PDA

View Full Version : tuna/pineapple diet question

PelleK
01-17-2008, 07:45 PM
Hi guys, i've recently become very poor, and i cant afford luxuries like milk anymore. (lol) anyway, i was thinking, if my diet is only hermetic tuna and pineapples (like 10 boxes of tuna each day, and say 5 boxes of pineapples), multis, and fish oils, would this be unhealthy?

I'd like to do this, cuz it's the cheapest way for me to get good proteins and cals. (If this is a stupid diet, any suggestions? I'm realy poor lol) Thanks :)

edit: i found this on wikipedia: Pineapple contains a proteolytic enzyme bromelain, which digests food by breaking down protein. Pineapple is a good source of manganese (91 %DV in a 1 cup serving), as well as containing significant amounts of Vitamin C (94 %DV in a 1 cup serving) and Vitamin B1 (8 %DV in a 1 cup serving).[3]

breaking down protein.. I dont understand lol.

Mad Martigan
01-18-2008, 02:29 AM
Normally I wouldn't be one to sweat some trace mercury, but eating canned tuna all day, every day. . .

PelleK
01-18-2008, 04:14 AM
Is what u are saying that I would get too much mercury from this diet?

Mad Martigan
01-18-2008, 04:30 AM
Yes, that would be my concern. I'm saying that that kind of volume would concern me enough to ask someone who knew more than I do about it.

Unreal
01-18-2008, 07:33 AM
And the lack of fiber, green veggies, and fat.

JDaws
01-18-2008, 08:21 AM
If you can afford it...buy oats and olive oil to round off the diet a little bit...but as for too much mercury...I hear SkipJack has been known to have lower levels of mercury than Albacore...so you might as well buy that if your not already.

PelleK
01-18-2008, 03:19 PM
okay, thanks, im from Norway, dont know the mercury levels in our tuna o.O

Guido
01-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Hi guys, i've recently become very poor, and i cant afford luxuries like milk anymore. (lol) anyway, i was thinking, if my diet is only hermetic tuna and pineapples (like 10 boxes of tuna each day, and say 5 boxes of pineapples), multis, and fish oils, would this be unhealthy?In the very short term? Not really. In the long term, yes. You're body needs more variety of foods than that. Not only would you get sick of those foods really fast, but even with the multi-vitamin, you'd be lacking some nutrients, especially certain trace metals, polyphenols, fiber, and certain amino acids.

I'd reassess your strategy some. There has to be other ways to get sufficient protein and nutrients on the cheap.

PelleK
01-18-2008, 07:11 PM
allright :\
Thanks alot for the effort and help tho :)

Big_Byrd52
01-18-2008, 07:57 PM
Hi guys, i've recently become very poor, and i cant afford luxuries like milk anymore. (lol) anyway, i was thinking, if my diet is only hermetic tuna and pineapples (like 10 boxes of tuna each day, and say 5 boxes of pineapples), multis, and fish oils, would this be unhealthy?

I'd like to do this, cuz it's the cheapest way for me to get good proteins and cals. (If this is a stupid diet, any suggestions? I'm realy poor lol) Thanks :)

edit: i found this on wikipedia: Pineapple contains a proteolytic enzyme bromelain, which digests food by breaking down protein. Pineapple is a good source of manganese (91 %DV in a 1 cup serving), as well as containing significant amounts of Vitamin C (94 %DV in a 1 cup serving) and Vitamin B1 (8 %DV in a 1 cup serving).[3]

breaking down protein.. I dont understand lol.

man i understand the no money deal, but this is not smart at all. all that tuna will drive ur cholesterol levels thru the roof! plus as someone else said, too much mercury. i know cause i ate alot of tuna in the marines.

there is alot of cheap food u can buy to get the job done man. u cant tell me that oats and rice cost more than pinapples? fresh fruit is expensive! here, let me list off a grocery list of extremely cheap foods to get u by.

of course tuna
powdered milk
rice
beans --rice and beans together make a complete protein
hamburger meat
raman noodles
pasta
bread
peanut butter--- with PB makes a complete protein
spam
olive oil
those burritos that come in a pack

Guido
01-20-2008, 02:43 PM
^ I would stay away from the Raman (tons of sodium) and the bread in any major quantities. Most bread is processed and has loads of bad carbs. If you eat pasta go with whole wheat pasta if possible.

