PDA

View Full Version : How long between meets?

90kg_pwrlftr
01-16-2008, 06:33 AM
How long do you typically plan for between meets?

I have only competed a few times and the closest time between was 3 months.

However, after the ASC this year there is another meet in OH that I was thinking about doing but its less than 4 weeks later!

Is that too soon to prep for another meet?

drew
01-16-2008, 06:48 AM
It's really up to you. Some guys only do 1 or 2 a year, some do one every 12-16 weeks. I once did 3 meets over 11 weeks (one full meet, 1 Push/pull and 1 DL only) and did fairly well in two of the three (I got hurt in the full meet).

If you can recover well enough to do the second meet, go for it.

PriestCometh
01-16-2008, 12:28 PM
I dig doing a full 12 week training cycle. That way it gives you time to heal up from the last meet and gives your CNS enough time to adjust to bigger weights.

James "Priest" Burdette

90kg_pwrlftr
01-16-2008, 12:56 PM
I hear ya. Im not as young as I used to be and I am wondering if these 'older' (well older than many here, not all) bones can take comps 4 weeks apart.
So far my 08 meets are as follows:
Feb Mar Jun Aug Nov(maybe)

Guido
01-16-2008, 02:52 PM
I like at least 8-9 weeks between but prefer at least 12 weeks between meets to get in a full training cycle plus de-load weeks before and after the meet itself.

waynedang
01-16-2008, 06:00 PM
I just try to fit them in around my work schedule. But I wouldnt mind doing one every 3-4 months.

90kg_pwrlftr
01-17-2008, 07:20 AM
I like at least 12 weeks as well. I guess my question is, would I be stupid doing this meet? Its a smaller local meet and I guess I'd feel like I am letting them down by not supporting them. Conflicted I'd say.

waynedang
01-17-2008, 03:35 PM
I say go ahead and do it.

Ryano
01-17-2008, 07:41 PM
I like at least 12 weeks as well. I guess my question is, would I be stupid doing this meet? Its a smaller local meet and I guess I'd feel like I am letting them down by not supporting them. Conflicted I'd say.

Just treat it like an ME bench workout. Instead of hitting heavy trips, just do three heavy singles. I lifted in a small local meet once to just hit my opener before a big meet and support the local gym.

elitepler
01-17-2008, 08:19 PM
or you can just go and adjust shirts, wrap knees, lift off, etc. When NASA comes to Pickwick, TN, I always go and just help out. It's alot of fun, last time I was more worn out than the two guys i was handling, LOL.

Ryano
01-18-2008, 07:36 AM
or you can just go and adjust shirts, wrap knees, lift off, etc. When NASA comes to Pickwick, TN, I always go and just help out. It's alot of fun, last time I was more worn out than the two guys i was handling, LOL.

Ain't that the truth. "Helping out" is definately more tiring than lifting in a meet! Especially if you help more than one lifter.

90kg_pwrlftr
01-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Just treat it like an ME bench workout. Instead of hitting heavy trips, just do three heavy singles. I lifted in a small local meet once to just hit my opener before a big meet and support the local gym.

Never thought of it that way. Cool idea!