PDA

View Full Version : 2nd meet

chinaz
01-31-2008, 09:59 PM
didnt do so well in my meet.

after staying away from water and such, i had a monster right before i lifted. i felt like my heart was going to come out of my suit. made me drop to my knees on my 1st att at squat ( 220 )
i did it again, and i got it.
went for 235 next, and i went down and everything, i stayed down for about 6sec, when coach said up, i went half way and then couldnt do it nemore. : (
Coach said my arms were in the way of his view so he couldnt see??.... w.e...
On top of that, they didnt lower my bar. i asked them to, but they said "thats as low as it can go.." im like wth??
so i would just get under the bar and 2 guys would put it on my back. stupid much???!?!
anywho.
i only went up to 110 on bench, (just wanted to be sure that i could it)
220 on dead lift.
total of 550. ( last meet, about a week or so ago, my total was 530. )
I got 2nd place over all.
2nd in region. ( for now at least...)
Got beat my 15pounds.
didnt max on squat, or bench.
went up on dead lift, and i have much more to go btw.... : )

No pictures that i know of, and no vids : (
sorry!!

Klotz
01-31-2008, 10:13 PM
The important thing is you tried your hardest. Everyone has crappy days.

Blackhawk08
01-31-2008, 10:25 PM
Still very nice job, but the squat rack not going low enough sucks, did they atleast hold it till you got it positioned right?

RickTheDestroyer
02-01-2008, 05:14 AM
You need more rest before your next meet, and you need to stop trying to cut weight at this point. Take a week off from lifting hard, strech, get on a foam roller, get a massage. Maybe do some light recovery work.
You did well to hit the deadlift PR and should be really proud, but at your age you shouldn't be full or aches and pains yet. Don't keep grinding yourself down or you're asking for an injury.

chinaz
02-01-2008, 05:25 AM
Still very nice job, but the squat rack not going low enough sucks, did they atleast hold it till you got it positioned right?

nope, i would just get under the bar, and they would lift it and put it on my back.

chinaz
02-01-2008, 05:27 AM
You need more rest before your next meet, and you need to stop trying to cut weight at this point. Take a week off from lifting hard, strech, get on a foam roller, get a massage. Maybe do some light recovery work.
You did well to hit the deadlift PR and should be really proud, but at your age you shouldn't be full or aches and pains yet. Don't keep grinding yourself down or you're asking for an injury.

My next meet is in 2weeks. i dont thikn i can take a whole week off : /
we have practice starting monday.
But im just guna go very light.

and thanks

smokinHawk
02-01-2008, 05:55 AM
sounds like you didnt rehydrate enough, and get enough rest.
you did good, but you might have been able to do better if rested more.
and why did you stay down for 6 seconds, down and up is all you need to do.

deeder
02-01-2008, 06:28 AM
I still don't understand why you were cutting water? You had said your weight was at 101lbs the night before and that you wanted to stay in the 105lb class.

90kg_pwrlftr
02-01-2008, 06:40 AM
I still don't understand why you were cutting water? You had said your weight was at 101lbs the night before and that you wanted to stay in the 105lb class.

Ditto to that. Sounds like you basically sabotaged yourself.

Detard
02-01-2008, 10:05 AM
My next meet is in 2weeks. i dont thikn i can take a whole week off : /
we have practice starting monday.
But im just guna go very light.

and thanks

You need to get out of this mindset that unless your in the gym going heavy every session, your going to get weaker. It's not true. After a meet most powerlifters take a week or 2 off to rest and then focus on the next meet. You need more rest.

deeder
02-01-2008, 10:52 AM
You need to get out of this mindset that unless your in the gym going heavy every session, your going to get weaker. It's not true. After a meet most powerlifters take a week or 2 off to rest and then focus on the next meet. You need more rest.

After a Saturday meet we are usually back in the gym Wednesday for a very light bench workout then Friday for a very light squat workout. Monday it's on to the next training cycle.

