PDA

View Full Version : calories in food increase after cooking?

MassAppeal
01-16-2008, 10:35 AM
okay does the calorie increase when you broil,fry(no fat added i use PAM), etc. your food?

ex:
like my tyson chicken drumstick it says on the label its 120 calories.so when i put it in the turbo broiler does the calorie increase or does it stay the same?if so by how much?im not adding anything else to it but Lawry's Seasoned Salt which is 0 calories.

im not just asking about chicken im asking about other food as well.
ty in advance

Slim Schaedle
01-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Is any part of the food being removed either by you or by any other means during the cooking process?

Unreal
01-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Pam and a lot of seasonings are only zero calories because they round down on because of the portion size. Pam is nothing but oil in a spray form. Use enough of it and it will add calories. A serving is something like a .25 second spray. Just like splenda is zero calories but a cup of splenda is really almost 100 cals.

McIrish
01-16-2008, 06:36 PM
Just like splenda is zero calories but a cup of splenda is really almost 100 cals.

I know you're just throwing that out as a comparison,but I just threw up in my mouth thinking about downing a whole cup of splenda.

Invain
01-16-2008, 06:46 PM
How could it increase? You're probably adding a couple miniscule calories from seasonings and such, but as long as you're not cooking in oil or butter than it should be the same. Unless of course, you're cooking magical chicken that increases mass as you cook it.

Slim Schaedle
01-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Well, Geaorge Foreman does have his "fat melting grill" .......

j03
01-16-2008, 07:36 PM

You mean *George* :)

BBB
01-16-2008, 08:10 PM
Unless you cook off and drain fat from what you are cooking, then no, the calories are not affected.

McIrish
01-16-2008, 10:02 PM

I think you're misunderstanding the point of the grill - the slant allows grease to drip into the grease-catcher. This does result in a marked decrease in the fat content of a burger compared to one made in a shallow pan, where you lift the burger up with a spatula and pick up all of the grease it was cooking in at the same time. Just a thought...

Of course, maybe it's a better idea to avoid eating hamburgers entirely, but that's another story altogether. :)

Invain
01-16-2008, 10:07 PM

The op specificially asked if the calories could increase after cooking it. You guys keep talking about losing calories via greese and fat, etc. He's asking about magical meat that gains calories on it's own.

Slim Schaedle
01-16-2008, 11:08 PM
I think you're misunderstanding the point

Do you know what sarcasm is? :)

You guys keep talking about losing calories via greese and fat, etc.

Hmmm, good point.

malkore
01-21-2008, 05:18 PM
perhaps the OP is confused by calorie counting programs (like fitday)...because uncooked meat contains more water content.

meaning, 3oz of uncooked meat contains less protein (and calories) than 3 oz of cooked meat (which implies it was probably 3.5 oz prior to cooking the water out.