PDA

View Full Version : So I Think I wanna be a powerlifter....need a lil' advice..

arnoldsclone
02-01-2008, 05:30 PM
I need some advice on how I can get into the powerlifting scene. The thing is I always wanted to be a bodybuilder and whent from 300 lbs and fat down to 200 lbs and as cut as ever and as big as ever (muscle wise anyway lol) , and my gut just sags and is covered in stretchmarks and hangs,, I have veins on my shoulders, chest, arms, calfs etc. but my gut wil never leave me........:drooling:

So why not be a Powerlifter?? I like to eat lol, and I like to be BIG in general.....not to mention I've been bulking for a few months and am at 230 lbs......I have gotten an affinity for lifting heavy and doing 5 by 5 routines and have gotten stronger than I've ever been in my life.....I live in clifton park ny......i wouldn't mind traveling a couple hours to meets.....where can I start, is there raw competitions?? Do I have to have a suit??

Klotz
02-01-2008, 05:51 PM
There should be raw competitions, and if not you can just go to a geared comp without gear; you'll just place low.

Eat a lot, but don't use powerlifting as an excuse to get fat.

Sensei
02-01-2008, 06:47 PM
powerliftingwatch.com has a list of competitions I think. Most of the bigger federations have competitions throughout the U.S. I've kind of lost track of what there are these days but look for USAPL, USAPF, APF, NASA, Raw, AAU, etc... You can also check the magazine Powerlifting USA for meet listings.

You don't need a squat suit or bench shirt, but for most federations you will need some kind of singlet - you can go w. a wrestling singlet, or you can buy one from a powerlifting attire company like Inzer, Titan, or distributors like House of Pain.

As far as "placing low" - I wouldn't worry about it. A lot of competitions have so many weight, age, experience, and drug-use categories, sometimes it's pretty hard NOT to place high - if you care about that...

HP666
02-02-2008, 01:21 PM
HEY CLONE!!!!!

If you are in Clifton Park I have one major piece of advice for you. Go to Lake George, find Sebastian Burns and Bill Crawford at Adirondack Barbell. They are the closest people to you who I KNOW can help you. There aren't many people I know who can teach you more about competition benching than Sebastian Burns. Trust me on that. I live down in Orange County, NY myself, but spend a TON of time up there from May-October. Check out www.metalmilitia.net for a taste and shoot Sebastian an email, he will get back to you. Also check out www.ironasylumgym.com, the gym is over in Tribes Hill, NY, and the McCaslins, great people, are always running meets. Definitley start at Adirondack Barbell. The gym is located right off the main road, 9, right by Fort William Henry.

arnoldsclone
02-05-2008, 11:16 AM
HEY CLONE!!!!!

If you are in Clifton Park I have one major piece of advice for you. Go to Lake George, find Sebastian Burns and Bill Crawford at Adirondack Barbell. They are the closest people to you who I KNOW can help you. There aren't many people I know who can teach you more about competition benching than Sebastian Burns. Trust me on that. I live down in Orange County, NY myself, but spend a TON of time up there from May-October. Check out www.metalmilitia.net for a taste and shoot Sebastian an email, he will get back to you. Also check out www.ironasylumgym.com, the gym is over in Tribes Hill, NY, and the McCaslins, great people, are always running meets. Definitley start at Adirondack Barbell. The gym is located right off the main road, 9, right by Fort William Henry.

thanks a TON, I'm gonna get in touch with him...i could use a lil' help on my bench form anyways........I'm excited to get started!, So i gotta get a singlet again lofl!!!!!! I used to hate wearing it in highschool for wrestling.....but now I'm not 290 lbs lol!!! i will wear my singlet with pride damnit!!!!!!!! I figure I aughta buy a belt while I'm at it, any brand suggestions anyone??:indian:

HP666
02-05-2008, 12:18 PM
I figure I aughta buy a belt while I'm at it, any brand suggestions anyone??

