PDA

View Full Version : Heels up while benching

CleverName
01-21-2008, 07:07 PM
While benching I try to get my feet behind my knees as far as possible and the best way I can do this is by having the balls of my feet planted against the ground and my heels up with an extreme arch. I can't get my feet behind my knees flat on the floor.

My friend says it'd be illegal in a powerlifting competition, which doesn't bother me too much because I'm not a powerlifter.

But would you folks consider this form "cheating"? I feel I can do so much more and get a lot more leg drive with my form as it is. When I plant my feet square on the floor and get them as far back as possible it hurts the outside of my shins. :confused:

If it's a bad habit then are there any stretches or anything to get the feet behind the knees flat? I'm only 5'4", if that makes a difference. ~:>

Darracq
01-21-2008, 07:14 PM
dont worry about what those dumb a---- say. lots of poeple do that, And it is legal in some feds like APF
I wanted to bench in NASA but you have to bench flat footed and i have the same problem and i cant keep my but on the bench with them flat.

chinaz
01-21-2008, 07:24 PM
wait, heels up in the air?

Rusty
01-21-2008, 07:27 PM
wait, heels up in the air?

He's talking about going up on your toes and driving with the palms of your feet.

Chris Rodgers
01-21-2008, 07:35 PM
If you're not competing, who cares what he thinks?

If you are competing, some feds allow it, some don't. Just check the rulebook of whichever fed you decide to lift in.

chinaz
01-21-2008, 07:39 PM
If you're not competing, who cares what he thinks?

If you are competing, some feds allow it, some don't. Just check the rulebook of whichever fed you decide to lift in.

ya what he said.

If your not competing then it doesn't matter.

CleverName
01-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Well I was mostly wondering if it was a bad habit. But sounds fine to me, heels up it is! :D

minotaur70
01-22-2008, 05:12 AM
If its working do it and just coz its working doesn't make it cheating. Some feds allow heels up, some don't- but you ain't in any feds so who cares.

drew
01-22-2008, 06:53 AM
It's fine. If you compete, stick to the ones that don't have stupid rules. Heels up is fine as long as your feet are on the floor. I like to keep my heels slightly off the floor and then drive them down when I press.