PDA

View Full Version : Burger idea - little help

Stumprrp
02-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Hey guys,

My parents are going away for 10 days soon so ill actually be able to cook dinner for myself everyday! i consider myself a pretty good cook for little experience.

I had an idea for burger to make for me and my friends, im looking for a few tips and help.

Basically, i was going to get some 80/20 beef, fine chop some onions and jalepenos and mix them in the meat, let it marinate in worchester sauce for a few hours...

Instead of pan cooking them because we dont have a grill i was going to use a toaster oven and broil them to medium.

Finish them off with montery jack cheese, bacon, lettuce, and some chipotle mayo!!

Does this sound ok???

Lones Green
02-04-2008, 01:49 PM
ive never made burgers in a toaster oven. at the beach, we stole someone's grill because we didn't have one, and we wanted burgers. thats not recommended though, hahaha

Invain
02-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Wouldn't it take quite a while to cook in the toaster oven? I'd think you'd burn the outside before you ever get the middle cooked. Dunno why it wouldn't work though, heat is heat.

Stumprrp
02-04-2008, 01:52 PM
hahaha thats great man! not an option right now lol, i asked my mom the master cook of the family and she thought it sounded real good, the toaster oven makes great steaks so i would think the burger would be good.

Stumprrp
02-04-2008, 01:53 PM
invain - they broil at 450 degrees.

whiteman90909
02-04-2008, 01:56 PM
An oven's an oven, right? It should work fine...

If I were you I'd get a box, line it with tinfoil, throw some charcoal in it, and throw a cooling rack over and viola! A grill.

Stumprrp
02-04-2008, 01:58 PM
haha genious!

kevowamo
02-04-2008, 02:15 PM
cheese, bacon, mayo...fat, fat, fat, which is all good (bc it sounds damn good!). so, given that, i would recommend some ground sirloin (94-96% lean). also, cut urself up some red onion and also sprinkle ground cayenne pepper on the burgers.

Stumprrp
02-04-2008, 06:14 PM
sounds good man, but i think the burgers would be a little tastier with 85/15 meat no?

VikingWarlord
02-04-2008, 06:34 PM
A couple things you should know.

Don't use a lot of Worcestershire sauce because too much liquid causes the burgers to fall apart. You also have to chop the onions and peppers REALLY small or else they also keep the burgers from holding together. You're better off using dried minced onions or onion powder to make it easier...though if you can make it work, that's basically my favorite way to prepare a burger.

I've never broiled a burger, but might give that a try sometime.

Stumprrp
02-04-2008, 06:37 PM
thanks man ill see how they come, im gonna make them for me and my girlfriend with a fresh salad and a few underage cocktails =)

VikingWarlord
02-04-2008, 06:56 PM
If you do marinate them like that, squeeze the hell out of them to get a bunch of the extra liquid out. If your meat has at least 15% fat, they'll hold together just fine.

RedSpikeyThing
02-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Sounds great! I'm with Wiking....just a couple of teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce in the meat, and let it sit in the fridge for a while. You could also try adding some garlic too :)

Stumprrp
02-04-2008, 10:31 PM
sounds sweet cant wait to try it!!!

Invain
02-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Eat an extra one for me :( I haven't had good home cooked stuff in quite a while now.

kcurrin
02-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Sounds like a winner.

cpc5304
02-07-2008, 10:40 PM
I get 92/8 beef or 95/5 (that is usually significantly more expensive that 92/8, though). To compensate for the possible dryness (even though I cook them slowly and leave them somewhat meduim rare), I put some italian dressing in the beef when I'm mixing in the other seasonings, that's a winner right there. The italian dressing gives it some zing and keeps the meat moist, burger eats like it's 80/20, but it's really 92/8 with a little bit of added fat from the dressing.

getb1g
02-08-2008, 07:20 AM
get a george foreman grill.. but yeah those burgers sound amazing!!!

