - 5,5,4

Weekend

I didn't do anything athletic this weekend since I'm making a big change on Monday. Diet was good though. I weighed in at 167 lbs so my weight has really stalled. I'm going to add some fruit and nuts to the diet to get things gaining again. On Monday I will be riding the bike to work, lifting in the morning at work, then riding home after real work. I'm doing it mostly to use less gas and save a few bucks but I'm sure it will also help with my overall fitness.

PatheticJoe
05-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Well this morning thing sure isn't helping with the Journal. Both days I've been totally spent by the time I got home. Other than that its going good.

Monday

Diet was very solid, I added quite a few calories to make up for the added bike riding and my stalled weight gain. The workout was good, it was nice to be warmed up from the bike ride and just able to hit the big weights. The the exercises were good but I'm really feeling everything more in my butt than anywhere else, kinda weird. Here are the numbers.

Squats - 200 lbs - 5,4,4
Leg Curls - 165 lbs - 5,5,4
Standing Calfs - 295 lbs - 5,5,5
Pulldown Crunches - 260 lbs - 10,9,7
GM'gs - 150 lbs - 5,5,5

Today

Diet was very good, the bike riding was smooth and is working well. The workout was OK, I was a little bummed I couldn't squeeze out the last rep on bench and dips. Situps took a large back slide so apparently I wasn't as focoused as I should be. Here are the numbers.

Bench - 150 lbs - 5,5,4
Straight Pulls - 275 lbs - 5,5,5
Shoulder Presses - 125 lbs - 5,5,4
Dips - 15 lbs - 5,5,4
Situps - 13,10,9

PatheticJoe
05-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Wow, I am so far behind on this Journal. So let me start with some life crap that is affecting my lifting. With all the heavy work and cycling my ingrown toenail crossed the unbearable pain threshold this week. I actually went in Friday to have it cut out my general doc chickened out so I have to go to a podiatrist this week or next to have a pro cut it out. To that end no more lifting that puts pressure on my feet or cycling for a few weeks. So on leg days I'll be doing a lot of stretching some leg machine work, and maybe some leg cable stuff.

Wednesday

Rest day and diet was solid.

Thursday

Road the bike to work and it was a solid diet day. Hacks felt better at a lower weight (I also used 25s to get more ROM), no spinal crushing sensation. Deadlifts really came back to me and I was thrilled to hit every rep, still really feeling it in the butt and hips though. Here are the numbers.

Hack Squats - 145 lbs (25s) - 8,8,5
Pull Throughs - 400 lbs - 5,5,3
Seated Calfs - 110 - 5,5,5
Crunches - 25 lbs - 15,12,11
Deadlifts - 225 lbs - 5,5,5

Friday

I didn't ride the bike in since I was going in at 2pm to get the toenail taken care of. Diet was good although it slipped late but I hit most of the goals. Chin-ups and rows felt really strong. The chin-ups were especially great since I'm now using 100% ROM and I'm beyond my bodyweight. I was running late for work so I skipped scaptions and due to the toenail I did my push-ups on one-leg. Here are the numbers.

Chin-ups - 10 lbs - 5,5,5
Rows - 70 lb DBs - 5,5,5
Push-ups (one-legged) - 13,10,10
Scaptions - skipped
Skull Crushers - 30 lb DBs - 5,5,4

Weekend

Diet has been really crappy but I weighed in at 169 this morning so the extra cals through the week really helped.

PatheticJoe
05-18-2008, 09:52 AM
So apparently my desire to update this journal has really waned and once a week updates may be the norm from here on out. So I had surgery on my toe this week so it affected some things. I figure it'll be about 3 weeks before I do lifts that put pressure on my feet. Well here is run down for the week.

Monday

Diet was solid and I did about 15 minutes of stretching. Unfortunately the company cleaning staff were in the gym because they are having a gym open house on Wednesday. As a result I only did to leg exercises then left. Here are the numbers.

Forward Curls - 170 lbs - 5,5,4
Reverse Curls - 125 lbs - 3, dropped to 110 lbs, 5,5

Tuesday

Ok diet day but it was a great workout. I was diappointed I lost 3 reps on bench going from 150 to 155 but the bonus is 155 was my old 1 RM and now I'm doing ~3 sets of 4 so I've definately made some great gains. Dips are also really feeling good. Here are the numbers.

Bench - 155 lbs - 4,4,3
Straight Pulls - 290 lbs - 5,4,4
Curls - 35 lb DBs - 5,5,4
Dips - 15 lbs - 5,5,5
Situps - 20,13,10

Wednesday

Had surgery and sat on my butt the rest of the day. Diet really sucked.

Thursday

I could barely walk still so I skipped the leg workout. Diet sucked again which really ticked me off, I need to regain my focous here.

Friday

Diet was better but still wasn't where it should have been. Workout was good even though I was hobbling around. I did skip pushups because of the toe pressure getting down and all. I guy in the gym was marveling at the fact I was doing rows the 70 lb DBs, I think his expectations are low but it felt good nonetheless. Here are the numbers.

Chin-ups - 15 lbs - 5,5,5
Rows - 70 lb DBs - 5,5,5
Scaptions - 20 lb DBs - 5,5,4
Skull Crushers - 30 lb DBs - 5,5,5

Weekend

Wow I just can't seem to get my diet back on track. I gave in twice to fast food. Monday I'm fixing this for sure. I weighed in at 170 lbs this morning so I picked up a little weight but I'm sure its fat.

PatheticJoe
05-18-2008, 10:06 AM
So this is it I finished one full cycle of my modified version of WBB 1.1. I have to say I'm thrilled with the gains. All my numbers have increased and I'm visbilby larger in every area. Although my gut is huge (it measured in at 36" today). In the end I gained 18 lbs of total body weight, I'd guess maybe 6 or 7 lbs of muscle.

So the plan for this coming week is basically to rest, especially with my bum toe. I'll go in and see where some of my upper body goals are and try to find my new bench 1 RM probably on Thursday. I'll be keeping the diet light so I don't put on too much fat. Then starting on the 26th I'll start my 2nd cycle of my modified WBB 1.1 and back to a full diet. Hopefully by the end of August I'll be over 180 lbs (the heaviest I've ever been) and then I'll start a cutting phase to lose the gut.

PatheticJoe
05-20-2008, 10:47 PM
So Monday was a nice rest and the diet was good. I went in this morning and did about 15 minutes of stretching then tested out my new found strength. Here are the results.

Body Pull-ups - Previously I've never done a full rep, this morning I did 4 full reps. Pretty good with my high BF% and since I actually haven't been doing this exact exercise. 2008 goal is still 10

Body Dips - previous best 2, this morning I did 9 but I didn't feel right so I think there are 2 more reps in me when things are feeling good. Regardless of that what a great pick up. 2008 goal is still 15.

[guy walks out of gym feeling damn good] :strong:

PatheticJoe
05-22-2008, 11:42 PM
So Wednesday was another rest and the diet is staying OK, although I've had a few break downs.

Tonight I went after my bench press 1RM. I started at 175 and I was shocked at how easily I got it up. So much so that I skipped 180 and went straight to 185. The spotter said he helped a tiny at about 3/4 up but I felt I got it up clean, and walked out of the gym feeling like a million bucks. All in all I think that is an amazing pick up to, 30 lbs to my bench press in 4 months. I should easily hit 200 by the end of the year.

So now 3 more days of rest and then cycle 2 of my modified WBB 1.1.