PDA

View Full Version : Enzymes in live (raw) foods, significant?

manowar669
01-29-2008, 10:02 AM
A lot of people around me (co-workers, brother in law, etc) keep harping on the importance of eating raw foods (fruits and veggies), because they contain enzymes. I tell them that your body produces all the enzymes that you need to be healthy. I understand some organisms are beneficial in the gut (lactobacillus sp. etc), but you can live without them. Are enzymes beneficial? significant?

Holto
01-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Enzymes are just one of many families of phytonutrients. Heat can destroy their nutritive value.

That said the enyzmes in food have other roles in the body when not needed for digestion.

manowar669
01-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Enzymes are just one of many families of phytonutrients. Heat can destroy their nutritive value.

That said the enyzmes in food have other roles in the body when not needed for digestion.

What roles would that be? I'm curious. I pretty much eat a paleo diet anyway, I'm just interested in the functions of "live" food, versus cooked.

BBB
01-29-2008, 11:38 AM
From http://altmedicine.about.com/od/popu...a/Raw_Food.htm

"People must be aware that certain nutritional deficiencies can occur on the raw food diet, including:

* Calcium
* Iron
* B12 The Journal of Nutrition study found that a raw food diet increased levels of homocysteine due to vitamin B-12 deficiency.
* Protein
* Calories"

All the enzymes you need to digest your food are already in your gut and many of the enzymes left in raw foods are destroyed by the acid in your stomach.

Holto
01-30-2008, 11:48 AM
What roles would that be?

Bromelain, for example, helps with inflammation when taken on an empty stomach.

Again, it's not about enzymes, it's about the 100,000 phytonutrients available in vegetables and fruits.