PDA

View Full Version : Johan Santana traded to New York...

yankeekd25
01-29-2008, 02:42 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2008-01-29-twins-mets-santana_N.htm

The Sox and the Yanks both had better packages to offer. What a joke.

MrWebb78
01-29-2008, 03:16 PM
Twins are just dumping payroll. They know they can't compete with the Indians and Tigers for the next 7 years, so why spend any money?

Makes no sense really, they had Liriano coming back healthy, and could have had a nasty combo again with those two.

BigCorey75
01-29-2008, 03:53 PM
yeah could be an interesting move, mets are a team on the verge with the need of a few more pieces and johan is a big piece

the trade is still pending on them reaching a contract agreement, personally i would have went to boston

MrWebb78
01-29-2008, 05:27 PM
I'm glad he didn't go to Boston for a few reasons.

1) Dominican pitchers generally don't perform well after 30 yrs old, he is 29 and looking for a long term overpriced deal.

2) Jon Lester would have been traded and he is the next Tom Glavine who needs to be locked up long term.

3) Sox farm system is top notch and doesn't need to be dried up for the sake of one pitcher who isn't really needed. Beckett, Dice-K, Schilling, Lester, Bucholz/Wakefield. Easily in the top 5 for best starting rotations in baseball.

Y2A
01-29-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm just happy the yankees didn't get him. I didn't really want the sox to get rid of lester, bucholz, and/or ellsbury anyway.

yankeekd25
01-30-2008, 04:38 AM
Twins are just dumping payroll. They know they can't compete with the Indians and Tigers for the next 7 years, so why spend any money?

Makes no sense really, they had Liriano coming back healthy, and could have had a nasty combo again with those two.

I know they are just trying to dump. What I'm saying is the Red Sox and Yanks had better offers. Only Gomez has had ML experience and you just never know how these top prospects will pan out. At least Hughes, Kennedy, Melky, Ellsbury, Buchholz have shown signs that they can make it in the bigs.

MrWebb78
01-30-2008, 10:50 AM
The yankee deal made perfect sense! A quality CF to replace Hunter, and some good arms to replace Santana. But in 2 years they would run into the same problem, signing good players to long term contracts, something they just don't want to do.