PDA

View Full Version : Confused with Calorie Intake

Shoebawks
01-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Hey all,
I've been confused with calorie intake. I'm 15, started lifting seriously about 4 months ago. Before I started I was a cow being around 200lbs 5'7" and now I'm about 148 5'9". I believe I was eating on a huge deficit and that's why I lost weight so quickly. However, I wanted to gain weight again, except the kind that everybody likes :) . So I started bulking a couple weeks ago, starting at 142. In a week I went up to around 146-8, eating around 2000-2200 cals a day. before I was eating 1200-1400, and I did the BMR formula and got about 1800. I'm wondering if I'm gaining too much weight too fast? It appears as if the weight I have gained is mostly body fat but I'm really paranoid about that type of thing so I could be wrong. Any opinions?

whiteman90909
01-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Just eat at a rate that makes you gain a pound or two a week, track calories if you need help in doing that.

IMHO 1200 cals a day seems ridiculously low.

Shoebawks
01-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Yeah it was rediculously low, I'm just wondering if I was eating too much over maitenence, I really want to maximize muscle gain over fat gain, so a really slow clean bulk wouldn't bother me. Also, are there things I should be doing other than working out and occasional cardio? I mean, when I'm not in the gym running or lifting I'm either at school or chilling at my house or a friends house. I don't know if being sedentary pretty much other than the gym will only harm me?

eagle123
01-26-2008, 02:19 AM
Just decrease the calories and your protein intake should be high

supplementking
01-27-2008, 08:16 AM
Good questions,

bottom line is it all comes down to calories in vs. calories burned plus how intense your training is. You must be sure that your in bulk training phase as well. If you're in the same training format you were before you decided to add this calories than yes, it will convert to fat. Dont panic, you can always get that back off.

What i mean by bulk training is, Heavy, Heavy, Heavy training. You need to tax all your muscle fibers and make the body respond to this heavy training by utilizing all the xtra calorie intake. The body realizes when you tax your body beyond its limits, it counter acts that with releasing more hormones, hgh, testosterone to mention a few. This will enable your body to grow and rebuild it self for future torterous workouts.

So, I would definately check your workout and make sure your not just flying through doing mulitiple sets of 10-15 reps with moderate weight. You need to load it up, 5-8 reps per set, 4 sets per excercise, rest at least 3 to 4 minutes between sets.

The King

Skelator03
06-10-2009, 11:57 AM
I like what you did my friend! CONGRATS didnt do it the most healthy way but you def got the job done some things to consider. You were probly dehydrated at 142 and probly lost some muscle mass when you were doing the crazy weight loss but you had lots of fat to lose so i feel you. Just follow general guidelines like 17-19 calories per pound of body weight to bulk just some general guidelines i did a similar thing when i first started to lose weight had a ridiculous deficeit and ran on that for a little while. Make sure to be getting your protein my gains were ridiculous when going from that crazy deficeit to some real cutting and making sure to get the protein needed. Hope that helps