PDA

View Full Version : Sodium

OGROK
01-29-2008, 05:46 PM
So I decided to check how much sodium I am eating, and even though I am eating clean it's like 4000 grams a day. I guess most of it comes from canned chicken, which is in like a salt broth to preserve it. Also the veggies I eat are like in some kind of garlic sauce, which adds a bunch of sodium to them. Should I be concerned?

Runty
01-29-2008, 06:23 PM
If you don't have any ailments such as high blood pressure or cholesterol, and you sweat when you workout, it should be fine.

slick
01-29-2008, 06:53 PM
I'm a 3rd year nursing student,

wrote a 14 page paper on hypertension that was 75% of my grade, got a 98 on it. Regardless, water follows sodium, a high sodium diet will cause you to swell because of water retention. On a health related note, sodium (and calcium) focus on impulses and muscle contraction such as the contraction of the muscles in the heart.

High sodium diets lead to hypertension(high blood pressure), so try to cut it down a little thats all.

OGROK
01-29-2008, 09:17 PM
What level of intake should I aim for?

Slim Schaedle
01-29-2008, 09:54 PM
American Dietetic Association recommends 3,000mg.

dxiw
01-29-2008, 09:59 PM
I would say 2500-3000, unless you have sensitivity to salt. I know for me, when I eat salt, my blood pressure skyrockets, I take in 700-1400 and it keeps the water away and my blood pressure in check.

Built
01-29-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm a 3rd year nursing student,

wrote a 14 page paper on hypertension that was 75% of my grade, got a 98 on it. Regardless, water follows sodium, a high sodium diet will cause you to swell because of water retention.

It will, initially, because your body needs a certain concentration of sodium in your tissues. Eat more salt, and the body will reduce the amount of water urinated out in an effort to dilute the solution - so you bloat. Keep drinking water and you dilute the solution so much that the body has to drop water to concentrate the solution. Consistently drink lots of water while freely salting your food and you won't bloat.

On a health related note, sodium (and calcium) focus on impulses and muscle contraction such as the contraction of the muscles in the heart.

High sodium diets lead to hypertension(high blood pressure), so try to cut it down a little thats all.

They can. They don't always. I'm middle-aged, I salt the hell out of my food, and my blood pressure is nice and low.

caseymajor
01-30-2008, 07:26 AM
Well said "Built" thats what I do when getting ready for a show, I play with my water a lot so it drys me out even more. With my carb load too though

Built
01-30-2008, 08:06 AM
It was a neat trick I used to help bearwolf dry out for a powerlifting comp last year.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=288