PDA

View Full Version : Hazelnut milk

SDS
01-27-2008, 08:21 AM
This stuff is awesome. At $3 for 32 oz. it's pricey from the store, but man it's good. What's annoying is that it's $1 more per 32 oz. container online than it is at the health food store.......WTF's up with that?
Anyway I'm gonna get some nuts and make some myself since it looks like a pretty easy endeavor. I've found bulk nuts online, but I'm not sure whether I need shelled or unshelled nuts.......any idea which one I'd need? I think unshelled, but honestly I don't know anything about hazelnuts. The milk is made by basically running the nuts through a blender with some water and your favorite sweetener, then straining. It's like 120 cal's and 2g protein per cup, and it tastes really good.

shazoo123
01-27-2008, 09:49 PM
that actually sounds delicious

Built
01-27-2008, 11:48 PM
DAMN that sounds good.

Do they roast the hazelnuts first? It will damage the oils of course, but that's how you make hazelnuts taste so wonderful.

You'll need them shelled. Otherwise you'll have to shell them all yourself which is a ROYAL PITA.

SDS
01-28-2008, 06:23 AM
I don't think they roast them for this milk, but you can buy the bulk nuts already roasted.

Max Thunder
01-28-2008, 07:39 AM
Aren't these milks just like almond milk, i.e. mostly sugar, water, and a bit of actual amond or hazelnut? There's probably barely any fat in that. Obviously much better to eat the nuts themselves.

How is it annoying that it is less expensive in store? Buying in store > buying online...

SDS
01-28-2008, 08:42 AM
3.5g fat per cup, and the nut base is roasted hazelnuts. Sweetened with brown rice sweetener. Buying online > buying in store because the store is over an hour away. Not really better to eat nuts when you're wanting something to drink.....
I'm going to order some roasted nuts and try to make some myself and sweeten it with sucanat, if it needs sweetening at all.