PDA

View Full Version : Help starfishing

teenathlete3030
01-14-2008, 08:36 AM
My snatch and clean are both fine, but when I really get up there in weight (heavy for me) my feet fly way out to catch the bar. It doesn't really happen with light weight, only heavy.

My trainer says that it's just the more dominant motor pattern shining through when the body needs everything possible to make the lift. He said it's dangerous because it's possible for the knees to cave in when the feet are so wide out.

Is there anything I can do to fix it. I'm afraid that if I focus on just that one thing, I won't make the lift because it takes a lot concentration and power already. Has anyone had this problem in the past and fixed it?

JHarris
01-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Yeah, I have a lifting partner who has this tendency on the snatch at high weights. What my coach has been doing is making him focus on it a great deal on his lower to medium intensity stuff. The moment he hits a weight that he starts splitting out for, he is made to go back down and stay at that weight. In doing so, he has increased his lifts without the splitting by 15kg.. and he is getting close to his original snatches with the splitting.

Its laborious and annoying, but your trainer is right; you need to break the habit.

teenathlete3030
01-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured it was something that would need to be worked on with lower weights. I test clean this week, and then next week the program starts over again, with really low intensity. I will have a lot of time to work on it.

schmitty199
01-14-2008, 11:22 AM
My snatch and clean are both fine, but when I really get up there in weight (heavy for me) my feet fly way out to catch the bar. It doesn't really happen with light weight, only heavy.

My trainer says that it's just the more dominant motor pattern shining through when the body needs everything possible to make the lift. He said it's dangerous because it's possible for the knees to cave in when the feet are so wide out.

Is there anything I can do to fix it. I'm afraid that if I focus on just that one thing, I won't make the lift because it takes a lot concentration and power already. Has anyone had this problem in the past and fixed it?

I do that on power cleans when using heavy weight. Im pretty sure theres times if I didnt I wouldnt be able to get the weight. I probably need some serious form work though.

I see lots of other people doing the same thing when doing heavy weights, seems to be a common thing.

Sleepy Guy
01-14-2008, 12:02 PM
I would say practice and practice and practice. In time you will prefect your form. Also a good idea to have some one watch you.