PDA

View Full Version : How to train with a belt

BFGUITAR
01-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Im curious to know how you guys use belts. Do you lift with it all the time? Only when going for PRs? Only in competition/preparing for competition?

After reading a thread about PL gear this question popped into my head. I assume belts are more standard than suits and such?

deeder
01-21-2008, 01:48 PM
The program I am on right now has me wearing a belt once a week when I put my knee wraps on. My warmups might look like this:
135lbs x 10
225lbs x 5
275lbs x 3 -- add belt on really loose setting
315lbs x 3 -- tighten belt one notch
working sets -- belt is tight.

Wearing a belt adds a lot to my squat and deadlift because I've learned to use it properly. I am a big fan of lighter sets with the belt on loose. This teaches you to push your gut out.

BFGUITAR
01-21-2008, 01:50 PM
What lift is that for? haha

90kg_pwrlftr
01-21-2008, 02:02 PM
I usually add a belt at around 400. I have a lever belt and I love it.

Ben Moore
01-21-2008, 02:06 PM
I usually add mine for the working sets after my warmups. It's a tool and should be treated as such. I hate seeing people wearing them all the time.

RedSpikeyThing
01-21-2008, 02:08 PM
I use mine for max/near max lifts only. If I'm going for a PR I'll use it for my last warmup to get a feel for it.

arnoldsclone
01-21-2008, 02:49 PM
belt= pansy

RedSpikeyThing
01-21-2008, 03:09 PM
belt= pansy

ummmmm......no

deeder
01-21-2008, 03:20 PM
What lift is that for? haha

Squat :ninja: Sorry...

belt= pansy

Umm.. You know you're in the powerlifting section right?

minotaur70
01-21-2008, 03:54 PM
I have found i have to learn to use my belt, pushing against it and stabilising my core. I wear it for bench, squats over 400 and deads over 500. I compete in a belt, so I wear a belt.

arnoldsclone
01-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Squat :ninja: Sorry...

Umm.. You know you're in the powerlifting section right?

oooops :eek: i just don't get the point of the belts and all the shirts and girdles etc. if your own body can't do it, why throw on all the crap to begin with??

Detard
01-21-2008, 04:42 PM
oooops :eek: i just don't get the point of the belts and all the shirts and girdles etc. if your own body can't do it, why throw on all the crap to begin with??

If you dont understand then dont post your opinion...

I usually throw my belt on for for anything 85% and up. Except bench.

JHarris
01-21-2008, 04:47 PM
I never throw a belt on, but I'm not a powerlifter. If you are powerlifting, you are stupid not to throw on whatever gear is allowed in your federation. You'd just be setting yourself up to be less competitive.

So it depends on what you are training for. If its for Olympic lifting, I'd highly recommend not using one. If its for general sports training, I'd still recommend not using one. If you are powerlifting, you are dumb not to use one.

deeder
01-21-2008, 04:48 PM

If you want to argue it start another thread and we can discuss the history of powerlifting gear and how it evolved into what we have today. It's a part of the sport just like cleats are a part of football and skates are a part of hockey.

arnoldsclone
01-21-2008, 05:08 PM
If you want to argue it start another thread and we can discuss the history of powerlifting gear and how it evolved into what we have today. It's a part of the sport just like cleats are a part of football and skates are a part of hockey.

hey I'm not trying to argue OR hijack a thread here....:) I've just always been interested in the belts/gear that people use for powerlifting. If I powerlifted I'd use anything to help, I'm just saying isn't it dangerous to make your body go past its own limits???????

Detard
01-21-2008, 05:09 PM
hey I'm not trying to argue OR hijack a thread here....:) I've just always been interested in the belts/gear that people use for powerlifting. If I powerlifted I'd use anything to help, I'm just saying isn't it dangerous to make your body go past its own limits???????

Thats the whole idea behind supportive gear... To aid you so you dont injure yourself.

jtteg_x
01-21-2008, 05:19 PM

you should go to the Q&A over at EFS and ask them. you may get a sarcastic response, maybe even a honest legit one. http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/

arnoldsclone
01-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Thats the whole idea behind supportive gear... To aid you so you dont injure yourself.

now it all makes sense! so basically does the gear put your joints in the optimium position to exert maximal force or what??

Lones Green
01-21-2008, 05:33 PM

powerlifting is about moving as much weight as possible. end of story. i'm glad to see you're asking questions instead of sticking with the first post you made...

chinaz
01-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Whenever i need it.
( all the time. )

BFGUITAR
01-21-2008, 08:37 PM
One day ill compete which is why im thinking of learning how to use a belt. There was a site you guys gave me with belts for sale im going to check it out again!

Detard
01-21-2008, 09:22 PM
One day ill compete which is why im thinking of learning how to use a belt. There was a site you guys gave me with belts for sale im going to check it out again!

Bryan just go to dotmar (dixie and dundas). Joe will hook you up cheap if you tell him your a friend of mine.

BFGUITAR
01-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Its Ryan BTW :P

Detard
01-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Meh, bryan and ryan. You guys both have the same name lol.

drew
01-23-2008, 05:53 AM
The belt is used as an aid to push your abs out against while lifting weight. It will help you expand and tighten your core which will make your whole body tighter, giving you a more solid base and thus put you in a stronger position to move the most weight.

