PDA

View Full Version : After Wrestling Season Workout

Osifer
01-13-2008, 03:35 PM
I'm 16 years old, male, 5' 4" weigh 120 lbs, and have 7% body fat. Before the season I weighed around 125-130 lbs. Right now I eat about 1000 calories a day, except days before I weigh in I may eat 200-600 calories. Practices are intense 2.5 - 3 hrs.

So, I have a detailed workout & diet plan w/ eating 3000 calories daily that I'm going to start the day after the season ends. **** cutting weight : p. I want to gain as much weight as healthly possible by next year. My question is, could I gain muscle mass directly after the season from the excersize I did durring the season, because I hadnt had a subsequent amount of rest period and because of previous lack of nutrition.

Im also wondering if some of my muscle could have deteriorated during wrestling.

TopCat
01-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Assuming you lift appropriately, yes you can gain once you up your calories above maintenance. You didn't really detail your workouts much so it is hard to very specific.

Also you are without a doubt losing muscle because of the huge calorie deficit you are creating.

schmitty199
01-13-2008, 06:02 PM
I'm 16 years old, male, 5' 4" weigh 120 lbs, and have 7% body fat. Before the season I weighed around 125-130 lbs. Right now I eat about 1000 calories a day, except days before I weigh in I may eat 200-600 calories. Practices are intense 2.5 - 3 hrs.

So, I have a detailed workout & diet plan w/ eating 3000 calories daily that I'm going to start the day after the season ends. **** cutting weight : p. I want to gain as much weight as healthly possible by next year. My question is, could I gain muscle mass directly after the season from the excersize I did durring the season, because I hadnt had a subsequent amount of rest period and because of previous lack of nutrition.

Im also wondering if some of my muscle could have deteriorated during wrestling.

You've definetly lost muscle if your only eating 1000 calories a day. How do you have the energy to go 3 hour practices on 1000 calories?

This is just something ive always wondered, wouldnt you wrestle better if you went up a weight class and just ate normal? It seems to me like not eating anything the day of the meet to get under a weight would offset any advantage you'd get by going down a class.

Osifer
01-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Schmitty, everyone cuts weight in competitive wrestling. If I were not to cut and gain weight then I would be weaker and smaller than the rest of the compition. Trust me I LOVE food, and I hate cutting, but it's one of the only ways to do good in wrestling unless your a compleat stud.

I'm also wondering if not eating very much can stunt growth?

KingJustin
01-15-2008, 02:27 PM
The mindset of cutting weight in high school wrestling is really stupid. I could be a lean 185, slow bulk over a couple years to a ripped 205, and be much stronger than some fat kid that dropped from 275 to 205.

Just eat a **** load of food (ideally healthy food, with lots of protein, healthy fats, vegetables, and occasionally some complex/fiber-rich carbs) and do CrossFit's WODs. They're a really good fit for a high school wrestler and you won't make any errors in program design if you just follow their plan.

http://www.crossfit.com

Train intensely and follow my advice and you will be way ahead of the competition.

Mike G
01-15-2008, 06:09 PM
The mindset of cutting weight in high school wrestling is really stupid. I could be a lean 185, slow bulk over a couple years to a ripped 205, and be much stronger than some fat kid that dropped from 275 to 205.

Just eat a **** load of food (ideally healthy food, with lots of protein, healthy fats, vegetables, and occasionally some complex/fiber-rich carbs) and do CrossFit's WODs. They're a really good fit for a high school wrestler and you won't make any errors in program design if you just follow their plan.

http://www.crossfit.com

Train intensely and follow my advice and you will be way ahead of the competition.

Very good advice. You could add some sport specific work in as well. I'm really curious how you are getting through your practices on a 1000 calorie day, or less. I would expect with the deficit you are creating, you wouldn't have to worry about making weight. Have you added up your calories, or are you guessing? What do you eat on the days you weigh in?

For your original question, once you get your calories back up, you should gain weight (LBM). I'm willing to bet you have also lost some muscle during the season.

shootermcgavin7
01-15-2008, 10:22 PM
Schmitty, everyone cuts weight in competitive wrestling.

Everyone cuts pre-season.

Centuries ago when I was in high-school, weigh-ins were in the morning, most meets were in the evening. So you could kick around ~7 pounds above your weight class, drop water weight the day/night/morning before weigh-in....have your weigh-in, and then actually wrestle 10 lbs heavier.

I understand the rules have been modified (probably for the better); but if you were actually going to wrestle in a different weight class, most wrestlers made the change in the offseason.

So, while "everybody" doesn't cut (in fact, I'd think the opposite was true, just from growing between age 14-18); almost "no one" tried to drop more than one additional weight class after the season started.

Too taxing on strength in too short a time period.

tennwrestler
01-16-2008, 05:38 PM
ya that what i want to do after wrestling season i wieght around 134-137 and 5' 8" and bout 5 1/2 body fat

schmitty199
01-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Schmitty, everyone cuts weight in competitive wrestling. If I were not to cut and gain weight then I would be weaker and smaller than the rest of the compition. Trust me I LOVE food, and I hate cutting, but it's one of the only ways to do good in wrestling unless your a compleat stud.

I'm also wondering if not eating very much can stunt growth?

I realize this, I live in the midwest where wrestling is argueably taken the most seriously of any region in the country. I see friends and classmates not eating breakfast or lunch on all of their meet days, and im of the mindset that this is a disadvantage. In your situation, I would much rather wrestle up 5 measly pounds with a full diet supplying energy then struggling to get under and being weak from not eating anything. If it's the difference between a wrestler either being in the 171 class or 189 then THAT would make sense to do anything to get under the weight. But the difference between 120 and 125? I find it hard to believe your really gaining an advantage there.

Osifer
01-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Yeah, next year that is what I'm going to do. I agree that right now I know that I am weaker than I was before the season ( I also weighed 10 + lbs heavier). Thanks, everyone so far.