PDA

View Full Version : Help with my Oly lifts please.. Video.

1mmort4l
01-23-2008, 05:17 AM
Well, i have been doing some SNatches and Cleans the last couple of weeks, and i'm at a stage where i could use some pointers.

Today, as you will see in the video, is the first time i managed to get a decent looking full clean. I found it hard to catch the weight on my front delts, but i might be onto something after today.

I'm 100% self taught, and it seems my main problem is keeping my knees symmetrical in the ATF position, and a few balance issues.

Warning!!! WARNING!!! Warning!!!
I didn't intend on posting these lifts on the net, but decided to anyway.
So..... its HOT here, and my Gym is outside, i like to wear no shirt...
If you dont want to see a white guy with a little bit of chubs.... DONT click the link! :)

Snatches (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1cAFISs1qc)

Thanks for the critique..
Cleans to come soon..

1mmort4l
01-23-2008, 05:29 AM
Heres the Cleans, but watching back the titles are completely wrong, so please ignore them...

Cleans (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvapZyfnEHU)

Fuzzy
01-23-2008, 05:59 AM
Holy crap! That's gotta be the best self taught snatching i have ever seen.

Ok, the most over looked, but most important part, of Olympic lifting is the hip extension, the bringing of the hips through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPBbr-aeoIo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWxOPOSBNso

See how the hips hit the bar? remember to keep the ass down, but this is what you need to practice, bringing the hips through and getting that bar brush, your quads will bruise like a mother ****er but deal with it! Just as important is the shrug, when you bring the hips thourough and into the bar, dont let the bar fly forwards SHRUG THE **** OUT OF IT TILL YOUR TRAPS TOUCH YOUR EARS. and keep the bar close to you.

The cleans surprised me even more! Your racking is superb, sits nice and comfortably on your delts and you just got your finger tips on there.

Once again, same thing, forget snatching and cleaning and focus on the extnsion and bar brush, post more videos of you practicing your pulls and extension, get some good bar brush and shrug, once you learn that yu will be o lifting as good as you will ever need to be. Use the snatch grip and clean grip

(your snatch grip needs to be wider)

Do not cut your pull short, in your powerclean vids you were not finishing the shrug, SPEND THE PULL then go as deep as you need to to catch it.

You are very unstable at times and come forward alot, this is because the bar is being pulled too far forwards, because you dont have the hip brush you have to run under the bar too catch it, once the hips extension is there, the doubling of your speed and correct pathway will have the bar flying up to a nice snappy lockout.

Hands down the best self learnt form ever, you should really consider joining WA weightlifting.

JHarris
01-23-2008, 06:21 AM
I'd just like to add on a bit to what Fuzzy said, though I agree with his points. Mainly, I see two issues that you should fix right now. The first is that you are not over the bar enough. Your shoulders look to be just in line with the bar, and they could be in front of the bar more. Further, you should work on keeping your back angle the same longer; be more patient.. push the floor away as long as you can.

The second thing that I see, though this will be helped a lot by fixing the first, is keeping the bar closer to you. It looks like (and this isn't the best angle to see it) you are letting the bar stay roughly 2-3 inches away from your body. You want it to almost be touching you at all points. That's why you missed that last snatch - the bar started 2 inches in front and, no surprise, it ended two inches in front and you couldn't muscle it backwards.

Fuzzy is right about the hip drive.. you are not extending nearly enough. I wouldn't get too bent on ramming the bar - that's more an effect than a cause and you don't want to send the bar hurtling forward. But you need to fully extend those hips, and once you start doing so you will start to contact the bar. A way to know you are doing this right is that the bar won't travel in a big loop, but will stay tight. When it contacts, it should be as high up as possible on your body as possible.

Nice work teaching yourself. I have to agree with Fuzzy - I've never seen someone self-taught do this well.

1mmort4l
01-23-2008, 10:57 PM
Holy crap! That's gotta be the best self taught snatching i have ever seen.

Ok, the most over looked, but most important part, of Olympic lifting is the hip extension, the bringing of the hips through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPBbr-aeoIo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWxOPOSBNso

See how the hips hit the bar? remember to keep the ass down, but this is what you need to practice, bringing the hips through and getting that bar brush, your quads will bruise like a mother ****er but deal with it! Just as important is the shrug, when you bring the hips thourough and into the bar, dont let the bar fly forwards SHRUG THE **** OUT OF IT TILL YOUR TRAPS TOUCH YOUR EARS. and keep the bar close to you.