90kg_pwrlftr
02-01-2008, 11:16 AM
After a Saturday meet we are usually back in the gym Wednesday for a very light bench workout then Friday for a very light squat workout. Monday it's on to the next training cycle.

What kind of training cycle can you accomplish with meets 2 weeks apart?

Blackhawk08
02-01-2008, 11:16 AM
How often do you compete? 2 weeks seems to little rest period and almost no time to improve your numbers.

deeder
02-01-2008, 11:20 AM
What kind of training cycle can you accomplish with meets 2 weeks apart?

Uhh.. You can't? Was that a trick question?

I was just stating how we do it at my gym after a meet. We don't do meets every 2 weeks :s My last 2 meets were 5 months apart. My next one is in April.

RickTheDestroyer
02-01-2008, 11:23 AM
I was just stating how we do it at my gym after a meet. We don't do meets every 2 weeks :s My last 2 meets were 5 months apart. My next one is in April.
Psssst... I think Blackhawk08 was talking to the OP.

deeder
02-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Psssst... I think Blackhawk08 was talking to the OP.

Psssst... 90kg quoted me and said:

"What kind of training cycle can you accomplish with meets 2 weeks apart?"

Kastro
02-01-2008, 11:28 AM
3 meets in a single month is madness!

Darracq
02-01-2008, 11:35 AM
i like your drive but you need a new coach.

RickTheDestroyer
02-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Indeed- well met. Confusion abounds! :confused:

PriestCometh
02-01-2008, 12:20 PM
A new coach would sound about right.

did you hit a new total pr?

Sensei
02-01-2008, 12:21 PM

I agree w. Rick - rhetorical question directed (perhaps indirectly) to the OP.

90kg_pwrlftr
02-01-2008, 12:21 PM

damn sorry deeder I thought she was saying that she had another meet in 2 weeks. I guess I need to learn to read what is current and what is a quote!

pulse
02-01-2008, 12:45 PM
A gallon of water weighs 8.34lbs. So you were afraid to drink water when in reality if you drank straight up a half gallon and didnt pee or sweat you still would have made weight.

Basically what im saying is you need to stay hydrated. You shouldn't be retaining that much anyways. Also I agree with everyone else saying you need more rest. You won't lose your lifts by taking a week.. or hell even a few days off. But a solid effort either way. You did good, grats.

You seem very strong for your age and if you want to keep powerlifting for the rest of your career you don't want to tear the hell out of your body right away and have lots of problems/injuries in the future. Take it easy.

deeder
02-01-2008, 01:54 PM
damn sorry deeder I thought she was saying that she had another meet in 2 weeks. I guess I need to learn to read what is current and what is a quote!

Ah!

She did say that she has a meet in two weeks!

Now we're just confusing each other!!!

I am in no way affiliated with Chinaz :hello:

I was just saying how my training partners and I get back into training after a meet.

I fully agree that 2 weeks between meets is a ridiculous idea. Last year I did 3 meets in 4 months (my first three meets) and it nearly killed me!

90kg_pwrlftr
02-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Ah!

She did say that she has a meet in two weeks!

Now we're just confusing each other!!!

I am in no way affiliated with Chinaz :hello:

I was just saying how my training partners and I get back into training after a meet.

I fully agree that 2 weeks between meets is a ridiculous idea. Last year I did 3 meets in 4 months (my first three meets) and it nearly killed me!

ok so now Im confused. Your other account is not Chinaz? j/k

I hear ya on the short gap between meets. Im doing the Arnold on the 29th, Loading/Spotting for a meet on Mar 8th and then doing the Great Lakes on Mar29th. I think its too much but I already gave my word that I would be there.

Im going to use the meet as basically a ME day! Someone on here told me to take that approach (dont remember who) but it sounds like a good idea.

BrettC
02-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Atleast your making progress and lifts go up every meet.