SDS
02-08-2008, 07:38 AM
If you have a place in the yard you can build a fire, and you have access to some firewood, you can make a hobo meal. It takes a nice sized fire, and you have to let it burn down most of the day (you'll be using the red hot embers to cook with) but wrapping some beef, onions, potatos, and carrots in a foil packet and placing them directly on the coals, then covering them up with the coals and cooking for 15 minutes yields one of the best beef dishes ever.

borracho
02-15-2008, 10:14 AM
I've always liked throwing in mushrooms and tomatos in my burgers as well...

Ben Moore
02-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Throw all your spices in there. Make a ball with half the meat and flatten it out to about 1/2" thick. Then do the same with the other half. Put whatever cheese you want in the center of one of the halves (I'm partial to really sharp cheddar). Then place the other half on top, pinch the edges to ensure closure and grill as normal. These are awesome and extra juicy

kevowamo
02-15-2008, 01:03 PM
damn ben, that sounds really good. i might even sneak in some jalapeneos too!

Stumprrp
02-26-2008, 08:31 AM
these came out REALLY good, i used lean ground sirloin marinaded in worchester, the flavor was awesome!

zen
02-26-2008, 08:38 AM
these came out REALLY good, i used lean ground sirloin marinaded in worchester, the flavor was awesome!

I like to marinade chicken breast for a day in italian dressing, soy sause and worcestershire sauce. For burgers, I like just worcestershire. High heat (flame) can really sear/glaze on a good flavor with that.

Stumprrp
02-26-2008, 09:43 AM
i used 400 in the broiler, it was unreal.

TWINSCREW
03-04-2008, 11:17 PM
1 pnd ground turkey meat or filetminyon
garlic paste
oregano
basil
one whole egg to (keep it together)
pepper
whole or half an onion chopped fine
mix all, and slap some burgers together ahhhhhhh heaven

ProLogic
03-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Hey guys,

My parents are going away for 10 days soon so ill actually be able to cook dinner for myself everyday! i consider myself a pretty good cook for little experience.

I had an idea for burger to make for me and my friends, im looking for a few tips and help.

Basically, i was going to get some 80/20 beef, fine chop some onions and jalepenos and mix them in the meat, let it marinate in worchester sauce for a few hours...

Instead of pan cooking them because we dont have a grill i was going to use a toaster oven and broil them to medium.

Finish them off with montery jack cheese, bacon, lettuce, and some chipotle mayo!!

Does this sound ok???

I know you can buy a small can grill for around $10 at Safeway.

HipX
03-11-2008, 12:03 PM
I used to cook chicken burgers in my toaster oven and they were fine.

I highly recommend throwing an egg on your burger. Fry it over easy so when you bite into it, the yolk runs all over the place. Sounds strange, but it's delicious, and gives you an extra bit of protein.

Nosaj
03-12-2008, 05:57 AM
I used to cook chicken burgers in my toaster oven and they were fine.

I highly recommend throwing an egg on your burger. Fry it over easy so when you bite into it, the yolk runs all over the place. Sounds strange, but it's delicious, and gives you an extra bit of protein.

They do that at a local Hawaiian place by my house, it's delicious!

patrick3217
03-12-2008, 07:32 AM
Haha im about to get off work and im hungry.. gonna go home and make a burger with an egg on it.. havent had that in forever.. mmmm breakfast of champions.

killxswitch
03-12-2008, 09:00 AM
Man this is making me hungry. Some of the best burgers I ever had were ones my wife prepared with jalapenos and pepper jack cheese in the meat. Well, the jalapenos were chopped up and mixed into the ground turkey (which IMO has better flavor than ground beef, plus healthier), made two thin wide patties, slapped a piece of pepper jack inbetween and smushed the edges together, and had me grill 'em up. With mayo and mushrooms it was fantastic.

HipX
03-12-2008, 01:16 PM
For a true breakfast burger, make sure you add bacon to go with the egg!