PDA

View Full Version : Fruit selection for my protein shakes

Siscorevolution
02-01-2008, 11:49 PM
I'm a skinny guy, 6'4, 200 lbs, and im really skinny.

1. I am taking various supplement powders. Is there some fruits that are better for gaining weight or helping my muscles recover?

OGROK
02-02-2008, 01:17 AM
Bananas, for the fiber.

Invain
02-02-2008, 01:55 AM
And the potassium.

I'd have to vote bananas as well.

VikingWarlord
02-02-2008, 06:52 AM
Plus they taste good. I've heard a lot of people like using frozen strawberries too.

Most fruits aren't exactly calorie dense, so you have to add a lot (volume wise) in order to get much weight gain benefit. OTOH, if you throw more than fruit in there (peanut butter or a shot of olive oil or something), you get a lot more calories in a smaller volume.

Michigan
02-02-2008, 07:27 AM
I love bananas in my shakes!

MrWebb78
02-02-2008, 02:32 PM
I buy a frozen mixed berry bag at the supermarket. It has strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. I dump a cup of that mix, and a banana in with my other ingredients(OJ, yogurt, nilla protein) and it makes for a yummy shake.

HP666
02-02-2008, 06:03 PM
I agree on the berries. I buy the frozen ones from Wal Mart, they are near the frozen pie crusts and stuff. I stock up on the blueberries because of their anti-oxident value, but I do mix it up, they're all good. Frozen berries are so much cheaper than fresh, it's ridiculous.

McIrish
02-02-2008, 10:08 PM
I agree on the berries. I buy the frozen ones from Wal Mart, they are near the frozen pie crusts and stuff. I stock up on the blueberries because of their anti-oxident value, but I do mix it up, they're all good. Frozen berries are so much cheaper than fresh, it's ridiculous.

Well, they have less antioxidants, too, but that's the price you pay for cheap berries.

whiteman90909
02-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Strange as it sounds, apple juice with vanilla powder makes a pretty damn good base for a fruit protein shake. Just add some frozen and fresh fruit and you're golden.

kcurrin
02-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Can't go wrong with a bag of frozen mixed berries or fruit.

Slim Schaedle
02-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Well, they have less antioxidants, too, but that's the price you pay for cheap berries.

Can you confirm this?

McIrish
02-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Can you confirm this?

The better question is "Can I take credit for other people's research" and the answer is a resounding yes! ;)

http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publications.htm?SEQ_NO_115=195518

Antioxidant-rich polyphenolics were well retained in canned blueberries, but freezing and baking result in moderate losses. Although different forms of processed blueberries have lower levels of polyphenolics and antioxidant capacity than fresh berries, they are still a good and readily available source of dietary antioxidants.

Edit: I guess the take-home message is that you're getting slightly less antioxidants out of a frozen bag o' berries than you are out of home-grown organic berries (read somewhere that organic fruits/veggies have the highest content due to their needing to produce extra whatever to grow in the absence of pesticide/fertilizer), but frozen stuff is dirt cheap, so you might as get on that train til you can afford to shop at Whole Foods.

Slim Schaedle
02-05-2008, 09:01 PM
The better question is "Can I take credit for other people's research" and the answer is a resounding yes! ;)

http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publications.htm?SEQ_NO_115=195518

Edit: I guess the take-home message is that you're getting slightly less antioxidants out of a frozen bag o' berries than you are out of home-grown organic berries (read somewhere that organic fruits/veggies have the highest content due to their needing to produce extra whatever to grow in the absence of pesticide/fertilizer), but frozen stuff is dirt cheap, so you might as get on that train til you can afford to shop at Whole Foods.

Cool, I didn't mean to say you were wrong.

I just remember a presentation someone did in class a few years ago that showed eating frozen veggies and fruits did not result in much of a difference as opposed to fresh.

kcurrin
02-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Peaches, Kiwi, Mango, Berries, Melon, Citrus....all of those would be good choices.