RedSpikeyThing
02-01-2008, 03:09 PM
You added 20 lbs to your total in the last 2 weeks or so? Congrats! You're doing well!

chinaz
02-02-2008, 11:38 AM
My total was 530 last meet.
and this time it was 550.
i would love to hit 570-600.

squat- 235
DL- 225
bench-120

that would be nice...

I have another meet on the 16th of this month : (
I need to started working out hard and dieting or i wont make the 97 weight class.

Btw, i pulled sumthing in my back, one side of my back has been hurting bad, its from falling on my 1st squat, it hurt badly. or maybe its from my belt.. idk.

anyways, if i do well in this coming up meet, then i will go to regionals. then state.
Regionals is on 2-23-08
so i do have some time between that.

btw, thanks everyone.

jtteg_x
02-02-2008, 12:40 PM
i think you had too many meets within range of time. give youself some time to actually train if you're looking for bigger numbers.
is your coach making you attend your 3rd meet?

Invain
02-02-2008, 12:58 PM
You hurt your back and you have a meet in 2 weeks? Have you told your coach your back hurts? If it's that bad and he makes you compete he's a complete ass

chinaz
02-02-2008, 01:05 PM
You hurt your back and you have a meet in 2 weeks? Have you told your coach your back hurts? If it's that bad and he makes you compete he's a complete ass

well, i think i have to go to this meet in order to go to regionals.
: (
and yes he saw me like messing with my back and stuff at the meet and he asked me what was wrong, and i told him where it hurt and he said i pulled a muscle there from falling on my squat.
then he said you just need to ice it when you get home.

i think you had too many meets within range of time. give youself some time to actually train if you're looking for bigger numbers.
is your coach making you attend your 3rd meet?

I think i have to go to this meet to get into regionals,
yeah, way to many meets. its crazy.

Paul Stagg
02-02-2008, 02:24 PM
In some places in Texas, Powerlifting is a school sport, with a season. Thus the multiple meets with no breaks.

Judging standards are very lax, and my guess is the coach isn't an elite powerlifter, and may have never competed in a PLing meet in his/her life.

They don't have proper equipment (someone had to hand off the barbell for a SQUAT?!?!).

They have 15 year old kids who weigh 100 pounds trying to drop weight.

To the OP: You have a great deal of drive, and you've got a great start on powerlifting. My suggestion: stick with track as a school sport, and stop powerlifting on your school team. Find a gym where there are powerlifters training (preferably some USAPL or AAU folks), and ask if you can join in. You've got the potential to be very successful at powerlifting - so start competing in real sanctioned meets.

Kastro
02-02-2008, 03:11 PM
To the OP: You have a great deal of drive, and you've got a great start on powerlifting. My suggestion: stick with track as a school sport, and stop powerlifting on your school team. Find a gym where there are powerlifters training (preferably some USAPL or AAU folks), and ask if you can join in. You've got the potential to be very successful at powerlifting - so start competing in real sanctioned meets.

Seconded. If you intend to take powerlifting a lot further, there are better ways to go about it.

Killa Kurt
02-03-2008, 01:28 PM
In some places in Texas, Powerlifting is a school sport, with a season. Thus the multiple meets with no breaks.

Judging standards are very lax, and my guess is the coach isn't an elite powerlifter, and may have never competed in a PLing meet in his/her life.

They don't have proper equipment (someone had to hand off the barbell for a SQUAT?!?!).

:withstupi:

deeder
02-03-2008, 01:34 PM

Best advice in this thread.

chinaz
02-04-2008, 06:10 PM
ya im thinking about join sumthing like that after the season.

But idk if my parents will let me : (

deeder
02-04-2008, 08:50 PM
ya im thinking about join sumthing like that after the season.

But idk if my parents will let me : (

Well they are letting you lift on the school team... Why would they not let you train with real powerlifters? That'd be like if you were really good at basketball and they didn't let you play in a competitive league... Just the high school one.

chinaz
02-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Well they are letting you lift on the school team... Why would they not let you train with real powerlifters? That'd be like if you were really good at basketball and they didn't let you play in a competitive league... Just the high school one.

