PDA

View Full Version : How many peple on here actually count calories everyday?

Blade55
01-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Be honest. Even with FitDay, I've never been able to stick with calorie counting for more than a day. I'm curious how many actually do this day in a day out.

getfit
01-17-2008, 02:55 PM
I don't and never have.

BFGUITAR
01-17-2008, 02:58 PM
I take a rough mental estimate. Takes practice but it works.

Holto
01-17-2008, 03:13 PM
I think everyone should do it for at least a few weeks.

I do if for 2-4 weeks any time I switch up my nutrition plan. Then I just repeat my meals...

Notorious
01-17-2008, 03:29 PM
I estimate everything that doesn't have a label and use a label if there is one.

schmitty199
01-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Be honest. Even with FitDay, I've never been able to stick with calorie counting for more than a day. I'm curious how many actually do this day in a day out.

Ive only done it a couple times just to get an idea of how many calories a normal days eating is for me. Kind of get a mental picture of what a good days eating is, and just wing it from there.

Ta2d
01-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Honestly, I have a pre-set meal plan that I adhere to six days per week. Sometimes I'll switch my protein, fat or carb sources around but I always hit my specified macro's at each of my six meals for any given day. Day seven I follow my specified macro plan but I have a single "all out" no holds barred cheat meal sometime during that day to keep my sanity. It works well for me because if I ever stop making progress, I know what to add in or take out (if its a bulk or a cut) because I eat the same macros every day.

Blade55
01-17-2008, 04:18 PM
I don't and never have.

Wow, you're body is so tight and awesome. So what do you do? Just eat and guess?

So to the people that don't count calories...you just eat and if you're on a bulk you eat until you gain a pound a week?

Runty
01-17-2008, 04:31 PM
A pound or more. First get the purchase the foods you plan on eating. Then eat until your stuffed as hell. Take a few more bites after that. Wait about 2-3 hours and stuff your face again. As long as your macros are in check just stay full as possible all day. Some one on WBB once said "if you get hungry, you lose". That is basically what I've been doing for the last few months and gained 25 lbs since the end of August.

Blade55
01-17-2008, 05:03 PM
How do you do if your macros are in check? What is the proper ratio anyway for your macros if you're on a bulk...fat/protein/carbs?

beaverfootball
01-17-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm on a cut.. and i usually track them towards the beginning of the week, and sort of eat similar things all week so i don't necessarily HAVE to track everyday.

radioheadhead
01-17-2008, 05:11 PM
I track 5-6 days per week when cutting, less often on a bulk.

Invain
01-17-2008, 06:00 PM
I do like BF. I have a decent estimate of how many calories I've consumed thorughout the day. I have lots of general stuff memorized so after a while you get used to knowing about how much you need to eat every day.

VikingWarlord
01-17-2008, 07:10 PM
I used to track very carefully. The result of that is that I have a little database in my head of what's what and so I can usually calculate it to within about 200 cals from what FitDay tells me.

Lately I haven't given a **** and have eaten everything.

WORLD
01-17-2008, 07:15 PM
I can estimate what my calories are for the day.

bjohnso
01-17-2008, 07:52 PM
I made an excel sheet that calculates my calories, protein, fat, and carbs. That makes me the biggest dork on WBB, but it works.

ddegroff
01-17-2008, 08:36 PM
^ I did that, but fitday is so much easier.

I would say M-TR I track pretty careful. The other three days I just eat when Im hungry. I can maintain by guessing easily. If i'm bulking or cuttting I track.

Edit: I'm using it right now.

dpdd
01-17-2008, 08:40 PM
I use the time it would take to calculate calories to eat instead.

Sensei
01-17-2008, 08:59 PM
In my whole life, I have counted daily calories once or twice. Unless my health demands it or I have a serious need to lose weight, I don't see myself ever doing it again.

Blade55
01-17-2008, 09:04 PM
It seems like most of you guys just use the mirror and scale as your calorie counting methods, right?

How do you determine was your macros should be?

Holto
01-18-2008, 11:27 AM
It seems like most of you guys just use the mirror and scale as your calorie counting methods, right?

How do you determine was your macros should be?

Macro's don't really mean anything. Get your 38 essential nutrients and the rest is gravy.

