PDA

View Full Version : tap water filters ??

WilliamX
03-14-2002, 08:24 PM
Does anybody use them?
Are they expensive?
Which ones are good?
How often do I have to replace them?
Where can I buy them?

millertime
03-15-2002, 10:10 AM
Which type of water filter are you talking about? The kind that is permently attatched to your water pipe, or a clip on briter or pur water filter.

WilliamX
03-15-2002, 11:20 AM
not the one permanently attached to the water pipe :), the ones you put on the faucet

millertime
03-15-2002, 11:26 AM
They are the same thing as a fish filter. One layer of cotton and then a layer of carbon rocks. They will filter out most solid pieces of debris in your water, but they don't filter out any chemicals. I have both at my house, the water taste pretty good.

millertime
03-15-2002, 11:28 AM
Does anybody use them?
>yes
Are they expensive?
>I think there around 20-30 bucks
Which ones are good?
> I like pur, but for the most part they are the same.
How often do I have to replace them?
>you need to change the filter like once a month
Where can I buy them?
>kmart, walmart, price club, I think even home depo has them.

WilliamX
03-15-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by millertime
They are the same thing as a fish filter. One layer of cotton and then a layer of carbon rocks. They will filter out most solid pieces of debris in your water, but they don't filter out any chemicals.
So they don't filter out chemicals? Are there ones that do?

I have both at my house, the water taste pretty good.
both? what was the other kind ? - i'm confused.. and What's a fish filter?

jarhead
03-15-2002, 11:53 AM
William,
Faucet filters such as Pur are junk. If you really want a good filtration system, go with an undersink system. Being that Long Island has shitty water we installed a double filtration system (taste/odor and bacteria/lead/chlorine ...). I believe Brooklyn has very good water straight out of the faucet, therefore, you may get away with Pur.

millertime
03-15-2002, 12:02 PM
So they don't filter out chemicals? Are there ones that do?

>A filter to remove chemicals would be way to expensive and impractical for your house.

both? what was the other kind ? - i'm confused.. and What's a fish filter?

>I have the system jarhead described. A fish filter is the filter off a fish tank.

ericg
03-15-2002, 12:03 PM
Our water in Miane is great, so I drink it from the tap. Oh, and I also work for the Water Dept. so I know whats in it!!

My parents HAD a Pur filter on their faucet. IT costs about $30, but we had to replace the fooken thing once a month cuz I drink soo much water.

WilliamX
03-15-2002, 07:43 PM
thank you all for replying.
Jarhead - so I need an undersink filter for chemicals right?
I dont know $hit about how good the water is here, but I my thoughts were it must be pretty chemically contaminated. Why do you think Brooklyn has good water?
Taste/Odor are fine though, and I'm not concerned that much about bacteria. I just dont want to have all that chlorine/fluoride or whatever stuff in the water.
How much would an undersink filter cost me? Where do they sell them?
ericg - $30 ! Thats a lot :) besides if it doesnt filter out the chemicals anyway..

the doc
03-15-2002, 08:57 PM
there are some tap filters that remove chemicals

look for specs on the packages to see what and how much is treated

charcoal does remove some organics

jarhead
03-18-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by WilliamX
Jarhead - so I need an undersink filter for chemicals right?
I dont know $hit about how good the water is here, but I my thoughts were it must be pretty chemically contaminated. Why do you think Brooklyn has good water?
Taste/Odor are fine though, and I'm not concerned that much about bacteria. I just dont want to have all that chlorine/fluoride or whatever stuff in the water.
How much would an undersink filter cost me? Where do they sell them?Undersink filter, like the one sold in Home Depot is much better than the crap that attaches to the faucet. It filters out a lot more "unwanted crap" that's in the water. I heard/read that the 5 boroughs have decent water-Long Island get their supply from a different source.
Undersink water filter (2 filters) costs about 150 bones at Home Depot. The filters have to be replaced about twice a year (depending on how much water you drink). One filter that looks like yarn is very cheap. For the 2nd filter, you have a choice depending if you have lead in your water. The one that filters out lead, costs about $25, the other one... ummm... I forgot. In any case, go to Home Depot and check it out.

WilliamX
03-18-2002, 12:33 PM
ok. thanks a lot man.

JohnnyAutoParts
03-18-2002, 12:36 PM
I think Britas are still the most popular....theyre reletively inexpensive ($18 for the pitcher) but they get you with the expensive replacement filters. i would be lost without my brita though.

jell999
03-18-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by the doc
charcoal does remove some organics

Yeah, for about the first 20 minutes, while the charcoal is active.
After that, it is practically useless.

WilliamX
03-18-2002, 08:07 PM
all right. The ones that attach to the faucet are $hit, I should get an undersink filter.

jell999
03-18-2002, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by WilliamX
all right. The ones that attach to the faucet are $hit, I should get an undersink filter.

You got it.