Im guna try to get them to do it, but im going to have to wait tell april comes around, to i can drive myself around and stuff.
My mom hates taking me places i want to go.

Built
02-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Please don't try to drop to 97 lbs in two weeks while healing a back injury. Please please please don't do this.

chinaz
02-04-2008, 10:57 PM
Please don't try to drop to 97 lbs in two weeks while healing a back injury. Please please please don't do this.

oh im fine now dont worry.

im at 101pds.
meet isnt tell next sat. just need to drop 5pds thats all.

deeder
02-04-2008, 11:24 PM
oh im fine now dont worry.

im at 101pds.
meet isnt tell next sat. just need to drop 5pds thats all.

If you're 101lbs you only need to drop 4lbs. And I would take Built's advice. There's absolutely no reason you need to be in the 97lb weight class....

I don't even know why there IS a 97lb weight class. If anything, go up a couple of weight classes. You and your new found strength will thank us!

Built
02-04-2008, 11:26 PM
"only" four pounds means a deficit of 14000 calories in a two week span.

You can NOT run a 1000 calorie a day deficit for two weeks, miss "four feet EIGHT!!!".

What do you weigh right now? Hydrated and fed?

chinaz
02-06-2008, 07:33 PM
"only" four pounds means a deficit of 14000 calories in a two week span.

You can NOT run a 1000 calorie a day deficit for two weeks, miss "four feet EIGHT!!!".

What do you weigh right now? Hydrated and fed?

102, hydrated and fed

Built
02-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Okay. You might be able to drop a pound of actual bodyweight by then if you run a 200-250 a day deficit (which is probably the most I'd want you to consider, given your maintenance is probably about what, 1700, at the most?) and a further four pounds of water. But you're healing an injury right now. This isn't the time to diet down.

How's your back?

Bob
02-07-2008, 06:47 AM
Chinaz-I can't offer more additional advice built and Paul above...

But as a parent.. who knows just a little bit about this sport of powerlifting... I would NOT want you to compete at 97 lbs!! especially having to "lose" 5 lbs every couple of weeks...

I've got a girl who is just a bit younger then you who is interested in what Daddy does... and there is NO way I want her to lose weight. At your age, you should compete at whatever natural weight you are. I bet you would be much stronger, hydrated and healthier at 105!!

Think about it... talk with your parents... and if the coach is "forcing" you to drop down to 97, then drop the coach!! You are already squatting more then double your BW @ 15... you are obviously strong and could have a great, long "career" in this sport... records will fall in time..

Travis Bell
02-07-2008, 07:21 AM
for people new to powerlifting, its never a good idea to be doing cutting alot. Your muscles get dried out and you risk injuring yourself. Plus you're just not as strong. Just focus on training on a consistent good plan, eating well and getting lots of rest.

chinaz
02-13-2008, 07:24 PM
well im pretty sure im going to be in the 115.

but its just a meet.
im not that worried about it at all really..

i have my whole life to become a better lifter and gain more then just medals out of powerlifting.

as of right now im 106lbs.
and if i end up at 105 before weigh in on sat morning, then great.
if not,
oh well.

thanks everyone.

pulse
02-13-2008, 08:14 PM
well im pretty sure im going to be in the 115.

but its just a meet.
im not that worried about it at all really..

i have my whole life to become a better lifter and gain more then just medals out of powerlifting.

as of right now im 106lbs.
and if i end up at 105 before weigh in on sat morning, then great.
if not,
oh well.

thanks everyone.

:D There we go!

Kastro
02-13-2008, 11:43 PM
:D There we go!

Indeed. Cheers. :)

Guido
02-14-2008, 08:57 AM
I'd be pretty happy if I went up 20 lbs in one week!

Good job!