PDA

View Full Version : What the heck are net carbs?

teenathlete3030
01-19-2008, 07:22 PM
I got a bunch of Atkins Advantage protein bars because they were cheap.

They have 11g fat, 19 protein, and 22 carbs (10 of which are fiber)

You would think that it means you only count 12 carbs towards what your body absorbes for energy, right? So then why does the bar say 2 net carbs!? What am I missing?

Would it be something to use as a protein and fat meal, or P+F+C?

I know there's a bunch of stuff written about GI and I really don't understand it that much, but I think net carbs might have something to do with it. Or vice versa.

teenathlete3030
01-19-2008, 08:01 PM
How relevant is the GI for athletes?
The GI can be a useful tool to help athletes select the right type of carbohydrates to consume both before and after exercise. Studies have consistently reported that a low GI pre-exercise meal results in a better maintenance of blood glucose concentrations during exercise and a higher rate of fat oxidation. This is likely to result in reduced muscle glycogen utilisation during prolonged exercise and possibly improve endurance performance. Eating high GI meals before exercise may result in plasma glucose concentrations peaking before the onset of exercise and then hypoglycemia occurring within the first 30 minutes of the exercise period. There is little data available on the effect of the GI of carbohydrates eaten before intermittent, power or strength related sports.

During recovery from exercise, muscle glycogen resynthesis is of high metabolic priority. The eating of high GI carbohydrates after exercise increases plasma glucose and insulin concentrations and this facilitates muscle glycogen resynthesis. If however, you are exercising for weight loss purposes or are involved in weight restricted sports, low GI carbohydrates after exercise may be more beneficial as the lower glucose and insulin concentrations will not suppress fat.

Does this bacically mean high GI after working out but low GI all other times? Btw, I'm trying to lean out right now (even though I'm light by most standards) for both track and spring break in Mexico. :nod:

And I'm assuming that the bars are low GI because they are low net carbs?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

VikingWarlord
01-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Ignore GI. It has precisely dick to do with anything once you start mixing foods. Net carbs are just that. Most of those things don't count sugar alcohols or other artificial sweeteners (aspartame, sucralose, sorbitol, xylitol, etc). They're in there, but they don't count against carb counts for Atkins followers.

The short version: it doesn't matter. Stop thinking about it.