PDA

View Full Version : How often can I clean/squat?

CleverName
02-05-2008, 12:13 AM
These are my two favorite exercises. I clean almost every time I'm at the gym and squat twice a week (heavy sets with low reps).

I'll probably keep my squats at twice a week still, but what about cleaning? Every two days maybe? I just want to give the muscles enough time to recover and all that and not overtrain. Most of my cleans are relatively lightweight (135lbs usually) because I'm still working on my form. :hello:

drew
02-05-2008, 06:20 AM
If the cleans are light, every 2 days is perfectly fine. Once you start getting heavier, you should cut it to one heavy day a week and can still probably do one day around 80%.

For squats, two heavy days a week will eventually take its toll. You can do it, but keep an eye on your recovery. I prefer one heavy day and one speed or high rep day.

JHarris
02-05-2008, 07:20 AM
It really depends, Clevername. If those are your two favorites, maybe you should get into OL'ing - then you can do them, the snatch and front squats nearly every day. After working up to it, you can certainly clean 3-4 times a week with 2 heavy sessions and squat 4 times a week with 2 heavy session, if not more. But you shouldn't jump into that. Build up to it. If you'd like some kind of a program, pm me and let me know what your training is like and what you'd like to fit in.

CleverName
02-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Okay, thanks. I'll switch one squat day so it's lighter. I'll keep cleaning a lot of lightweight, particularly for warming up, and have one heavy day a week.

Yeah, I'd really really love to get into OL'ing, but my gym kinda isn't really ideal for it. There's an Olympic style gym around 20 minutes away though. I'd need to sort some things out before I got way into it. Some day though.