PDA

View Full Version : Shoes Shoes Shoes

90kg_pwrlftr
01-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Please forgive me if this has been posted before (hint: I did use the search function and didnt see it)

What type of shoes do you train or compete in? For training I have been using an old pair of Nikes. I like the raised heel and they are comfortable. For competing I have a pair of low cut CTs. I theorize that the thicker soled Nikes add about 1cm so it should be easier to pull in CTs. Thoughts?

Also, hi-tops vs standard cut. Preferences?

Ben Moore
01-21-2008, 12:38 PM
I squat in high top chucks, deadlift in wrestling shoes, and bench in running shoes.

When we get into Strongman, then there are about 4 other pairs we could talk about, LOL.

minotaur70
01-21-2008, 03:58 PM
squat and bench in adidas weightlifting shoes, dead in deadlift slippers

I train in chucks, but put on the adidas shoes for any heavy squatting.

deeder
01-21-2008, 04:13 PM
Squat and bench in olympic weightlifting shoes and deadlift in high top chucks. I really should get a pair of deadlift slippers though...

Detard
01-21-2008, 04:39 PM
High top chucks all around.

Bohizzle
01-21-2008, 05:16 PM
Werksan weightlifting shoes for everythign.

Lones Green
01-21-2008, 05:34 PM

:withstupi:

Keith
01-21-2008, 06:04 PM

:withstupi:

live2lift
01-22-2008, 12:47 AM
I deadlift and squat in wrestling shoes and bench in running shoes.

garjagan
01-22-2008, 02:51 AM
adidas hi-top wrestling shoes throughout.

nddillon
01-22-2008, 11:52 AM
WalMart generic Chucks...the box called the style Jack T.
lol

Keith
01-22-2008, 11:56 AM
WalMart generic Chucks...the box called the style Jack T.
lol

I went there first before buying real Chucks but they weren't 'in-season' so they wouldn't have any like that until next summer.

90kg_pwrlftr
01-22-2008, 12:05 PM
I have low cut chucks but I think I might just go get some high-tops before squats on Wednesday. I've never worn HT before, do you find alot of additional support or is more psychological?

drew
01-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Chucks for squatting and pulling (or barefoot) and nike waffle-trainers for benching.

CiteCollegiale
01-22-2008, 04:30 PM
I squat in high top chucks, deadlift in wrestling shoes, and bench in running shoes.

I deadlift and squat in wrestling shoes and bench in running shoes.

adidas hi-top wrestling shoes throughout.

What's the reason for deadlifting in wrestling shoes? The hard sole probably makes it better than cross-trainers but that 1 inch heel must make it alot harder than chucks.

Detard
01-22-2008, 05:06 PM
1 inch heel? Theyre talking about these:

http://www.coaches-choice.com/usrimage/tyrintiii_2562188.jpg

not these:

http://static.zoovy.com/img/motorcowboy/-/N/nacholibre2

TommyBoy
01-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Chucks for squatting and pulling and nike waffle-trainers for benching.Same for me.

CiteCollegiale
01-22-2008, 07:39 PM
1 inch heel? Theyre talking about these:

http://www.coaches-choice.com/usrimage/tyrintiii_2562188.jpg

Those are the shoes I'm talking about. I own a pair I use for squatting. I didn't mention that because I squat olympic style and we are in a powerlifting forum.
Anyways, I thought olympic wrestling shoes had a built in heel (maybe not 1 inch) kinda like the adidas adistar weightlifing shoes.

Ben Moore
01-22-2008, 11:56 PM
No, no heel. Use them to eliminate height from the floor while keeping good footing.

live2lift
01-23-2008, 02:28 AM
I cant speak for anyone elses wrestling shoes but I own a pair of Nike hightop wrestling shoes and there might be 1/4" of padding between my foot and the ground. Same height from heel to toe. Heck my Nike running shoes barely have a full inch on them.

Gotta admit...the pic of the giant red wrestling shoe did make me LOL!! If I saw someone in the gym in a pair of those I dont think I'd be able to hold it in.

Fuzzy
01-23-2008, 05:11 AM
http://www.sugarrays.co.uk/shop/files/d_3159.jpg

The deep squatter's best friend.

SGT ROCK
01-24-2008, 02:09 PM
Squat: INZER SQUAT SHOES....none better

Bench: High Top Sneakers, my choice? Jordans 25th Anniversary addition

DL: Wrestling shoes

Semper Fi

90kg_pwrlftr
01-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Squat: INZER SQUAT SHOES....none better

Bench: High Top Sneakers, my choice? Jordans 25th Anniversary addition

DL: Wrestling shoes

Semper Fi

Anyone been able to find the Inzer shoes for <$100? I saw the wal-mart version of Chuckie T's for $15 but they didnt look very supportive.

conroy1011
01-24-2008, 05:01 PM
I own a pair of those blue adidas wrestling shoes to! and let me tell you, the're great for their original purpose to, very comfortable and sticky bottom

motoko013
01-24-2008, 05:51 PM

would you use these shoes to deadlift and bench also? why would it be a good or bad idea for all around lifting?

