PDA

View Full Version : Cholesterol issue

SteveL
01-18-2008, 11:28 PM
If somebody has high cholesterol or has the tendency to get high cholesterol how is dieting going to work? I'm talking in the sense of eating for mass. The foods we eat for Calories, carbs and protein tend to have high amounts of cholesterol(eggs, whey protein, meats, etc..). What kind of foods should a person stick by when trying to avoid high cholesterol but still trying to maintain almost 3000 calories a day with high amounts of protein and carbs? same with people who have diabetes or pre-diabetics?

Built
01-18-2008, 11:31 PM
I've had high cholesterol and I've been prediabetic. Both have been very well controlled by keeping protein and fat high and carbs (generally) low.

Eggs, steak, all fine. No problems.

PatheticJoe
01-19-2008, 12:29 PM
I had moderate cholesterol issues and the big thing for me was adding oats, good fats, and getting rid of almost all the junk food and bad fast food. I also lost about 20 lbs of excess fat (I've lost more now but that was where I was when I got tested). I put my improvements below, nothing earth shattering but I was very happy that just dieting and exercise made a difference.

old new
Total 208 188
Trigly. 243 97
HDL 32 41
LDL 127 128

Of course the frustrating thing about this is several people at work with cholesterol problems (>250 tot) have gone on Lipitor or one of the others and within 3-4 weeks have 130 total cholesterol because so much of their cholesterol is produced instead of from the diet. I'm not big on taking drugs so this will be a last resort for me if things get worse.