I use a belt on bench with my shirt only (because I only compete in a shirt). I use it for my heaviest sets on squat and I don't use it for Deads.

majorBRAWNtres
01-25-2008, 12:04 PM
how essential is it to train in a belt? i kno that it helps get the bigger numbers but then wouldnt training without and getting my numbers to go up without it in theory make it easier once i do put it on for maxing out and such.

drew
01-25-2008, 12:43 PM
how essential is it to train in a belt? i kno that it helps get the bigger numbers but then wouldnt training without and getting my numbers to go up without it in theory make it easier once i do put it on for maxing out and such.

It's not essential.

majorBRAWNtres
01-25-2008, 01:02 PM
so would my numbers go up at the same rate regardless of the belt? ie if a max squat w/o a belt is a hundred and i train for a month and get it to 120 would it be the same as if i had a 200 max with a belt and a month later the max is 210. porportionally the same. also that is nowhere near my max haha just easy numbers.

drew
01-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Your max squat would probably increase more with a belt, but if you're main goal is size (as opposed to strength) then it doesn't make a difference.

Hatred
01-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Belts are a nice way to keep from blowing your guts through your abdominal wall/belly button too.

supplementking
01-26-2008, 04:06 PM
I've always thought and been pretty succesful with the old addage, if youre gonna use it in a meet, whether its a shirt, squat suit, wraps or a belt, well than you better damn well be used to it, cause come game day and you put something on that feels different its gonna throw you off.

The one exception to that rule would be chalk, try benching heavy and deadlifting heavy without chalk all through your prep work, than come game day, load up and it makes a huge difference

nhlfan
01-26-2008, 07:57 PM
Belts are a nice way to keep from blowing your guts through your abdominal wall/belly button too.

I know you're joking, but don't belts help increase internal pressure?

BFGUITAR
01-26-2008, 08:20 PM
I know you're joking, but don't belts help increase internal pressure?

Yeh, so you dont blow your guts out :P lol

Wearing a belt seems to have allowed me to push against something with my abs rather than nothing.

I think he meant that since theres nothing to push against without a belt it will all just come out lol.

majorBRAWNtres
01-28-2008, 12:33 AM
i tried it for a regular workout for the first time in a couple years and it really helped and i could move more weight. i will use it every other squat session.

mickyjune26
04-18-2008, 11:15 AM
The belt is used as an aid to push your abs out against while lifting weight. It will help you expand and tighten your core which will make your whole body tighter, giving you a more solid base and thus put you in a stronger position to move the most weight.

I use a belt on bench with my shirt only (because I only compete in a shirt). I use it for my heaviest sets on squat and I don't use it for Deads.

(I know this is an older thread...)

Drew, why don't you use it for deadlifting?

i just bought my first belt, a 10mm thick Inzer lever belt...so will be looking for diff ideas on how to use...

Invain
04-18-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm sure somebody's asked before, but do they allow belts in raw meets? Even though that doesn't seem like complete raw to me, for some reason I want to say they do.

BFGUITAR
04-18-2008, 12:15 PM
I'm sure somebody's asked before, but do they allow belts in raw meets? Even though that doesn't seem like complete raw to me, for some reason I want to say they do.

I always assumed raw=belt and possibly knee wraps?

mickyjune26
04-18-2008, 12:19 PM
yes, raw in most raw meets allows knee wraps and belts.

Chris Rodgers
04-18-2008, 03:01 PM
People argue over and over about it, but I think the majority of people say Raw= belt only. Some feds allow knee wraps in their raw divisions.

mr.strong
04-18-2008, 04:38 PM
I always assumed raw=belt and possibly knee wraps?

WOT ABOUT HAND WRAPS AM NEW TO ALL THIS:confused:

BFGUITAR
04-19-2008, 12:02 PM
WOT ABOUT HAND WRAPS AM NEW TO ALL THIS:confused:

You mean gloves? Or wrist wraps?

samj
04-23-2008, 10:20 AM
no handwraps are not allowed

Revo
04-25-2008, 07:33 AM
Belt help much in bench?

samj
06-27-2008, 04:50 PM
ye i like using a belt in the bench press

biglift
06-27-2008, 09:44 PM
^^ what are some benefits of using a belt while benching?

teerex
06-28-2008, 04:13 AM
i usualy only use them for squats. they anoy me for deadlifts (unless theyre thinner than standard power belts)

samj
06-29-2008, 06:53 AM
well the tighter everything is your base core shoulder blades etc you should be able to press a little more

AJ_H
06-29-2008, 02:24 PM
does anyone else here think that new belts (i.e.belts youve just bought) are better? I find older belts a nuisance because they've lost their shape and don't really help keep your back in position...at least thats the case for me anyway...-

Reko
06-29-2008, 04:10 PM
does anyone else here think that new belts (i.e.belts youve just bought) are better? I find older belts a nuisance because they've lost their shape and don't really help keep your back in position...at least thats the case for me anyway...-

I like belts that are a little worn, as they are more flexible and will conform to my shape better. If they are newer and stiffer, they tend, for me, to move a little bit as I get down for a DL or something, whereas the ones that are more broken in will stay where I need them better. If the old ones are giving you trouble try taking them down one more notch.