Hatred
01-24-2008, 06:43 PM
Deadlifting I don't know about.
the raised heel would make the lockout more difficult I'd think.

Bohizzle
01-24-2008, 08:07 PM
I like mine for deadlifting as well. But that's just how I pull, seems to work for me.

I also use mine for benching, allows me to get my legs under me more while still having a larger base to drive off of. So I'm actually benching heels up, but because of the shoes, my heels are down.

Andrew

majorBRAWNtres
01-25-2008, 11:52 AM
how important is the shoe choice? i have only used basketball shoes a few times but mostly just my old nikes. also when do you use the wrestling shoes ie training and always or just maxing and competitions.

ACaslow
01-25-2008, 11:20 PM
I started using boxing shoes, before i started powerlifting i was a boxer, so I had a bunch of them lying around... tried chucks since it was the "in" thing to do and boxing shoes easily takes it there.... they are stiffer, have a much more grip feel on the floor and really help keep that ankle foot combo locked in hard.

killxswitch
01-28-2008, 11:26 AM
(I started my own thread on this, woops. Time to go delete.)

I've never given much thought to what shoes I wear while lifting, but I have an old pair of chucks somewhere, so I can start using those. But, are they alright for other lifts as well? I mean, do you guys really switch shoes 2 and 3 times per workout?

Notorious
01-28-2008, 05:40 PM
Just got some Walmart brand high top chucks and used them for the first time for squatting today. I have to say, I felt a HUGE difference in my squat. Much more comfortable, and I had no problem with going ATG or knees caving in (before I was using some old basketball shoes).

Rock Steady
02-13-2008, 11:05 AM
:bump:

I thought this was a good thread that didn't really run its course.

A few questions still are out there:
-Are high-tops really needed?
-Do you change your shoes during a workout?
-More general input on which shoes you wear for each movement

Personally, this is where I'm planning to go:
-Raised heel shoes for Olympic squat/leg day
-Wrestling shoes for deadlift/upper body work
-Low top chucks for Power squat/leg day

90kg_pwrlftr
02-13-2008, 11:29 AM
:bump:

I thought this was a good thread that didn't really run its course.

A few questions still are out there:
-Are high-tops really needed?
-Do you change your shoes during a workout?
-More general input on which shoes you wear for each movement

I like high-tops for squatting because I can push my feet out on the descent without fear of rolling over.

I do change shoes during work outs. From deads to squats I am now using different shoes.

I am now using chucks for squats, wrestling shoes for deads and gym shoes (Nikes) for bench.

pulse
02-13-2008, 04:34 PM
I never figured different shoes would make that much of a difference. Lets just say I have just been wearing my normal everyday etnies skate shoes. If I just went out and got a cheap pair of the high top chucks would you think I would notice any type of difference? And would you recommend them just for squats, deads? Or just squats...

Ben Moore
02-13-2008, 05:07 PM
I never figured different shoes would make that much of a difference. Lets just say I have just been wearing my normal everyday etnies skate shoes. If I just went out and got a cheap pair of the high top chucks would you think I would notice any type of difference? And would you recommend them just for squats, deads? Or just squats...

Good to see a fellow Kansas Citian on here. Chucks are a great shoe for squatting and deadlifting, but I prefer wrestling shoes personally to pull in.

Rock Steady
02-14-2008, 09:15 AM
http://www.zappos.com/n/multi_view.cgi?product_id=7375288&color_id=2294&view=multi&ref=multi-pic

I'm waiting on those to arrive. I think they're just ugly enough to work. I don't feel that I need to extra support of high-tops.

Brad263
02-14-2008, 10:10 AM
I just got a pair of Chuck Taylor Walmart knockoffs last week. They were like $13 but wear like a pair of $13 shoes. I gotta double up on socks and unlace half of it to get my foot in.
Does it take a while to get used to them? Because I had to drop weight when I used them for the first time because I had a hard time balancing and the weight just felt heavier. I am using them for the second time tonight so hopefully its better.

Fuzzy
02-15-2008, 04:41 AM

Just quoting myself.

its taken a month but I can finally comfortably deep squat barefooted or in chucks.

Lots of massage and rolling on my achilles and calf but wih the heel added the deep squat has reach a new level of comfort for me.

Im know watching TV for an hour or so sitting in a squat no problem.

90kg_pwrlftr
02-15-2008, 06:01 AM
I just got a pair of Chuck Taylor Walmart knockoffs last week. They were like $13 but wear like a pair of $13 shoes. I gotta double up on socks and unlace half of it to get my foot in.
Does it take a while to get used to them? Because I had to drop weight when I used them for the first time because I had a hard time balancing and the weight just felt heavier. I am using them for the second time tonight so hopefully its better.

I have noticed that the knockoffs are too narrow for my foot. Maybe thats the same issue you are having.

btw the shoes should be tight! you dont want your foot sliding around in the shoe with 500+ on your back!

One question, if the shoes are hard to get on, why double up on the socks? I'm assuming that because you had to unlace half to get your foot in, means that is is snug.

90kg_pwrlftr
02-15-2008, 06:03 AM
Just quoting myself.

its taken a month but I can finally comfortably deep squat barefooted or in chucks.