Big_Byrd52
01-20-2008, 08:50 PM
ur talking to someone was going to eat nothing but tuna and pinnapples. yes it has sodium, but if u eat sodium ur body learns to process it just like anything else. its when u avoid sodium then reintoduce it like that where it blows up. drink ur water and u should be fine. im not telling u to eat them every meal... tho when i was in the marines and broke as hell, i ate tuna and raman noodles twice a day and tuna with an orange twice, and 2 gainer shakes. not the best, but i made it work.

also eggs man, cant really get much better quality for the price.

whiteman90909
01-21-2008, 10:18 AM
okay, thanks, im from Norway, dont know the mercury levels in our tuna o.O

I think Norwegian Tuna eats fish just like any other...

Besides, it's all made in China anyway.

whiteman90909
01-21-2008, 10:19 AM
^ I would stay away from the Raman (tons of sodium) and the bread in any major quantities. Most bread is processed and has loads of bad carbs. If you eat pasta go with whole wheat pasta if possible.

Ramen can be good if you cook it without the seasoning and drain it... or you can cook it in chicken broth (canned, I think it's cheap)... you could even cook it plain then add some tuna and mayo...

Slim Schaedle
01-21-2008, 10:24 AM
all that tuna will drive ur cholesterol levels thru the roof!

I'm not sure I understand this part (?)

Mad Martigan
01-21-2008, 02:56 PM

You don't have to use the entire elephant killing package of flavoring they provide.

jamrock
01-22-2008, 10:30 AM
The bad part of Ramen is the oil, the noodles are fried and dehydrated. The condiment pack is jacked in sodium, but like it has been said.. 3-5g of sodium a day is good for you, and drinking plenty of water keeps it manageable.

Oats, Rice, Black/Red Beans, Frozen Brocoli/Mixed Veggies, Peanut Butter (i found peterpan on sale for 1.00 for the medium jar, not natty but it will do for you). Meats you can find on sale if you're up on things, and a bit of fat isn't a big deal. Grill the meat.

For 12 bucks I can buy a slab of pork that lets me make 12 thick boneless pork chops. I think off memory that 2 chops is half a pound or a little over. I can also find frozen turkeys for cheap this time of year. Breasts with bone/skin are like .90 cents at a local meat place. I look for deals on canned chicken/tuna.. Spam is an acquired taste, but it works and is cheap.

My wife and kids eat what I eat for their primary meals, they have other **** for lunch and breakfast (or rather a few extra items). I feel 2 adults and 2 kids for about 200 bucks bi weekly..

I used to spend 350 bi weekly, but I dropped a lot of items from the fancy grocery store because their selection was limited - their semi-expensive brand or the really expensive brand.. At the smaller stores you have more variety and a better price to chose from.

oats, powdered milk, rice..canned veggies, beans, tuna, chicken..meats on sale..powders on sale.. you can do it..

kique
01-25-2008, 07:55 AM
ide say get some eggs, peanut butter,tuna, and some chicken. multivitamin and some salad. that shouldnt cost a fortune to maintain.

Big_Byrd52
01-25-2008, 08:27 AM
theres also powedered eggs.

as for the cholesterol-- when i was eating 8-10 cans a day when i was in the marines, my chol shot thru the roof. when i went to EAS (discharged) they almost would let me go till my chol came back in check! never had any problems before or since... could be coincidence, im too lazy to do an actual search on it tho-- BFguitar is wearin me out over my waxi maize research! haha

FREAKZILLA
01-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Dude, I think Costco sells a huge bag of mixed veggies for cheap, like 5 bucks I think. Frozen Veggies are a good alternative to fresh veggies. You'll still get plenty of finber and micronutrients.

Also, Raplhs sells bags of Koger chicken breasts for 5 bucks. There frozen solid, and not as great as fosters, but sometimes when you have to pinch on the funds, a good ol' bag will do the trick.

