PDA

View Full Version : bands, bands, bands...

jbrin0tk
01-28-2008, 02:40 PM
So upon the suggestion of one of the posters here, I bought some bands from elitefts (mini and monster minis, 2 of each) for another way to work on my bench. Just curious, but what do you attach them to? My guess is that one end goes around the bar (possibly doubled up for extra tension?), and the other end goes under a couple of heavy plates or something? Am I way off base? I appreciate all the responses, guys. Keep 'em coming!

Bako Lifter
01-28-2008, 02:44 PM
You can attach the other side to some dumbells or, depending on the type of bench you're using, you can attach them to it or wrap it around underneath.

Rusty
01-28-2008, 04:03 PM
I use a heavy dumbell on each side of the cage. You can put it around the handle, choke it around the handle, or double it up depending on how much tension you want.

elitepler
01-28-2008, 04:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EII9qcj4dgQ

Scooter
01-28-2008, 04:33 PM
If you use a dumbbell make sure it's heavier than the maximum band tension. I have a rack myself and just wrap the bands around the rack.

vAHvURlC3OA

Bohizzle
01-28-2008, 04:46 PM
I have a rack myself and just wrap the bands around the rack.

As band tension increases u may need to add weight to your rack to prevent it from lifting.

Andrew

Darracq
01-28-2008, 05:42 PM
always double for bench. you can loop them for squats, I have some hooks screwed into the floor or you can use heavy dumbells or under your rack if it is bolted down or heavy enough.

Darracq
01-28-2008, 05:45 PM
http://media.putfile.com/024-67

This is now i have mine setup

Scooter
01-28-2008, 07:16 PM
As band tension increases u may need to add weight to your rack to prevent it from lifting.

Andrew

Good point, never really thought about it. I have the green bands so at most it would be 150lbs of resistance. The rack must be heavier then that, especially with the lat attachment.

btw, I looked it up and the minis are 25lbs and the monster mini's are 35lbs each.

PriestCometh
01-30-2008, 03:16 PM
Definately, double band them. Attach them to dumbells.

I also use them for close grip pinpresses(my favorite exercise).

jbrin0tk
01-30-2008, 06:16 PM
I wanted to thank you guys for your advice and suggestions. I doubled them up and attached them to the bottom of my rack. Man, it feels so crazy the first time you lift off. My arms were going everywhere and I could barely control them! I've got about 50% of my max on the bar now. From what I read, you should use bands to do fast reps. Is this correct? Thanks again, guys.

Darracq
01-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Make sure to get super tight before you lift off and stay that way, try some med bands they are real fun lol.

PriestCometh
02-01-2008, 11:36 AM
that is correct. Good speed out of the bottom makes it easier to lock the weight out.

jtteg_x
02-01-2008, 12:51 PM
mini bands are awesome for speed bench days

jbrin0tk
02-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Priest, I understand what you are saying about speed out of the bottom making it easier to lockout at the top. So, should I apply this "speed" principle when I am benching always. In other words, if I am doing a set of 5 with 250 and no bands (i.e. no dynamic method day workout), should I still be trying to go fast out of the bottom? Thanks for your help, man.

Ben Moore
02-04-2008, 08:56 AM
I know you weren't talking to me but ;) - Yes, you should be trying to exert maximum force to the bar resulting in greater speed.

jbrin0tk
02-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Hey Ben, that's perfectly cool. I know I said Priest, but really I'll take any advice I can get. Thanks for that, man.

PriestCometh
02-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Priest, I understand what you are saying about speed out of the bottom making it easier to lockout at the top. So, should I apply this "speed" principle when I am benching always. In other words, if I am doing a set of 5 with 250 and no bands (i.e. no dynamic method day workout), should I still be trying to go fast out of the bottom? Thanks for your help, man.

It should be around 50%(bar weight) of your raw max with double banded monster minis. Then every 2 weeks go up 5% until you get to 65% then deload before meet time(about 2 weeks out)(10 week training cycle).

Note: it works great for speed but it does take its toll on your joints. So, make sure you deload at least 2 weeks out from your meet so you can heal in time.

This is just something I do. Not everyone does it.

Some folks go 4 weeks then deload for 2 weeks. Then go 4 weeks of bands and deload for 2 weeks before a meet(for a 12 week training cycle).

PriestCometh
02-05-2008, 12:56 PM
I know you weren't talking to me but ;) - Yes, you should be trying to exert maximum force to the bar resulting in greater speed.

Agreed.

PriestCometh
02-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Sometimes I go 4 weeks(bands) then deload for 2 weeks. Then go 4 weeks of chains and deload for 2 weeks before a meet(for a 12 week training cycle).

jbrin0tk
02-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks, guys, for all of your help. This is great. What about dynamic squats? What kinds of bands might I use for those? Do those need to be double banded as well? Thanks again.

PriestCometh
02-05-2008, 06:00 PM
Actually, I use bigger bands and choke them(usually greens for me).
But, I use the same percentage of bar weight.