PDA

View Full Version : Cardio Newbie

beachmuscles
01-13-2008, 03:21 PM
Sounds funny, but I've never done cardio other then a random 10 minute warmup here and there. The holidays, and school/work are getting the best of me and I'm not the lean mean 7% I usually am, so I figure cardio can ONLY help. I've always worried cardio would make me shrink (lose muscle). I mainly want to do it to stay lean, and I wouldn't mind the health benefits as my family is known for heart disease.

I've been reading some stickies but still fairly confused.

What's the best machine to use? Treadmill or Elliptical? I don't really get bored, as I usually have my music playing.

How long is a good time?

Can I do it right after I workout? What about my PWO shake window? Isn't it bad to wait so long after I workout to drink it?

What speed should I go?

What should my HR be?

Do I walk/run?

I mainly want to burn fat, and also get some cardiovascular benefits. Thanks and sorry for the questions. My main worry was always the PWO shake timing.

Notorious
01-13-2008, 05:27 PM
IMO if you have access to a track (or if it's warm enough outside), that is always better than a machine (and certainly less boring).

I like doing HIIT over any other forms of cardio. It's fast, not boring, and effective. Usually first thing in the morning. If it's after lifting, you'll probably be too tired to do it. Usually I jog for a few minutes to warm up, then do intervals of 30 sec sprints and 60 sec jogs for 12-15 minutes. Interval times can vary.

If you're really concerned about the PWO shake timing, just don't do cardio after your workouts. Or, why not just have the shake and then do cardio? I would also probably have a shake after something as intense as HIIT.

A good article on cardio: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=90943