PDA

View Full Version : Squat Stance in PLUSA magazine

PatheticJoe
01-20-2008, 12:20 AM
So the guys at At Large were nice enough to throw a copy of Powerlifting USA in with my first order. As I flipped through it I was stunned to see all these guys with enormously wide squat stances. Is that just a powerlifting thing or should beginning bodybuilders be using that wide a stance as well? It also seems really hard to get deep into the squat that wide but maybe that is the point.

Was also glad to see a huge pro doing sumo deads in one pic. I've recently fallen in love with these and it felt good to see a pro doing them.

garjagan
01-20-2008, 06:47 AM
The wider stance creates better leverage, allowing heavier loads to be squatted. It keeps the hips and glutes tight. I think it puts you in a position to utilise the strongest squatting muscles, glutes, hams and lower back.

But the quads arent used very much. I'm doing close stance squats and unilateral movements (like weighted step ups) at the moment to try and strengthen my quads.

The wide stance squat will obviously build a lot of muscle, but I can't really see bodybuilders getting too excited about doing them. I'd say there are probably more efficient ways of getting the legs to look good and ripped in the aesthetically orientated bodybuilder fashion.

RickTheDestroyer
01-20-2008, 08:51 AM
It also seems really hard to get deep into the squat that wide but maybe that is the point.
Bingo. Parallel (or close enough to please the judges) is deep enough.

Stumprrp
01-20-2008, 03:19 PM
the wide stance is something to get used too, there have been strong squatters back in the USPF with fairly close stances such as ed coan and kirk karworski who IMO were the 2 strongest squatters ever in powerlifting, both over a 1000 in single ply, close stance, WELL below parallel.

PatheticJoe
01-20-2008, 04:54 PM
both over a 1000 in single ply, close stance, WELL below parallel.

Damn that's insane. I don't even think I can dream that heavy.

Thanks for the other replies, seems the powerlifters have chosen the form that works well for their discipline.

Chris Rodgers
01-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Wide is where it's at. Lifters who have the potential to lift more with a narrow stance are the minority.