Lots of massage and rolling on my achilles and calf but wih the heel added the deep squat has reach a new level of comfort for me.

Im know watching TV for an hour or so sitting in a squat no problem.

Ok Fuzzy, where did you find the Ironworks? Those are Adidas arent they? If I missed this earlier Im sorry.

Fuzzy
02-15-2008, 06:54 AM
Ok Fuzzy, where did you find the Ironworks? Those are Adidas arent they? If I missed this earlier Im sorry.

These are the Adistars. Irnworks works are the older series and the most uncofmrtable shoe ever.

Adidas equips and and adistars are the best.

90kg_pwrlftr
02-15-2008, 07:57 AM
These are the Adistars. Irnworks works are the older series and the most uncofmrtable shoe ever.

Adidas equips and and adistars are the best.

sorry to ask so many questions. do you know what the heel height is? USAPL req cant be higher than 1". Also, is there a wesite that you used to order? Im having trouble finding a dealer using google.

Runty
02-24-2008, 07:15 PM
So after reading as much about shoes I could find I've decided to go ahead and buy some raised heel shoes for squatting. Have a few more questions for the people who wear/have worn them.

1) Is there much of a difference between the Ironworks and the AdidaStars besides the 50$ or so in price. Only thing I could imagine is the AdidaStars seem to have better straps.

2) Is the front portion of the shoe bottom flexible while you walk? It seems like the Adidas shoes are a bit thinner in front so it might be. Looking at the DoWins, they almost look like the whole bottom is one solid piece.

3) I'm still confused about whether to order same size or a 1/2 size up/down. It's looking like I'm probably going to get one of the adidas styles and wear a size 10.5 usually. From what I've read it seems like getting a 10 is the way to go, just to make sure they're real snug.

Appreciate the responses and hopefully this will help me get into Oly lifting a bit more.

powerlifter550
02-24-2008, 08:08 PM
I love training in wrestling shoes

Fuzzy
02-25-2008, 12:58 AM
So after reading as much about shoes I could find I've decided to go ahead and buy some raised heel shoes for squatting. Have a few more questions for the people who wear/have worn them.

1) Is there much of a difference between the Ironworks and the AdidaStars besides the 50$ or so in price. Only thing I could imagine is the AdidaStars seem to have better straps.

2) Is the front portion of the shoe bottom flexible while you walk? It seems like the Adidas shoes are a bit thinner in front so it might be. Looking at the DoWins, they almost look like the whole bottom is one solid piece.

3) I'm still confused about whether to order same size or a 1/2 size up/down. It's looking like I'm probably going to get one of the adidas styles and wear a size 10.5 usually. From what I've read it seems like getting a 10 is the way to go, just to make sure they're real snug.

Appreciate the responses and hopefully this will help me get into Oly lifting a bit more.

1. Some people love the Ironworks, personally I nearly ied the damn shoe was so uncomforable. While the heel does feel a tiny bit more solid with the Adistars (its an Oly thing, hard to explain, the heels are both the same) the Adistar is much more comfortable and better designed.

The old equips were the best shoes, they tried too many new things with the Ironworks but they brought the Adistar back to the Equipment model. Go with the Adistars.

2. Yes they are flexible.... how do you think our back foot n the jerk can have our heel off the floor. The shoes bend fine, but overall they are very solid.

3. I have no idea! I would say you ar ebeter off goig for a bit of toe room. If you are doi g true Oly lifting, especially jerks then it is vital to have a very sung shoe, but purely for squatting? You can afford the toe room.

Final points, tese shoes are designed to make deep squatting heaven, especially the Adistars, I wouldnt worry so much, just get a good fit and you will have a decade of usage out of them.

Good luck.

Runty
02-25-2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks Fuzzy, thats basically what I was thinking style and flexibility wise. Sent an email to the guy at dynamic-eleiko about sizing and hopefully he'll have something to input. Probably going to go with the AdiStars even though they cost an arm and a leg. I'll be taking very good care of them so hopefully I will get a decade out of them.

Fuzzy
02-26-2008, 02:47 AM
Thanks Fuzzy, thats basically what I was thinking style and flexibility wise. Sent an email to the guy at dynamic-eleiko about sizing and hopefully he'll have something to input. Probably going to go with the AdiStars even though they cost an arm and a leg. I'll be taking very good care of them so hopefully I will get a decade out of them.

Just be very careful that the laces do not snag on the velcro, that really frays them up alot, when you put the shoe away cover the entire velcro bit with the straps ad tuck the laces into the shoes.

I learnt the hard way.

Beyond that, the occasional wipe down with a damp cloth and heel and soul inspection will do it.

You are not gonna be slamming your foot as hard as you can into solid boards so I dounbt the heel will crack.

Most super heavies get 2 years max from a shoe simply becase they end up crackin the heel.

PriestCometh
02-26-2008, 12:37 PM
you cant go wrong in chucks

Rock Steady
02-26-2008, 01:14 PM
you cant go wrong in chucks

I've been using them for a couple weeks now and have really enjoyed it, but I would say one weakness is on calf raises. The sole isn't very thick so the platform I do the raises off of digs into my foot a bit more. I'll live.