Slim Schaedle
01-18-2008, 11:52 AM
I am treating myself like a science experiment, and still being able to enjoy
life.

Fitday allows me to do both very easily.

So, yes, I count.

ray34iyf
01-18-2008, 12:39 PM
I count and it isn't bad at all. Using fitday is super easy because I just use the custom food option and it takes like 2 minutes and I'm done.

kate
01-18-2008, 02:35 PM
i count but i am a painstaking perfectionist

Blade55
01-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Macro's don't really mean anything. Get your 38 essential nutrients and the rest is gravy.

What would they be?

Sensei
01-18-2008, 08:31 PM

How do you determine was your macros should be?Lord... I didn't even know what the hell anyone was talking about the first time I read "macros" on this forum... macroscopic? macroeconomics? macroculture?... Special dietary needs aside, people really overthink eating.

Blade55
01-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Haha, I still have no idea what they are. I think it's your percentage of protein/fat/carbs?

getfit
01-18-2008, 08:37 PM
Lord... I didn't even know what the hell anyone was talking about the first time I read "macros" on this forum... macroscopic? macroeconomics? macroculture?... Special dietary needs aside, people really overthink eating.

agreed

Big_Byrd52
01-18-2008, 08:42 PM

i did it for a very long time, probably 5 years, everything that went in my mouth. after i while i started laying out a meal plan with what i needed and eating that every day so i didnt have to write it down.

now i can look at just about anything and tell u what the cals carbs pro and fat are. u have to do it for a while to learn it. and there is no other way to learn what ur body needs for optimal response and performance.

by the way, i still eat almost the same thing every day anyways.

Big_Byrd52
01-18-2008, 08:46 PM
by the way, this is where most people go wrong. they have NO idea whats goin down the hatch. when i make them write it down, bulking or dieting, they are shocked at how off the marker they are.

people spend so much time trying to find the perfect workout routine, or that special exercise or program that will take their lifts up... but then dont give any thought to what goes down the hatch. its a waste if u ask me. its a 3 prong stand thats gonna get u to the top--training, nutrition, and recovery. dont neglect the others, they are just as important, if not more so.

Blade55
01-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Heh, it's weird how the people on here with the best physiques are the ones that follow the KISS method. Keep it simple, stupid. While the ones with the average physiques are the ones that obsess over counting calories, macros, etc.

KISS: Eat healthy while trying to gain 1-2 pounds a week on a bulk. Eat healthy while trying to lose a pound a week on a cut. Train hard.

I think a lot of the times when newbies on here join and then give up really soon is because they get overwelmed by the advanced, overthinking advice they get so often on here. I know I was the same way just a couple of weeks ago. So frustrated worrying about things and overthinking because of certain stuff I read on WBB forums.

WORLD
01-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Heh, it's weird how the people on here with the best physiques are the ones that follow the KISS method. Keep it simple, stupid. While the ones with the average physiques are the ones that obsess over counting calories, macros, etc.

KISS: Eat healthy while trying to gain 1-2 pounds a week on a bulk. Eat healthy while trying to lose a pound a week on a cut. Train hard.

I think a lot of the times when newbies on here join and then give up really soon is because they get overwelmed by the advanced, overthinking advice they get so often on here. I know I was the same way just a couple of weeks ago. So frustrated worrying about things and overthinking because of certain stuff I read on WBB forums.

Not true man. There are a lot of people on here that have amazing physiques who track calories, and others who don't. Although your right about newbies overthinking.

RhodeHouse
01-18-2008, 10:07 PM
Read labels. Learn what food have what kinds of fats/carbs/proteins in them. It's not brain surgery. It's eating and paying attention to what happens to your body. Counting is for math teachers and poker players.

Built
01-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Lord... I didn't even know what the hell anyone was talking about the first time I read "macros" on this forum... macroscopic? macroeconomics? macroculture?... Special dietary needs aside, people really overthink eating.

agreed

I'm willing to bet neither of you has been seriously overweight or suffered any diet-related health problems.

I track most of the year. I generally stop when I take time off dieting. I also gain a lot of weight when this happens. Left to my own devices, I'd be morbidly obese inside a year.

getfit
01-19-2008, 05:02 AM
I'm willing to bet neither of you has been seriously overweight or suffered any diet-related health problems.