I use an Inzer myself, 13MM, single prong buckle. I am getting ready for another and will get a Lever belt this time. Inzer makes great belts and have always have them in stock. Titan makes great belts too but they don't seem to stock as many of their better belts all the time. At least in my fat size, in your size you may find differently. I would check out Inzer's website, lots of belts, different options and colors. They both make cheaper belts for beginners that are more than sufficient. I have a friend who squats 700lbs and uses a Titan Toro Power Belt and he likes it.

http://www.inzernet.com/

http://titansupport.com/

arnoldsclone
02-05-2008, 03:44 PM
I use an Inzer myself, 13MM, single prong buckle. I am getting ready for another and will get a Lever belt this time. Inzer makes great belts and have always have them in stock. Titan makes great belts too but they don't seem to stock as many of their better belts all the time. At least in my fat size, in your size you may find differently. I would check out Inzer's website, lots of belts, different options and colors. They both make cheaper belts for beginners that are more than sufficient. I have a friend who squats 700lbs and uses a Titan Toro Power Belt and he likes it.

http://www.inzernet.com/

http://titansupport.com/

thanks a bunch dude! I'm lookin' into the belts right now.....

manofsteel99
02-05-2008, 04:04 PM
you will be glad you are a powerlifter meets are so much fun..

arnoldsclone
02-05-2008, 04:24 PM
you will be glad you are a powerlifter meets are so much fun..

I'm looking foward to it, i just gotta get my lifts up a bit more methinks......

I am 230 lbs and would be able to cut to 215 for competition in a months time.......at 215 what do i need to be benching/ deading/ squating to be competitive?? oh and all of this raw btw....

manofsteel99
02-05-2008, 04:30 PM
i think you are doing alright now, tryo to get your dead and squat up like 10 pounds each, your bench maybe like 5 but it looks good to me

minime_moomey
02-05-2008, 05:14 PM
Im not trying to thread jack, but finding myself in much the same situation here, what would be numbers on the big three to shoot for to be competitive in the 148# class? LOL. I may be the only one in it so it may not matter, but if anyone that has experience could throw some numbers my way...

manofsteel99
02-05-2008, 05:20 PM
lol a guy in the 148 class last year benched 255 in the weight class i went to, but that was the only tough comp. in that weight class

minime_moomey
02-05-2008, 05:25 PM
LOL. Holy cow :omg: I have some work to do before keeping up with that

Kastro
02-05-2008, 05:56 PM
In the 148 class you'll probably be looking at 1200-1500lb totals.

manofsteel99
02-05-2008, 07:13 PM
yea he was only good at benching, he set the state record though

Kastro: sre you talking professional or high school?

ACaslow
02-05-2008, 07:24 PM
great to hear.... to be a powerlifter you really just need a singlet for competitions... now a days you can jump into almost any meet and perform raw.. which is not a bad way to get your whistle wet.

but gear is just so much fun....

BFGUITAR
02-05-2008, 09:01 PM
I want to compete as well. I need to put at least 200 pounds on my total IMO. My goal is 1100 raw at 175-180 5'11.

minime_moomey
02-06-2008, 05:55 AM
In the 148 class you'll probably be looking at 1200-1500lb totals.

Is that raw?!

Travis Bell
02-06-2008, 09:46 AM
you'll have to change your training around quite a bit from bodybuilding. When I first switched to powerlifting it was from bbing. I wouldn't worry about how well you'll place, just work on getting into a good training routine and working with some guys who know what they are doing. You've got a great base for your powerlifting though, you've made the right switch haha

arnoldsclone
02-06-2008, 01:06 PM
:indian:
you'll have to change your training around quite a bit from bodybuilding. When I first switched to powerlifting it was from bbing. I wouldn't worry about how well you'll place, just work on getting into a good training routine and working with some guys who know what they are doing. You've got a great base for your powerlifting though, you've made the right switch haha

I'm currently doing baby got back as it has all the movements i need and has 5 by 5 work and that is where my strength gains move the best......this routine made me want to powerlift actually since it has some powerlifting in it.....THANKS BUILT!!!!!!!!! I just wanna go do a meet so i can see how much improvement i need, and then set some short term goals...

arnoldsclone
02-06-2008, 01:13 PM
:indian:

I'm currently doing baby got back as it has all the movements i need and has 5 by 5 work and that is where my strength gains move the best......this routine made me want to powerlift actually since it has some powerlifting in it.....THANKS BUILT!!!!!!!!! I just wanna go do a meet so i can see how much improvement i need, and then set some short term goals...yeah i am extremely excited to see what I'm capable of later on in the game......:) i carry 230 lbs and look like I'm 200 lbs lol

joelhall
02-10-2008, 04:20 AM
i agree dont use powerlifting as an excuse to get fat - or bulk. remember weight to bodyweight ratio, could make all the difference;)