PelleK
02-01-2008, 06:29 AM
Wow, lots of replies here, cheers guys. After I get home from the gym today I'll make a new diet containing some milk, oats, pb, olive oil and eggs. I checked it out and it's not that expensive when u buy it in a bulk. Milk is kinda expensive, but i'll just manage, cuz i love milk. I'll post my new diet later today. Thanks

PelleK
02-03-2008, 12:44 PM
This diet has 1,5g of proteine and 1g of carbs pr lbs of my bodyweight. I didn't know how much fat I needed so I just went with something that was convenient.

Whole day nutrition facts: 2900 Calories, 280g of proteine, 160g of carbs and 88g of fat.

This is split in 7 meals. With breakfast I also drink aloe vera as a multivitamin and amino acid source, and down some fish oil capsules.

1. Blender Breakfast: Oats, eggwhites, milk. (775 Calories, 69g of proteine, 88g of carbs, 12,5g of fat)

2. At work: Canned pineapple, canned tuna. (229 Calories, 40,4g of proteine, 11,6g of carbs, 1,2g of fat)

3. Same as above

4. Dinner, a lame combo of vegs and meat. (Calculated to be something around 500 cals, 30g of proteine, 10g of fat and 10g of carbs.)

5. PB and Milk in the blender. (762 Calories, 39g of proteine, 27g of carbs, 56g of fat)

6. Before sleep: 17 oz of milk. (230 Calories, 7,5g of fat, 2,3 g of carbs, 16g of proteine

7. Wheyshake. The seventh meal. I'd take it anytime a day normally, but on mondays, wednesdays and fridays I'll take it post-workout. ( 220 Calories, 48g of proteine)

Okay, so 2900 Calories seems a little much to be a cut. I've been between 4500 and 5500 on my bulk, and added on like 30 lbs in 6 months. Any opinions on this? I weight about 187 lbs, and I'm 6 feet tall. Also, how's the nutrition? Am I missing anything?

Big_Byrd52
02-04-2008, 11:49 AM
This diet has 1,5g of proteine and 1g of carbs pr lbs of my bodyweight. I didn't know how much fat I needed so I just went with something that was convenient.

Whole day nutrition facts: 2900 Calories, 280g of proteine, 160g of carbs and 88g of fat.

This is split in 7 meals. With breakfast I also drink aloe vera as a multivitamin and amino acid source, and down some fish oil capsules.

1. Blender Breakfast: Oats, eggwhites, milk. (775 Calories, 69g of proteine, 88g of carbs, 12,5g of fat)

2. At work: Canned pineapple, canned tuna. (229 Calories, 40,4g of proteine, 11,6g of carbs, 1,2g of fat)

3. Same as above

4. Dinner, a lame combo of vegs and meat. (Calculated to be something around 500 cals, 30g of proteine, 10g of fat and 10g of carbs.)

5. PB and Milk in the blender. (762 Calories, 39g of proteine, 27g of carbs, 56g of fat)

6. Before sleep: 17 oz of milk. (230 Calories, 7,5g of fat, 2,3 g of carbs, 16g of proteine

7. Wheyshake. The seventh meal. I'd take it anytime a day normally, but on mondays, wednesdays and fridays I'll take it post-workout. ( 220 Calories, 48g of proteine)

Okay, so 2900 Calories seems a little much to be a cut. I've been between 4500 and 5500 on my bulk, and added on like 30 lbs in 6 months. Any opinions on this? I weight about 187 lbs, and I'm 6 feet tall. Also, how's the nutrition? Am I missing anything?

Ok, if u are hurting for money, use the whole egg. dont waste the yolk. there 3-4 g of protein in there.

put ur PB on some whole grain or wheat bread for a complete protein source and some extra cals.

dont have time to look real close, but carbs are going to be cheaper than protein.

2900, depending on how active u are, and ur metab is a decent start. its hard to say without knowing u. good starting point for most is 15X lean weight. everyone varies tho.

PelleK
02-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Okay, thanks alot big_byrd :) I'll try this and mix in some cardio, and await the results.