I track most of the year. I generally stop when I take time off dieting. I also gain a lot of weight when this happens. Left to my own devices, I'd be morbidly obese inside a year.

True.Never had any weight issues.

Big_Byrd52
01-19-2008, 09:35 AM

this is because i am willinjg to bet the ones with best bodies on here have done this at some point and learned what they needed and what has what in it. once they get it down, there is no need refer to the manual every meal, its second nature.

and regardless how great someone looks, if they arent paying that kind of attention to their nutrition, they are only selling themselves short of their potential.

Sensei
01-19-2008, 06:57 PM

Built,
I think we're both very clear on each other's opinion on this. I wasn't trying to start an argument with you which is why I made a point of saying "Special dietary needs aside,...".

Maj. Office Gut
01-21-2008, 10:36 AM
I count calories every day with one day off about every 30 days to cheat. My cheat day usually consists of 2-3 "bad" meals that still stay with in my daily caloric goals. I also try to weigh out everything that I can. I probably would not be so anal about it if I wasn't a former fatty. But in my mind every little bit helps me towards my goals. Even a miscalculation of a few hundred calories a week take away from progress that I have worked very very hard for.

If I had started packing muscle on a lean frame like a lot of people here I would probably eat my ass off and not think twice about it. So I understand that point of view. I just fear it would be counter productive given my goals.

Fuzzy
01-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Did it religiously for about a month but now I now what food has what and so I don't bother anymore.

Morox
01-21-2008, 10:30 PM
I did it until I was familiar with how many calories were in what I ate. Now, I just guesstimate.

Built
01-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Built,
I think we're both very clear on each other's opinion on this. I wasn't trying to start an argument with you which is why I made a point of saying "Special dietary needs aside,...".

I agree with you Sensei.

That being said, two thirds of Americans are overweight. One third (ie half those who are overweight) are medically obese. (source (http://www.annecollins.com/weight_health/obesity-rate.htm))

Define "special dietary needs". ;)

so_calmaxwell
01-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Everyday.

Its good for you. Just do it. ;P

I even have my own "planner" for it

jamrock
01-22-2008, 10:17 AM
My diet has very few items.. Eggs, Chicken, Tuna, Turkey, Pork, Beef, Broccoli, Romaine Lettuce, Oats, Potato, Sweet Potato, Rice, Black Beans, Bananas, Fish Oil capsules, Various condiments/spices (mostly olive oil, vinegar's and lemon juice).

I have a list on the fridge with my typical serving sizes (when I rotate my carbs/protein). So I know how much oats or potato, or rice, or rice w/ beans, etc..to use in a meal.. But it's all predetermined a week or two in advance...sometimes on the fly.

When I feel I over did it because of my choices, I just take a few minutes on the treadmill...or cut out the late night cottage cheese..

Sensei
01-22-2008, 02:54 PM
I agree with you Sensei.

That being said, two thirds of Americans are overweight. One third (ie half those who are overweight) are medically obese. (source (http://www.annecollins.com/weight_health/obesity-rate.htm))

Define "special dietary needs". ;)"seriously overweight or suffering any diet-related health problems". ;) btw, I'm obese according to BMI measures.

ArchAngel777
01-22-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm with Built. Those who battle the scale have to watch what they intake... If I do not watch what I am eating, I gain weight very rapidly, it is just natural. I have to track to keep myself in check.

Built
01-23-2008, 12:09 AM
Sensei, you fatty!

For the record, if you can make it work without tracking, you should.

Many of us can't. When you get tired of mucking around and you just want it to WORK, you track. There are worse things, I mean it takes me all of three minutes to plan my day.

BBB
01-23-2008, 09:40 AM
I track and weight every day, just like I brush my teeth, and it takes about as long.

caseymajor
01-23-2008, 10:27 AM
When I first started out reading about bodybuilding I started writing everything out and counting cals, pro,fats,carbs but now every meal i eat is about the same so i don't write everything down now. Once you get the hang of it, it will come as easy as 1,2,3. But when I am bulking I just count my cals still and fats, because i always get enough protein.