PDA

View Full Version : EFAs and flax oil

the doc
03-14-2002, 07:12 PM
Everyone, I recently heard an interview with Dr. Barry Sears, author of "The Zone Diet"

He was commenting on the use of flax seed oil as a source of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids and had some very interesting things to say.

1) Flax oil is the absolute poorest source of omega 3 fatty acid

2) It is next to impossible to get the required amounts of EFAs through consumption of fish.

3) the only way to get the required EFAs are to take COD LIVER OIL.

Having reflected on what Sears was saying makes sense. The REAL beneficial omega 3 fatty acids are not those found in flax (which is alpha-linolenic acid).

Now when i say efas i am speaking of the Omega 3 fatty acids EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid). These are the compounds which have been shown to have the beneficial effects. Now alpha linoleic acid can be converted into DHA and EPA, but it is an inefficient process. Thus sears comments that flax is the poorest source of these fatty acids.

bottom line- go get you cod liver oil@!

each1/2 teaspoon contains around 250 mg of DHA. I have heard 1 teaspoon is a good dose. In addition, other fish oils are availible which do not have vit A and D in them and can therefore be taken in higher quantities.

CBates
03-14-2002, 08:28 PM
1 teaspoon is around 4.5 grams of fat, which is the recommended serving size, would you recommend taking maybe a tablespoon to get the same amount of fat that you would from flax?

LiftAgain
03-15-2002, 08:47 AM
Interesting doc. I thought Flax oil was one of the best sources so I did some more research and found this link among others that confirms your info.
http://www.omega-3info.com/o3_4.htm#products

quote: "Certain vegetable oils such as linseed (flaxseed), rapeseed (canola) and walnut oil contain a type of omega-3, known as the short chain type (alpha-linolenic acid). To be useful to the human body, these short chain omega-3s must first be converted to their long chain form. While the human body can in theory do this conversion, in practice, modern diets and lifestyles reduce the effectiveness of the conversion systems. Roughly 10 times more of the short chain omega-3s must be consumed to have the same effect as the long chain form from fish oil."

Alpha-linolenic acid has other health benefits though so I it doesn't hurt to supplement it. :)

Some signs of alpha-linolenic acid deficiency include loss of motor coordination, tingling in the extremities, vision impairment, and behavioral changes...

the doc
03-15-2002, 09:13 AM
yes i agree it is a good fat supplement, but not the panacea it was made out to be

Manipul8r
03-15-2002, 10:41 AM
"panacea" <---wtf is that?? oh and I was under the impression that flax was a great source of EFA's.. I dunno.

TFXP-Zeke01
03-15-2002, 04:03 PM
HMMM.........just when you learn something, someone else comes to outdate or abolish it. I'm not saying this guy isn't correct, I'm just saying how aggrevating it is when you learn something only to find out that some other idea or theory is better.:confused:

I guess I'll be going out to buy some "cod liver oil" soon then......

TFXP-Zeke01
03-15-2002, 04:03 PM
OH! Thanks for the helpful info!;)

the doc
03-18-2002, 10:29 PM
back to the top with you thread

rookiebldr
03-19-2002, 01:36 AM
So much for my Flax sup.

the doc
03-19-2002, 10:58 AM
look, flax is ok but there are much better sources of the omega fatty acids
it is better than nothing though

kinda like running kerosine where it asks for unleaded

ElPietro
03-19-2002, 12:41 PM
now all we need is to find out cottage cheese is bad too and tryska will starve to death...

jell999
03-19-2002, 01:51 PM
Wouldnt cod liver oil taste like sh*t in my shake?

irish mike
03-20-2002, 02:28 AM
yummm!cod liver oil.my life keeps getting better

the doc
03-20-2002, 09:51 AM
yes it would not taste great.

just convince yourself you like it

nightop
08-23-2002, 02:30 PM
BUMP... im trying to figure out the very best way to supplement EFA's from a safety, cheap, and effective manner.

If Flax seed oil is in fact not as effective as people think, because the body has to convert it to longer chain fatty acids.. why do so many people say it is wonderful? And if cod liver oil is the ideal source, how does one get around the presence of PCB's and too much vitamin A found in cod liver oil?

Surely there is an answer...

I'm thinking that maybe I'm thinking too much and should just start taking high-lignan flax seed oil and stop worrying.

Blood&Iron
08-23-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by nightop
BUMP... im trying to figure out the very best way to supplement EFA's from a safety, cheap, and effective manner.

If Flax seed oil is in fact not as effective as people think, because the body has to convert it to longer chain fatty acids.. why do so many people say it is wonderful?

They don't know any better...

[B}
And if cod liver oil is the ideal source, how does one get around the presence of PCB's and too much vitamin A found in cod liver oil?
[/b]
Molecularly distilled fish oils do not have this problem. The NOW brand uses molecular distillation and is quite cheap(<$10 for 200 1g caps) Sear's also has several companies(ZonePerfect and SearsLab) selling the stuff, but it's more expensive.

nightop
08-23-2002, 04:50 PM
Okay thanks..i have since done some more research and have found that www.goldenflax.com 's flax seeds are another very good option... and according to Udo, normal "high-lignan" flax seed oils are actually less sterile than normal flax seed oil and the lignan often settles to the bottom of the bottle and would have to be scrapped out... so I will not be buying high-lignan" flax seed oil.... so that basically leaves flax seeds and molecularly distilled fish oils.... fish oils delivering more EPA/DHA and flax oils delivering more lignans... also found out that your body can pretty much utilize flax seeds/oils and convert them into the needed EPA/DHA, and caffiene is the main inhibitor of this (i take in absolutely no caffiene, so i dont have to worry about that)... I talked to some ppl at avantlabs who are well versed in this and these are the conclusions.. thanks.

duque21
08-23-2002, 05:31 PM
Instead of you guys flipping out over cod liver oil........just go get some salmon oil pills and just get your omega-3's that way and it is a high concetration

LAM
08-23-2002, 06:26 PM
hemp oil is superior to flax for Omega 3's but not Omega 6's and only has slightly less linolic acid. and it does not go rancid as fast as flax does...

the best thing to do is to use a variety of sources, olive, flax, hemp and Udo's and natty pb...