PDA

View Full Version : That was close - hurt back this morning

mikesbytes
01-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Doing Deadlifts this morning, on my 4th rep at 140kg/308lbs I felt a ping in my left lower back between the hip and the spine. Quit back and went and did some bicep work and then quit that and went and did some stretching, mainly back. It's sore, but I think I've got away with it, I was fine to ride 5k/3m with a heavy back pack to complete commuting to work.

I'm now thinking about a belt. Presumably the problem occurred because I did a bad lift, but for heavier weights, above <please recommend>, should I use a belt for insurance against making these sorts of mistakes?

WILD BILL
01-29-2008, 09:45 PM
were u doing sumo or conventional? I just did the same thing n it hurt in the same spot.

mikesbytes
01-30-2008, 12:41 AM
Conventional.

11 hours later its still a bit sore, might give it a soaking in the bath tub before calling it a night.

90kg_pwrlftr
01-30-2008, 06:39 AM
careful with the heat that actually makes mine worse. I like ice. I have disk issues that flare up and cause similar pain that radiates down my leg. Just take it easy and take anti-inflamatory meds and allow the inflammation to reduce.

WillKuenzel
01-30-2008, 07:48 AM
The belt is a tool to help you learn to maintain better form. It really won't help prevent these types of injuries unless you correct what caused the issue.

Guido
01-30-2008, 09:39 AM
^Exactly. I would let the back rest for a week (no deads) and the next time you deadlift really concentrate on good form and don't go too heavy the first time. I've made the mistake too many times of rushing back into heavy training after an injury (even slight ones).

mikesbytes
01-31-2008, 03:48 AM
Thanks Guys, OK, so a belt isn't insurance policy so I won't get one.

37 hours later the back is feeling considerably better, probably another 24 hours to go and it will be 100%.