PDA

View Full Version : are carbs only for energy

johnnyboy14
01-16-2008, 04:36 PM
are carbs only for energy or do they contribute to the building of muscle

arnoldsclone
01-16-2008, 05:10 PM
are carbs only for energy or do they contribute to the building of muscle

carbs are NEEDED to build muscle, think of it this way, protein is the building blocks for your muscles and cabs are the cement between the bricks.........................................you should eat meals containing a 2 to 1 carb to protein ratio....

Unreal
01-16-2008, 05:23 PM
You can build muscle on a keto diet.

Slim Schaedle
01-16-2008, 05:31 PM
carbs are NEEDED to build muscle, think of it this way, protein is the building blocks for your muscles and cabs are the cement between the bricks.........................................you should eat meals containing a 2 to 1 carb to protein ratio....

As Unreal said, carbs are not necessary for anabolism.

Easier? Perhaps.

Where did the 2:1 ratio thing come from ?

Keith
01-16-2008, 05:32 PM

:scratch:

No. Building muscle can easily be done with low carb diets.

arnoldsclone
01-16-2008, 05:53 PM
:scratch:

No. Building muscle can easily be done with low carb diets.

i thought carbs made it easier to build muscle............better workouts, less catobolism, and i thought your body needed them to build muscle, and the 2 to 1 ratio is what has been preached as a general rule of thumb fo as long as i can remember......

Slim Schaedle
01-16-2008, 05:57 PM
and the 2 to 1 ratio is what has been preached as a general rule of thumb fo as long as i can remember......

By who?

Carbs make it easier, yes. But saying they are "needed" (as you did) is incorrect.

BBB
01-16-2008, 07:11 PM
Carbs help you build muscle insomuch as that they are "protein sparing" - but no, you don't need carbs to build muscle.

arnoldsclone
01-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Carbs help you build muscle insomuch as that they are "protein sparing" - but no, you don't need carbs to build muscle.

makes sense, it definitley makes it all the easier to gain though....

Unreal
01-17-2008, 11:10 AM
Calories make it easier to gain, carbs have calories. Therefore carbs make it easier to gain. Same thing with fat and protein.