The cleans surprised me even more! Your racking is superb, sits nice and comfortably on your delts and you just got your finger tips on there.

Once again, same thing, forget snatching and cleaning and focus on the extnsion and bar brush, post more videos of you practicing your pulls and extension, get some good bar brush and shrug, once you learn that yu will be o lifting as good as you will ever need to be. Use the snatch grip and clean grip

(your snatch grip needs to be wider)

Do not cut your pull short, in your powerclean vids you were not finishing the shrug, SPEND THE PULL then go as deep as you need to to catch it.

You are very unstable at times and come forward alot, this is because the bar is being pulled too far forwards, because you dont have the hip brush you have to run under the bar too catch it, once the hips extension is there, the doubling of your speed and correct pathway will have the bar flying up to a nice snappy lockout.

Hands down the best self learnt form ever, you should really consider joining WA weightlifting.

Thanks for the awesome reply Fuzzy!
You really think my form was that good??? Wow, thanks man!
I watched an instructional vid about 6 months ago, and never really put much into trying, then a couple weeks ago just tried doing them..
In that video was the very first time i felt like i "caught" the weight the correct way. Before that, i was going into the full squat position, and waiting for the bar to come down and land on my Delts! You can see why it wasn't working too well for me! haha..

As for the hip drive, i watched a few vids of some lifts in the Olympics etc, and Pyrras Dimas (sp?) had some crazy action going on. I think repetition and time will help me get the correct whip. I also, wasn't sure weather or not you actually hit the bar with your quads or not, so thanks for that.

Fuzzy, when you say "Once again, same thing, forget snatching and cleaning and focus on the extension and bar brush" How do i practice that?

Just watched the vids you posted, and that helps alot.
At least i have a base form to work on, and can add the bar brush etc in.

Last question, i notice those guys dont pull the bar from the floor with alot of speed, i was under the impression the explosive speed is needed. It seems they go slow to their quads, and then explode with the quads adding velocity.

1mmort4l
01-23-2008, 10:59 PM
I'd just like to add on a bit to what Fuzzy said, though I agree with his points. Mainly, I see two issues that you should fix right now. The first is that you are not over the bar enough. Your shoulders look to be just in line with the bar, and they could be in front of the bar more. Further, you should work on keeping your back angle the same longer; be more patient.. push the floor away as long as you can.

The second thing that I see, though this will be helped a lot by fixing the first, is keeping the bar closer to you. It looks like (and this isn't the best angle to see it) you are letting the bar stay roughly 2-3 inches away from your body. You want it to almost be touching you at all points. That's why you missed that last snatch - the bar started 2 inches in front and, no surprise, it ended two inches in front and you couldn't muscle it backwards.

Fuzzy is right about the hip drive.. you are not extending nearly enough. I wouldn't get too bent on ramming the bar - that's more an effect than a cause and you don't want to send the bar hurtling forward. But you need to fully extend those hips, and once you start doing so you will start to contact the bar. A way to know you are doing this right is that the bar won't travel in a big loop, but will stay tight. When it contacts, it should be as high up as possible on your body as possible.

Nice work teaching yourself. I have to agree with Fuzzy - I've never seen someone self-taught do this well.

Thanks for the input JHarris!
Yep, i think that advice is on the most part going to help my stability issues alot.

I may add to this thread with a couple more vids of lighter weight, and try keeping it closer, and leaning over the bar etc..
Thanks guys.

JHarris
01-24-2008, 06:31 AM
You are right. There is no race to get the bar off the floor, though many people think there is. In fact, my coach has often said "The heavier the weight, the slower off the floor". All you want to do is get the bar into the right position, just above your knees, to start exploding. Good eye for catching that!

CancerVII
01-24-2008, 08:19 AM
The most important thing you should try to do now is keeping the bar close to your body and getting the extension Fuzzy is telling you about. The bar always seems to be too far from your body. Other than that, they're great for being self-taught. :)

Sleepy Guy
01-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Not much to add to the others.. Other then pretty damn good for self taught, keep it up.